Freddie Woodman (now playing for Preston North End)

sempuki

didn't know he was 20, thought he was younger for some reason

bin everyone else off and let him fight it out with an experienced keeper like reina until he's ready to take over imo

Would rather send him on loan tbh, at his age sitting on the bench won't do him much good.

fair enough if you can find a good enough club that will make him first choice, unlikely imo

if he is the "real deal" at 20 he should be getting ready for first team football with us imo, play him in the cups and cover for the more experienced keeper

He'd be destroyed by our fans if he played in a game and let a goal in due to "crisp packet hands". There's a big step up in quality from Under 20s football and the Premiership. Better to send him out on loan to prove himself as per Krul and Forster.

i get that perspective, just don't agree with it

He's had game time and plenty of it. I wouldn't have any issues with bumping him up to 3rd, maybe even 2nd choice if we get someone like Reina or Cabellero. Let him learn at the club alongside someone like that, another season out on loan next year to maybe a Championship side, then take it from there.

I'd send him out on loan to a championship side if possible, with a recall option until January. possibly after giving him some games in pre-season and maybe a debut in the league cup, and then have someone like Elliot on the bench and recall Woodman if our new keeper gets injured, then they can fight it out to start. Reassess him in January based on his performances, although i'd only recall if there is a serious prospect of him getting game time. If we are mid table come the end of the season and he's been playing well but is still behind whoever our new number one is, then maybe give him a few games at the end.

Gareth Southgate's his godfather? That's definitely going to be the reason Mackems use when he starts getting chosen over Pickford.

Aye his fat fatha and Southgate are best mates from way back.  They co-wrote a book, Woody And Nord (Southgate's nick name) about their friendship years ago.

Gareth Southgate's his godfather? That's definitely going to be the reason Mackems use when he starts getting chosen over Pickford.

Aye his fat fatha and Southgate are best mates from way back.  They co-wrote a book, Woody And Nord (Southgate's nick name) about their friendship years ago.

:lol:

.....why the highlight and lol???

..am I missing something here?

.....why the highlight and lol???

..am I missing something here?

the fact it exists...tell me it exists

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xr/3123390.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDA1F657430FFD3BAF20C85F4FF6995EFB4BFBB0610381A0F0A55A1E4F32AD3138

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woody-Nord-Friendship-Gareth-Southgate/dp/071814595X

if anyone's interested. Have to admit the thought has crossed my mind  :lol:

its rated as 4.8/5 after 7 reviews, maybe a hidden sports classic

You can buy it for 1 pence? :lol:

They rinse you on the shipping charge. Works out to about the same cost - or sometimes slightly over - as the "normal price + free shipping".

Newcastle United goalkeeper Freddie Woodman is not fazed by the prospect of challenging for the number 1 spot next season.

The Magpies could go into pre-season with Karl Darlow, Rob Elliot, Matz Sels and Tim Krul all on their books.

But Woodman , who has just won the World Cup with England Under-20s, isn’t worried.

He said: “Now I want to go back to Newcastle and impress. I have a right to challenge.”

Woodman is very much a wise head on young shoulders and has been recalling his heroics at the World Cup final last weekend.

Back then he saved a crucial penalty to help hand England the World Cup and deny Venezuela.

Reflecting on his approach to the game, Woodman said: “You can get lost in the emotions of the game and too caught up in it.

“One of the notes I wrote before the final said: Stay in control”.

And when asked about the future of the England youngsters, Woodman, speaking to the Daily Mail, said: “We have just spent five weeks together and we have won the World Cup together.

“We’re one big happy family.”

Newcastle are expected to move on either Karl Darlow, Matz Sels or Tim Krul while Woodman could be loaned out.

Sels is wanted by Anderlecht but the Belgian club have been told they must pay 100% of his wages to make the deal happen.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/freddie-woodman-not-afraid-battle-13202463

• 3 weeks later...