Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Just now, Yorkie said:

Weird given he's cup tied. :icon_scratch:

Unless livescore have it wrong. Looks like they have.

Edit.... Looks like they've confused with George Shelvey

Edited by madras

• 2 weeks later...

Forest fans think he was their best player when he came on. We were just starting to see the best of him when he got injured so I think there's still a good player there. But now whether with someone else's coaching he won't be as good, we will have to see! 

He’s ridiculously underrated on here. Always been a decent enough player for us and was probably our best player in the Championship.

Remember his form for us under Howe was keeping Bruno out of the side for long periods last season and massively contributed to us staying up. 

i think he was underrated. not one for the long term though just the remainder of this season.

i know people who know his family and kids through school etc.

his wife used to be in s club juniors or something - not relevant i know but just an aside.

but anyway his wife and kids are absolutely devastated as they thought the area was going to be their permanent home.

I think most here were happy to have him coming back from injury. Also thought it was pretty unanimous he barely put a foot under Howe and he got plenty of credit for it.

Also fair to say there are only a few people if any questioned his ability. Limiting pace aside. However his application and motivation prior to Howe followed the same pattern at every club and under every manager. It was widely scrutinized with good reason.

I'm sure there have been plenty of OTT reactions. There are for every player here but especially those that give people the reason to be skeptical. Jonjo certainly did. Not sure much of the critique was for his ability.

I'm disappointed we didn't keep him until summer but also saw why we shifted him, like most of us I thought he was getting shifted with a replacement in the bag. We have gambled and in hindsight I'd rather we kept him until his contract ran down.  He had a nice redemption arc and I'm sad to see him go.

I really think it makes at most a 5-10% difference whether we have Shelvey or not, if that. He's proven to be 'alright' when he's fit and in top form, which isn't often. 

He can't do anything at all to fill in for what Bruno offers, so I really don't think it matters that much either way.

We can't just think about transfer windows in isolation. Sure, we didn't identify a CM that we could get on terms we're happy with, but we moved on someone who ultimately has no future here. 

3 hours ago, McCormick said:

He’s ridiculously underrated on here. Always been a decent enough player for us and was probably our best player in the Championship.

Remember his form for us under Howe was keeping Bruno out of the side for long periods last season and massively contributed to us staying up. 

Not having that, like Bruno was slowly integrated into the side and rightly so. There was no way he'd be 'kept out' of any side in favour of Jonjo Shelvey.

I think he's rated with fairness and perspective on here. A fine passer of the ball but lacking in athleticism. Needed a decent manager to get the most out of his specific set of skills in the context of what a top-half level CM should be in 2023.

Edit: under inept fucking cunts characteristic of the previous regime, his limitations were obvious.

Edited by toon25

Yeah that's complete bollocks. Howe didn't want to change a winning side and when Bruno did come in, it was in a number 8 with Shelvey.

I'd be surprised if Shelvey is seen in the PL from next season. Forest will find out that he's well off the pace.

16 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Feel like shit. Just want him back [emoji38]

I won't miss Shelvey running backwards, holding the CBs hand and demanding the ball.  Thus reducing the number of players we have ahead of the ball to retain possession once we've progressed it.

Seriously, he's just doing in this video what Schar and Botman do for us now. 

Won't miss him.

• 3 weeks later...

Atrocious today for Forest, gave away a penalty and then chickened out of a header which led to second goal.

Any fleeting moments where I think we shouldn’t have let him go evaporated entirely when I saw that 🙂

Ah, Forest fans getting the full Shelvey experience. A package of highlights from his debut featuring his unbelievable passing range followed by weeks of fuck all other than long balls and free kicks wafted into the stands and petulance, either by refusing to track back or doing it really poorly leading to a pen, red card or goal against.

Someone'll bump this again in August when he has his next good game for them.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Making 30 signings and starting a midfield of Colback and Shelvey is genuinely amazing. 

Their decision to sign Wood having seen him play for us for a year was even more baffling.