Janmaat 9 brilliant performance

Williamson 6 s**** but got a goal

Lascelles 6 alreet but not sure he's anywhere near ready

Haidara 6 Great cross for the first goal

Gouffran 5 Crap footballer

Tiote 6 was utter s**** first half but got a bit better 2nd half

Thauvin 9 outstanding

De Jong 7 excellent but faded a bit

Aarons 5 Probably a generous score tbh, he had a really bad night and his body language suggested he knew it

Perez 7 Thought he was good again

How / What was De Jong's style? Like what was doing throughout?

The goals are on YT too for anyone region-blocked by Sky.

Well chuffed with the result. Weak opposition I guess, but signs of positive changes to our playing style from the goals. Changes that should bring goals in other games too.

1. Thauvin in virtually the six-yard box (!) getting onto a cross from the other side. Fantastic finish fwiw.

2. Thauvin hitting a whipped freekick that could well creep in even without the SDJ touch. That kind of freekick will drive keepers mad.

3. Good ball out to Thauvin, well controlled, and nice drive in and pass to Janmaat, who was very far forward.

4. Non floated set penis!

If it spurs him on like that, get her a season ticket there.

She seems confused whether she's in Ireland or Britain.

Yep, soz about that. Bought her a couple of pints in the Irish Centre before the game: confused her with diddle-lee-toon-tunes and Tyneside Irish Blarney...

I really enjoyed the game last night, the atmosphere was a bit flat but I suppose it's to be expected on an early round cup game. McClaren has a few selection problems now in my opinion; I'm assuming Thauvin has been bought to play on the left given how Sissoko seems a nailed on starter in that position but the ease in which Thauvin and Janmaat seemed to gel on that right hand side is very encouraging. Both players were head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch in terms of quality and I can only see that partnership getting better the more game time they're given. Maybe it will open up the possibility of Sissoko playing a more central position in a similar role of how Toure operates for Man City? I think it's also worth a mention at how well Tiote played. I was surprised to see a couple of people criticise him but I thought he was fairly dominant. We've lacked that aggressive force in the middle of the pitch and his distribution was much faster.

The left side seemed a bit of a shambles though, Aarons surprised me at how bad he was. I think after a couple of mistakes it must have got to his head and then it just spiraled out of control. Haidara and him didn't seem to link up well at all, going forward or defensively. The centre backs also seemed poor. I suppose it's to be expected of Williamson because he's quite clearly not even of the standard of a squad player now - even with his goal - but Lascelles was equally poor. He got caught under the ball a few times, didn't particularly look comfortable or mobile with it at his feet and had a nightmare with their forward in the air. He could definitely benefit from a loan.

The most encouraging thing for me was Steve McClaren. We were sat right behind the dug out and he was going absolutely mental at certain points in that second half. He audibly called this floated cross field ball Gouffran played "absolutely shit" or some variation. It seems like he has a real plan of how he wants us to play and an idea of how to go about making it happen. It'll take time but I'm convinced we're heading in the right direction.

I might be easily pleased but I was chuffed to see the players that were on the bench actually being put through their paces by a coach rather than just letting them piss about with the ball which was the case under Pardew. The warm-up drills seemed far more advanced with the first team as well. Especially the stuff Cathro was doing with the forwards.

How / What was De Jong's style? Like what was doing throughout?

Was just looking to get involved with everything. Linked up really well with Perez, knocked a few high balls on for him, some nice passing interchanges. But it was his passing range that really impressed me, played a few balls similar to the one to Thauvin for the third goal; couple of weighted through balls to Mitrovic that were just slightly off as well, otherwise he would have been in 1v1.

Not seen it mentioned anywhere, but Darlows kicking was atrocious.

Was nice to see Simpsons telling Gouffran to inform the team to keep passing it quickly when we were winning 4-1.

Also noticed that if we can't play a goal kick short we then try and aim for the full backs on the half way line to try and gain some territory. Feels so much better than hoofing it in the vague territory of Perez/Cisse etc

Lovely stuff from Thauvin like. The awareness to find Janmaat is class, good goal that one.

Perez's movement in the box for the disallowed goal was class as well, as was De Jong's ball out to Thauvin for the third goal. So good to have some genuine quality on our set pieces as well, been missing that since Cabaye left, and even when he was here, we wasted most of our set pieces by floating them to Williamson.

Refreshing that we scored four goals and put a lower league team to the sword with relative ease like we should. I feel like under Pardew this game would have been a real struggle and we'd have nicked it 1-0 with an own goal or something.

Thauvin looks quality on the highlights reel, involved in every goal is some full debut, even if it is against Northampton!

They were doing shooting drills but in groups of 4. They swapped between short passes to low crosses with each player making a different run or lay-off resulting in a shot. Each time was different to the next and it was done incredibly quickly.

Was this posted? Nice to read and a sign we might become 'liked' again.

Northampton Town manager Chris Wilder says Newcastle paid his League Two side "ultimate respect" by fielding a strong side in their League Cup tie.

New £12m signing Florian Thauvin scored as the Magpies won 4-1.

"I think they paid us an ultimate respect with the team that they picked and the subs on the bench," Wilder told BBC Radio Northampton.

"Quite a lot of the early rounds are filled in with Under-21 players and they certainly didn't."

Thauvin was involved in all four Newcastle goals, scoring the first and setting up Siem De Jong before Marc Richards pulled one back for the Cobblers.

However, France Under-21 winger Thauvin set up Daryl Janmaat and Mike Williamson after the break to send the Magpies through, and Wilder was impressed by the professionalism of Steve McClaren's side.

"We were a little disappointed with the goals we conceded, but we can say there were magnificent balls in.

"A couple of times we were on the rocks and we can also say look at the unbelievable quality we were up against," he said.

"The right winger they've just paid £12m for, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Jack Colback came on - their attitude was absolutely spot on in taking us seriously."