Freddie Woodman (now playing for Preston North End)

sempuki

Generally his distribution has been okay, actually looks like he aims his kicks towards one of our players rather than an aimless punt. He had no chance with the finish from Ings and a penalty is a lottery. He actually has made some decent saves and forced the forward into a decision through his positioning, however yet to see him leave his line or collect a cross convincingly within his 6 yard box. Ulitmately he is two games into the Premier League so quite harsh to judge write him off just yet.

On 22/08/2021 at 01:44, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He’s been fine. 

And he's going to get better with more games.

I hope he will be given time to play and that we don't rush Darlow or Dubravka back just because they have more experience.

This is a great opportunity to get to know how good he is and how good he can become. But he needs to play regulary for the first team to get the experience.

Edited by Toon No9

38 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

Almost every keeper does in the beginning. It often goes away with age and experience.

Only way to find out is to let him play games.

Very true but if we're not going to get relegated this year, the lad needs to learn to come off his line occasionally, we don't have the luxury to give him 30+ games to find his feet. Not that he's been directly responsible for any goal conceded but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.

If Darlow comes back in for him then it’s safe to say he’s got no future here. Could see him putting up with a season as our number 2 keeper at least challenging for the number 1 shirt, but if Darlow returns ahead of him before Dubravka is fit then it shows what Bruce thinks.

• 4 weeks later...

Safe to say this “kid’s” Toon career is over - four uncertain performances, a tossing under the bus and the returning number two looking measurably more solid. Bruce will never play him again, and best case he’ll get a loan in January.

Another supposed great talent we’ve managed to clip the wings of…

I was all for him coming in as No 2 or even challenging Dubravka this season but tbh he's looked a million miles from being a PL quality keeper. Yes he's still young but Given had played two full seasons for us at the same age.

16 hours ago, Raconteur said:

Safe to say this “kid’s” Toon career is over - four uncertain performances, a tossing under the bus and the returning number two looking measurably more solid. Bruce will never play him again, and best case he’ll get a loan in January.

Another supposed great talent we’ve managed to clip the wings of…

Wouldn't say he was thrown under the bus like. I have zero respect for Bruce, but after those howlers last week you can hardly blame him for bringing Darlow back.

Just now, TRon said:

Wouldn't say he was thrown under the bus like. I have zero respect for Bruce, but after those howlers last week you can hardly blame him for bringing Darlow back.

I agree, nowt to do with Bruce or the coaching staff (for a change).

He hasn't taken his chances. Shame. OK its a few games but you've got to hit the ground running as a keeper, there's no hiding. Long way back for him becoming a prem standard keeper. Not sure anyone in the league would take a chance on him based on what we've seen. He needs to move to a Championship team who have a decent chance of getting promoted and be in a position to get a full season of games regardless of performance and results.

Guest neesy111
42 minutes ago, Dokko said:

He hasn't taken his chances. Shame. OK its a few games but you've got to hit the ground running as a keeper, there's no hiding. Long way back for him becoming a prem standard keeper. Not sure anyone in the league would take a chance on him based on what we've seen. He needs to move to a Championship team who have a decent chance of getting promoted and be in a position to get a full season of games regardless of performance and results.

This, however I feel any young GK would be fucked under this setup.

54 minutes ago, TRon said:

Might’ve been an idea to tell the lad though rather than letting the papers leak it, again.

Agree with everyone else, he doesn’t look good enough at all. Can save a penalty, but apart from that he looks distinctly average.

26 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Might’ve been an idea to tell the lad though rather than letting the papers leak it, again.

Agree with everyone else, he doesn’t look good enough at all. Can save a penalty, but apart from that he looks distinctly average.

Well yeah I assumed Bruce had actually told the lad before leaking it to the press but nothing would surprise me there tbh. 

52 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

This, however I feel any young GK would be fucked under this setup.

Goes for any young player here but a goalkeeper has to be the hardest role to establish yourself in. Bruce hasn't got a clue how to defend, imagine him coaching a player in a role he's never played. I know we have speciality coaches but I bet you a manager like Rafa was telling  them what he wants from his keepers, what they need to focus on and what's worked Geet elsewhere. 

Sadly his development would have been better of back with Swansea for another season. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...