Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

6 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Genuinely think we should pull the plug on this deal if we can’t get a cm replacement in. 

We’re an injury away from a infamous Schar cdm game. 

I reckon Botman would be a good cdm. Great passer of the ball ;)

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

:lol:

Deadline day sends people proper loopy.

Is it so mental to consider we don’t really have a natural cm who sits in? 

Bruno is playing that role but it isn’t his best position. Joelinton can cover but usually sits on the left side of a 3 if he drops to midfield. Both Longstaff/Willock are better in transition and breaking forward.

It’s not so mental to see we’re exposed with an injury? Surely? Unless I’m over worrying about this. 

I think its clear that apart from an injury crisis, Shelvey wasn't gonna be used this season, and activate the auto-extenion to his contract, but the 'surprise' from the club (mentioned by EH) was probably that they didn't think anyone would come in for him, and he'd just run his contract down and leave for nothing in the summer anyway. So any 'nominal' fee is a bonus, as well as getting his wages off the bill.

7 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Is it so mental to consider we don’t really have a natural cm who sits in? 

Bruno is playing that role but it isn’t his best position. Joelinton can cover but usually sits on the left side of a 3 if he drops to midfield. Both Longstaff/Willock are better in transition and breaking forward.

It’s not so mental to see we’re exposed with an injury? Surely? Unless I’m over worrying about this. 

You said "an injury"*, which is a massive over-exaggeration. Longstaff is perfectly capable of playing deeper, for one. There'd probably need to be another four injuries to midfielders for Schär to be considered there.

Shelvey's played 34 minutes in the league this season and hasn't made a start. Even if he isn't replaced we're basically where we've been all year.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

You said "an injury"*, which is a massive over-exaggeration. Longstaff is perfectly capable of playing deeper, for one. There'd probably need to be another four injuries to midfielders for Schär to be considered there.

Shelvey's played 34 minutes in the league this season and hasn't made a start. Even if he isn't replaced we're basically where we've been all year.

We also now have Maxi back which frees up Willock and Joelinton to possibly play in the middle either side of Bruno, Gordon can play as an AM so wouldn't take much of a reshuffle for two of Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff or Willock to play as a two with Gordon further forward as a 10. We're fine imo.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think we’re vulnerable there. I think that’s why Howe has mentioned it a couple of times in the press and removing someone that can adequately play there seems mental to me. We’ve been fine so far because there hasn’t been too many injuries. Hopefully there isn’t in the later half of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'd still like us to bring a decent CM in, mind, not saying I don't want us to replace Shelvey in the squad. Just don't think it's as dire as is being made out.

3/10, marra. 

He's no great loss. Several years past his shelf life here, and hasn't been part of the 11 for a long time. At worst its losing a relatively poor option from the bench, at best, its a past it, injury prone overpaid player off the books and an opportunity to replace him, or for Anderson or the other reserves to step up and show they belong.