Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Just now, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I don’t really get the idea of replacing Shelvey with Gallagher on loan, surely they’re both totally different profiles of midfielders? 

Obviously trust Ashworth and Howe etc.

Longstaff can play number 6. Or we could switch to a 4231 and play double pivot.

1 minute ago, AJ9 said:

Kind of like a an old family pet passing away this. Feels like he’s been here forever. Some great moments in an NUFC shirt. Wish him well.

Signed by Schteve McClaren. Seems like a lifetime ago.

I had more than my fair share of gripes against him, primarily when he clearly couldn't give a fuck under Bruce. But that just showed me he's motivation-driven; if you've got a shit manager you're getting a shit player. 

Best of luck to him. 

I've never taken to him. Redeems himself every new manager, then reverts back to type. Injury this time stopped him under Howe, so at least he ends it here in the form. Still think we should have sold him after the Saiss run in. 

Love this ‘Howe desperate not to lose the player’ angle, same with Wood. 

I’m sure Eddie doesn’t mind at all when players that are twice as good as the previous ones land in his lap. 

Dare to dream that we’re close to getting a midfielder?

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I don’t really get the idea of replacing Shelvey with Gallagher on loan, surely they’re both totally different profiles of midfielders? 

Obviously trust Ashworth and Howe etc.

Think that's kind of the point to be honest, our squad has moved on from Shelvey being the deep quarter back role that he used to play, especially given Schar and Botman can play them same sort of balls with equal success.

Shelvey's biggest limitation is that he's not the most athletic, and can't really press in the way we'd need him too, which is really important in the way we play under Howe.

He's also been injured all season, so not only are you removing him and his wages, you're also not really losing anything in an active player, and allowing yourself to reuse them funds.

Now if we get say Gallagher, you get a Longstaff replacement, who can do everything he can do defensively, but with better distribution, passing and shoot ability.

Think it's a really smart piece of business tbh.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Love this ‘Howe desperate not to lose the player’ angle, same with Wood. 

I’m sure Eddie doesn’t mind at all when players that are twice as good as the previous ones land in his lap. 

Dare to dream that we’re close to getting the midfielder?