Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I have flip flopped on him a few times. 

I loved him for a good while.  Even when it seemed unfashionable to do so on here. 

Then it got to the point where I didn't want him to play for us again.  I think it was after the daft, brainless red card for two yellows against Spurs.

He returned to a bit of form under Howe and looked to be really working to fit into the system.  It might of been a case of the ol 'absence makes the heart grow fonder.'  But I wanted him starting earlier this season and thought we were missing him at one point. 

But I don't think he was ever right for what Howe is trying to build in midfield and if he is on £80k a week.  Then those wages can certainly be put to good use on a better and younger player. 

I see Forest are already having to loan out 2 of their signings from last summer, Toffolo & O'Brien. Dennis has been pretty bad as well, the scatter gun approach not really working.

5 minutes ago, KDT said:

I see Forest are already having to loan out 2 of their signings from last summer, Toffolo & O'Brien. Dennis has been pretty bad as well, the scatter gun approach not really working.

It's working really well? If you'd told Forest after the Play-Off Final they'd be 13th after half a season they'd have bitten your hand off.  I don't think they'd have been anywhere near that if they'd not done what they have.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It's working really well? If you'd told Forest after the Play-Off Final they'd be 13th after half a season they'd have bitten your hand off.  I don't think they'd have been anywhere near that if they'd not done what they have.

Yep. I think being where they are after having to basically buy an entire squad in the summer is testament to how good the manager is. If they're a bit more settled next season they might be even higher.

I was an ardent hater of his but, imo, he redeemed himself somewhat with his fitness and play last year.  Had he been healthy from the start i think the club would have been happy to extend him.  But, since he wasn't I'm sure the club told him that he's no longer in our plans for next year so he'd likely sit and not trigger the extension.  Wood and Shelvey are both part of a limited rebalancing which I'm fine with.  Just surprised that it came in January and with Shelvey, this late in the window.  Hopefully someone is queued up to replace.

I still think there's a real chance they could go down, they're the 3rd lowest scorers and conceded the 2nd most. IMO it's down to other clubs under performing (Leicester, Wolves, Leeds & West Ham) that they're in the position that they are. Their next few games will do a lot for how they end up, their run in is pretty awful.

17 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I thought they had little chance after the way they recruited, huge credit to Cooper and his staff that they seem to have moulded these players into a decent team already. 

Even if they do go down in the end they’ve done well. 

Edited by Nine

Hasn’t done too badly since the takeover, and seemed to get his head together and do the extra work to get fit. However, for me, the lasting memory was when he pathetically and aimlessly floated that last minute free kick when Lewis Dunk was in goal for Brighton when Howe was about to sign. Wont miss him.

20 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Didn't he complain that life under Rafa was too hard and he preferred it under Bruce?

Tells you all you need to know really.

he never looked like he was busting a gut - just kind of walked around the pitch