Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

One more of the Championship has-been hanger-onners away then. Reunited with his "favourite teammate of all time" Jack Colback. Lovely.

In seriousness, his time here consists of some moments of genuine quality interspersed with season after season of fitness issues, untimely red cards, 1 canny performance out of every 12 or so games and direct free kicks wafted into the stands.

As with Ritchie, Gayle, Clark, Hayden, Darlow etc if he'd been moved on within 12-18 months of our promotion he'd probably be really fondly remembered. As it is, almost six years after our promotion I can't wait to see the back of the po-faced misery. But of course that's mainly Ashley's fault rather than Jonjo's. Good luck to him.

Few good moments for us but then I’ll think if that lethargic tracking back while teams cut through our soft gooey centre.. that was all on his watch.

And despite him changing his ways somewhat, he would always carry that risk of being red carded for yellowish tackles.. as refs fucking hated him apparently.

Eddie Howe is pretty ruthless it has to be said.. I mean, he probably just told him, “Jonjo, we’re playing football that you just don’t have the legs for, time to move on”

No hard feelings, just cold hard reality.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

We were still playing a bastardised version of Bruceball at the time.

Defend for your life and hope Maxi or Wilson pulls something out ? Not from after the Leeds game we didn't.

What the fuck are Forest gonna do if they get relegated!?

Not our problem I suppose. 

Anyway, Shelvey. I reckon if his shot from inside his own half away at Shef Wed had gone in, it might have been the best Newcastle goal I’ve ever seen. But it hit the bar and we got beat. Kind of a summary of his time here in some ways.

17 minutes ago, duo said:

Loan replacements? - just get your cheque book out and worry about FFP later.  Stop worrying it'll be alright.

Maybe who we really want isn’t available until Summer.

47 minutes ago, madras said:

Defend for your life and hope Maxi or Wilson pulls something out ? Not from after the Leeds game we didn't.

I said bastardised version. You don't go from 30% possession to 60% overnight.

On the provision we do replace before he goes. Anything that speeds up the transition of replacing the old guard who are proven not good enough for where we are going (Shelvey, Fraser, Wood, Murphy etc), with new and exciting talent, is fine by me.