Newcastle Utd 4 - 1 Northampton Town - 25/08/15 - Link to highlights in OP

Dave

Well this should calm the Aarons cries. Think we need to take things slow with him tbh.

Tbf it was only because Obertan was playing instead of him :lol: I personally don't have a problem with him coming off the bench as an impact player if the two wide players are Perez and Thauvin. But Obertan instead of him? nah that's BS and should never happen.

Well this should calm the Aarons cries. Think we need to take things slow with him tbh.

Tbf it was only because Obertan was playing instead of him :lol: I personally don't have a problem with him coming off the bench as an impact player if the two wide players are Perez and Thauvin. But Obertan instead of him? nah that's BS and should never happen.

I feel you man :lol:

We seemingly have a bunch of options now though. Pretty exciting.

thauvin and janmaat had a great partnership going on and not just because they both have floppy hair and yellow boots. thauvin burned their left back on the outside which was really promising because I was worried he was just going to constantly cut inside. played some lovely cross field balls too. has to start on Saturday

Darlow 6 - Nothing to do but some very good punches second-half.

Janmaat 8 - Too good for Northampton, good link-up with Thauvin and then Toney. Could have scored 2.

Haidara 6 - Steady

Williamson 7 - Would have been a 6 but for the goal and a brilliant header from under his own bar to steer it on top of the net

Lascelles 6 - Few shaky moments

Tiote 6 - Shocking tackle for the yellow. Looked a shade of the player 4-5 years ago

Gouffran 6 - Nowt wrong, nothing good. Meh.

Aarons 6 - The big let down on the night for me, expected more. Hopefully a few sub outings to get him up to speed.

De Jong 7 - Has a good ability to bring players into play with his head. Seems a simple skill but his cushioned headers into team mates are a big part of him

Thauvin 9 - He is going to be a hero here. Fans will love him.

Perez 6 - Did ok, nothing special.

bit worrying how easily Mitrovic gets wound up, some clogger gave him a shove and he looked like he was going spark him clean out

Seems to be like that coming off the bench  :lol:

Too eager to impress and impose himself on the game? He needs to start every week now like

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/25/florian-thauvin-sparks-newcastle-to-4-1-victory-over-northampton?

Some Newcastle players had come over more than a little slapdash but one was exempt from criticism. Thauvin is supposed to be less effective on the right than the left but you would never have guessed it. Virtually every time he touched the ball Northampton, and their left-back David Buchanan in particular, were left bewildered and St James’ bewitched. Encouragingly, the shimmies and stepovers were underpinned by real incision.

With the bulk of Newcastle’s chances created by the young Frenchman, De Jong twice came close to extending the lead before half-time.

In Adams, Northampton had a creator of their own and he did as much as anyone to keep the tie alive. Thauvin though simply refused to permit himself to be upstaged, something he emphasised by creating Newcastle’s third goal for the overlapping Daryl Janmaat, whose right- foot shot effectively extinguished the visitors’ hopes.

Thauvin, who else, created the fourth, headed in by Williamson, from another free-kick before receiving a standing ovation as he was replaced by Alexsandar Mitrovic.

Just got in, first match I've been to for a while. Impressed with Thauvin, looks real quality, him and Janmaat were a cut above down that flank. Centre backs both looked shaky, Tiote started poorly but got better as the night went on.

Perez was canny, couple of lovely mazy runs, but he isn't really cut out to play up top on his own. De Jong had some nice touches but wasn't as involved as I would've liked.

Aarons was poor on both flanks, didn't try take his man on at all and his touch was off all night. Gouffran ran about a lot.

Just got in, first match I've been to for a while. Impressed with Thauvin, looks real quality, him and Janmaat were a cut above down that flank. Centre backs both looked shaky, Tiote started poorly but got better as the night went on.

Perez was canny, couple of lovely mazy runs, but he isn't really cut out to play up top on his own. De Jong had some nice touches but wasn't as involved as I would've liked.

Aarons was poor on both flanks, didn't try take his man on at all and his touch was off all night. Gouffran ran about a lot.

Looks like he knows it.

@R_Aarons16

Happy to get some obviously well needed game time. Good win today though on to next round

Just got back from the game - the cash turnstile queues were huge so I missed the first 20 minutes (and three goals).

Thauvin had a great time, he'll be class here. Aarons was non-existant, Janmaat superb. Having now seen Mike Williamson score in person, there's another thing to tick off my bucket list!