Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Lascelles impressed Rafa from pulling up players more senior than him for lack of effort. He is obviously in his role as captain tasked with maintaining standards.

However I will add that I'm not sure being confrontational etc works for all players, some will respond to it, others won't. It doesn't strike me as hugely healthy to isolate and alienate players, but what turns me moderately sympathetic is that Diame has never delivered on his talent and appears to have been happily coasting.

This sort of stuff always happens on the training pitch. The worry is it deliberately being made public  seemingly to scapeegoat Diame.

Captain telling a lazy player he's lazy. Not so long ago that would have been a mild comment. These days players are iccle snowflakes.

Hope Lascelles goes back for more. Slap the plodder harder, maybe

Me too. Needs to fuck him up or back him down. Leadership (old style).

Guest neesy111

It should be up to the manager and coaches to say if players are lazy etc.

Too much is made of captains being leaders etc, every player on the pitch should equal in terms of th leadership they carry imo.

It should be up to the manager and coaches to say if players are lazy etc.

Too much is made of captains being leaders etc, every player on the pitch should equal in terms of th leadership they carry imo.

True that, neesey. But if players are being lazy twats and not putting it in. I think it is right that the captain, leaders on the team or lads thay give a fuck in general. Should get involved and say something.

Obviously nobody was there and we don’t know how it went down. But maybe Lascelles had already spoken with Diame, before digging him out publicly? Maybe he really was being that much of a shithouse and strolling about, he deserved it. The way he plays during games, I can easily imagine him being like that.

Yeah, I have re-read the second paragraph and don’t agree with that. In all sports I have played, you have captains and lads that just set an example and try to lead others, usually in a positive way. It is a personality thing more than anything.

Doesn't Benitez encourage this sort of thing? Remember reading somewhere that while at Valencia he'd encourage fights in training and the changing room when players weren't pulling their weight.

Sounds completely made up.

Guest ManDoon

I’m a fan of it. Means training is intense, diame is lucky he never caught a dig from lascelles like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't Benitez encourage this sort of thing? Remember reading somewhere that while at Valencia he'd encourage fights in training and the changing room when players weren't pulling their weight.

Sounds completely made up.

He definitely runs an underground fight club at Darsley Park.

There was never any doubt about him being fine to play I don't think.

Yeah, unless the date are dodgy the Sun reported that he'd broken his finger and would wear a cast for Southampton on Thursday night, but the story never really got out somehow until a day later when the fighting story leaked.

Nah, disagree with neesy.  Senior players have a significant role to play in maintaining standards.

This.

Shearer was respected but probably never went after his own players. Dyer/Bowyer happened on his watch..

Two best captains in the PL over last few decades have been Keane and Vieira, different styles off the pitch but both true leaders on it. Lascelles seems to be more of the Keane type in taking on people.

How many titles did Man Utd win off the back of those players being terrified of messing up?

Guest ManDoon

Nah, disagree with neesy.  Senior players have a significant role to play in maintaining standards.

This.

Shearer was respected but probably never went after his own players.

Gillespie?  Bellamy?

:lol: aye he sparked Gillespie out iirc