Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

His ((And Ritchie's)) Corner's have been so good these last two home games. So dangerous.

Shelveys corners were wank tonight.

His set pieces have been awful recently considering his ability. He's been disappointing in the run in when it counted.

He's been poor since his first game back after his long suspension: the Birmingham FA Cup replay imo. He was head and shoulders above everyone else in that game, as he was in the winning run in October-November.

When he's good he's really good, but that isn't often enough and it's why he's been in the Championship with us this season.

Guest neesy111

He's been poor since his first game back after his long suspension: the Birmingham FA Cup replay imo. He was head and shoulders above everyone else in that game, as he was in the winning run in October-November.

When he's good he's really good, but that isn't often enough and it's why he's been in the Championship with us this season.

Agree with this.

Thought he was really good tonight tbh. Fair few passes that didn't come off, but he was a lot more like his game-controlling self of the first half of the season.

Yeah, their #8 marked him quite closely in the first half but he seemed to come into it more in the second.

I think he can do a decent job in the PL but I am concerned about him and Hayden as CM when neither of them are that experienced or proven. There are times when our defence looks quite exposed. Maybe a more balanced left side would help as well.

Thought he was really good tonight tbh. Fair few passes that didn't come off, but he was a lot more like his game-controlling self of the first half of the season.

Yeah, their #8 marked him quite closely in the first half but he seemed to come into it more in the second.

I think he can do a decent job in the PL but I am concerned about him and Hayden as CM when neither of them are that experienced or proven. There are times when our defence looks quite exposed. Maybe a more balanced left side would help as well.

I think if Rafa has the say in transfers we'll get one experienced holding midfielder in the summer and then play either Hayden or Shelvey alongside him depending on the opposition

As long as there's a massive upgrade in the number 10 position, I think Shelvey/Hayden could just-about get by in the Premier League if they were on their game every week. You'd feel a lot better knowing an outright CM was arriving though, not least because the depth is pretty woeful by PL standards.

It's not exactly a coincidence he hasn't really been involved in our attacking play since Gayle has been out like, as a partnership they were unstoppable.

There was one moment where Mitro uncharacteristically broke the offside trap and Shelvey found him straight away, Mitrovic wasn't quick enough and didn't have the confidence to lash it with his left. Gayle would have burried it.

As long as there's a massive upgrade in the number 10 position, I think Shelvey/Hayden could just-about get by in the Premier League if they were on their game every week. You'd feel a lot better knowing an outright CM was arriving though, not least because the depth is pretty woeful by PL standards.

I agree, there's been too much pressure on Shelvey with zero creativity at number 10. Can see Benitez going for someone like McCarthy at Everton too though

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone think he could be sold?

Can't see anyone coming in for him at the price we'd want, no. Unless West Ham...

I have a hunch Rafa might want a more traditional set up in the middle and perhaps he's not 100% convinced of Shelvey after he failed to turn up last time around in the Premiership.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Rafa culled him.

Guest firetotheworks

I think even if Rafa wanted to get rid, for whatever reason, he'll know that it's not a priority, so I very much doubt it. Colback, with someone else coming in to compete for Shelvey's place is probably much more likely.

I think even if Rafa wanted to get rid, for whatever reason, he'll know that it's not a priority, so I very much doubt it. Colback, with someone else coming in to compete for Shelvey's place is probably much more likely.

Agree with this. Shelvey's got his issues, but at the moment he's still our best midfielder along with Hayden. I can't see a replacement being a priority when there's other positions which are far more obviously in need of upgrading.

:thup:.

If he doesn't have to raise funds (or additional funds) then you'd think it'd be obvious to pump the ginge.

There's also some talk of him starting from the weakest link in terms of replacements so I guess Shelvey would be some way down the line if that's accurate.

I do think he kind of hinders the way we play though and think Rafa may see him as a limiting factor in our effectiveness.

It's not exactly a coincidence he hasn't really been involved in our attacking play since Gayle has been out like, as a partnership they were unstoppable.

There was one moment where Mitro uncharacteristically broke the offside trap and Shelvey found him straight away, Mitrovic wasn't quick enough and didn't have the confidence to lash it with his left. Gayle would have burried it.

8 assists in 80 goals

That's not telling the full story, he's often starting the moves that opens the play up that leads to goals, assisting the assiters if you will. I'm not sure why he's getting so much stick on here really, honestly people have short memories of how bad we were when he was suspended. Shelvey was critical to our promotion,  to many on here try to belittle his role for some strange reason.

8 assists in 80 goals

That's not telling the full story, he's often starting the moves that opens the play up that leads to goals, assisting the assiters if you will. I'm not sure why he's getting so much stick on here really, honestly people have short memories of how bad we were when he was suspended. Shelvey was critical to our promotion,  to many on here try to belittle his role for some strange reason.

100%. There were plenty of our goals this season that he didn't get an "assist" for that he was hugely instrumental in. Off the top of my head, Perez v Ipswich had a lot to do with his excellent long switch to Dummett and Perez v Barnsley had a lot to with his one-touch sweep out wide to Atsu(?).