Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

3 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I actually quite like Shelvey, but if we can get him off the physio table and off the wage bill, and replace him with someone more dependable it’s a no-brainer.

I don’t think he has the physical attributes to play in Eddie’s system. Yes, he can play a nice diagonal or through all, but we need more from our holding midfielder. 

2 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

I don’t think he has the physical attributes to play in Eddie’s system. Yes, he can play a nice diagonal or through all, but we need more from our holding midfielder. 

He did pretty well for Howe second half of last season. I think he’d have featured quite a bit and got that extension easily if he didn’t get his injury. Saying that, if someone is willing to buy him now we should move on obviously.

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

It would be great if we could shift him.

It says a lot about where we are now that we've not missed him at all.

I agree - if we can get the reported £3m plus his wages off the books then should give us a bit of a boost for this month or summer dealings. He looked like he was going to contribute this season until the injuries, but despite focusing on his nutrition and fitness it is probably came a bit too late in his career and you'd imagine would only get worse the older he gets.

Happy if he stays until the summer, happier if he is replaced. Got zero complaints about Shelvey under Howe, unfortunate fitness aside.

Certainly others I would shift first but freeing up the wages and getting more for him now than the summer is probably enticing. Would prefer Ritchie, Lewis, Fraser, dummett and darlow move first.

I can't stand him, the occasional hit and hope long ball doesn't do it for me, there is a reason we ended up with him in the Ashley era, shit attitude, shit athlete, I will be glad to see the back of him if we can get rid.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

If we can get a replacement in then let him go. Otherwise shouldn't even be entertained.

This. He’s our only backup midfielder of note. Happily upgrade him to someone as technical and more athletic though.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Random. If we can for sure get a replacement, an upgrade ideally, then let him go. But given how short we are in midfield at the minute I can't see that happening this late in the window.

He gets a new contract if he plays two more games, so I’d rather play Karl Darlow central midfield

Even if he's fit, he's completely gone as a footballer at this level. Great vision and passing but he just can't run anymore.

If forest offer us any decent fee, we let him go and save on a shit ton of wages. Patch the position up with a loan until May.