Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest Howaythetoon

Outrageous vision and technique for that host that hit the crossbar...

We saw the best and worst of him in the game and to be honest he showed why he will never be a top player at the highest level.

Average first half, good second half.

People are expecting a little too much from him with this "didn't dominate the game therefore was crap" nonsense. He was pretty much marked out of the game in the first half, but still spreading the play alright and the most likely to create anything in what was an absolutely dire team performance. He was also the only player to actually show a bit of class and ability on the ball in that 90 minutes shower of shiite.

The criticisms remind me of the double standards in play when Ben Arfa was here (or dare I say it, Wijnaldum) - for example, Ritchie by contrast was absolutely dire, constantly losing the ball with sloppy lay offs and touches or only playing it safe Colback/Duff style the rest of the time, yet there's barely a word said about his performance. Instead the guy who expertly tricked an opposing player to then hit the bar from 60 yards, scored a goal and was generally the only threat is the one getting stick.

I guess, deep down, people just expect more because they know a good player when they see one and so are disappointed if they don't dominate. The shit or limited ones get the free ride because they can't actually do any more beyond graft.

Thing is with Shelvey, his contribution is always going to be provided in isolated moments of brilliance. I want him in the team but it's absolutely vital we partner him with the right player next season because when we don't have the ball he's a weakness.

Thing is with Shelvey, his contribution is always going to be provided in isolated moments of brilliance. I want him in the team but it's absolutely vital we partner him with the right player next season because when we don't have the ball he's a weakness.

:thup:

Just him being in the team makes other players play more offensively I think, players like Gayle just know that at any given moment, a peach of a ball could be pinged in behind.

I think them knowing that those moments can happen, makes them play differently/better for the whole game.

Out of our entire first 11, I think losing Shelvey would have hurt us the most. With him in the team, it's allowed others to shine more than they could without him there...

Didn't even make the EFL team of the year, he's the best player in the division imo and been our player of the season for me, if Gayle could have stayed fit things may have been different.

Didn't even make the EFL team of the year, he's the best player in the division imo and been our player of the season for me, if Gayle could have stayed fit things may have been different.

Think Ritchie has been better overall imho.

Still have doubts over Shelvey in the premiership due to his fairly woeful contribution last time around.

Still have doubts over Shelvey in the premiership due to his fairly woeful contribution last time around.

Aye.

In terms of actual stats I'm sure he had a decent amount of assists actually from Jan till end of the season, but offered little in general play.

I thought in his first couple of games he was nothing short of sensational, then his head dropped and probably thought 'wtf have I done', and it took Rafa a long time to turn him back around. Needs more consistency but he's the sort of player that will look better with better players ahead of him. Stick an in-prime Pirlo in our team and he'd be about as effective as Shelvey has been imo.

Keeping his head will be a challenge he'll face again next season. Hopefully what he's learned from Rafa will see him direct his feelings in the right way. It was encouraging in the last match to see him trying to drive the team forward rather than just checking it.

When he arrived he was an expert whinger and pointer, glad we don't see much of that any more.

He's been poor since coming back from his ban, hardly surprising though, his whole career has been inconsistent which is why he is playing in the championship with us.

Cannot be trusted to have the team built round him for these reasons.

He's not been poor. People are far too Hypercritical on here of certain players. He's not been the best player on the park every week, but he's not been poor or a liability. To say he has is just knee jerk. He's been alright, whereas in the first half of the season he was untouchable. Poor is what the likes of Dummett, Colback and Gouffran have been.