Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

No hard feelings. His performance may have been partly psyching himself out but let's be honest, we've seen enough matches from him in our own shirt with even more terrible challenges than he managed last night. It was nothing out of the ordinary for him. 

Didn't catch the post-match but I'm sure it was tongue in cheek. Anyone using 'whingebags' and it not being a joke is corny as fuck. :lol:

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Mark of our progress that we didn’t just extend him for a body. He’s bottom 6 quality at best. 

Like the kid but he just doesn’t have the lungs or the body for elite football. 

He didn't have it 5 years ago. He's always been a mid-table player at best, he only stood out here because our standards were so low. Him and Colback would be run off the park now. In fact he was yesterday, he only stayed on the pitch because we had a ref from the 1990s in charge.

7 minutes ago, wormy said:

No hard feelings. His performance may have been partly psyching himself out but let's be honest, we've seen enough matches from him in our own shirt with even more terrible challenges than he managed last night. It was nothing out of the ordinary for him.

He was basically Shelvey minus the Howe factor. I feel a bit sorry for him as his career would've probably finished better with another 18 months here, but it was his own choice to leave it turns out.

Edited by 80

Just reading a Forest forum and a lot of them calling him a liability, complaining about his lack of energy and running, his slowness, reluctance to track back and saying that his long range wafted passes are predictable and pointless.

We had near enough eight years of this shit so fair play to them for spotting it after about eight games :lol:

He did well playing our support for fools by putting in good performances at the right time to keep us interested. That and a well placed preseason interview talking up his dedication to his fitness in the off season, shedding a few pounds. Finally taking his football seriously. 

I'll forever give him credit for the manner in which is left, but I had been cold on him for the past 4 years or so. 

He should have applied himself when he was a younger, more mobile player. 

Edited by Weezertron

42 minutes ago, Mountain said:

God it was good, too cringe nowadays, I can't watch the modern ones.

Old Who is the best who <3

(albeit there are also a lot of rubbish ones lol been rewatching recently)

He couldn't get near bruno all game that's how slow and labouring he is. Every challenge was from behind couldn't keep up with play he wouldn't look out of place in the five a side masters alongside bernie slaven et Al. 

Edited by andycap

3 hours ago, Pilko said:

Just reading a Forest forum and a lot of them calling him a liability, complaining about his lack of energy and running, his slowness, reluctance to track back and saying that his long range wafted passes are predictable and pointless.

We had near enough eight years of this shit so fair play to them for spotting it after about eight games :lol:

No axe to grind with the bloke himself but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling seeing another club having these debates. 

Eddie Howe's not daft. He knew Shelvey's time was up and no way was he going to sustain the energy levels required by this squad.

Shelvey was decent enough at times but his out of the box shots and goals plus the odd few Hollywood passes can paper over the massive cracks in his overall game over a season.

Good luck to him and he goes with no ill will from me.

The game on Friday was just Shelvey trying to impress the forest fans and also trying to make a statement to us that he's still got what it takes to be a part for us in a look what you're missing out on kind of thing. 

It made him look a bit butcherish (is that a word?:lol:) and he was basically nullified but as I say, good luck, he's forests asset/problem now.

Shelvey said he had nothing but good words for Newcastle and with a smile they were a load of whinge bags and he was off to the dressing room to tell them. Wish him the best, we all know his limitations and tbf I think he does as well. He looked like he was buying into the new regime and picked up an injury which I think ultimately did for his time here. Forest come in and offer silly wages, I mean, it’s a complete no brainer.

5 hours ago, magvicar said:

Eddie Howe's not daft. He knew Shelvey's time was up and no way was he going to sustain the energy levels required by this squad.

Shelvey was decent enough at times but his out of the box shots and goals plus the odd few Hollywood passes can paper over the massive cracks in his overall game over a season.

Good luck to him and he goes with no ill will from me.

The game on Friday was just Shelvey trying to impress the forest fans and also trying to make a statement to us that he's still got what it takes to be a part for us in a look what you're missing out on kind of thing. 

It made him look a bit butcherish (is that a word?:lol:) and he was basically nullified but as I say, good luck, he's forests asset/problem now.

Yeah but didn't Shelvey ask to leave? I feel like I remember Howe saying he didn't want to sell.

Edited by mikejaxer

8 hours ago, toon25 said:

Still can't believe they paid £15 million for Wood :lol:

Is that actually official? Because on Sky when they were interviewing Wood they had a caption on the bottom of the screen that he is on loan.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Is that actually official? Because on Sky when they were interviewing Wood they had a caption on the bottom of the screen that he is on loan.

Both I think. He's technically on loan but the terms surrounding obligation to buy have been triggered, however it couldn't be made loan to permanent outside the window.

That's a guess like.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Both I think. He's technically on loan but the terms surrounding obligation to buy have been triggered, however it couldn't be made loan to permanent outside the window.

That's a guess like.

That has alleviated some concern, sounds about right. I fucking hope it is, don't ever want to see him back here, loveable Kiwi that he is. But I do hope that him and Shelvey will keep Forest up, would feel a bit guilty if they went down after signing so many ex-Toon players in a bid to stay up. Colback as well, dear me.

13 hours ago, mikejaxer said:

Yeah but didn't Shelvey ask to leave? I feel like I remember Howe saying he didn't want to sell.

Yeah, it's a funny one because Shelvey was one game away from activating a year extension and I think Howe wanted him for this season as simply back up but I have a feeling the hierarchy have took the opportunity to take what Forest offered, maybe against Howe's wishes, but if so I could see both sides to this.

I think Shelvey would've liked an extra year and likely we may have triggered his extension if Forest hadn't come knocking for Wood and Him.

It's clearly worked in our favour as it stands.