Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Found nothing wrong in that article. He's an absolute joy to watch when on form. Hope he has a real breakthrough season this year where he's consistent and really putting in top performances for us.

Found nothing wrong in that article. He's an absolute joy to watch when on form. Hope he has a real breakthrough season this year where he's consistent and really putting in top performances for us.

Well said mate  O0 Speaking for all us (I hope!).

Pretty worrying that this guy is probably our best player.

No it's not, he's a very good player. This over the top criticism of him is boring as hell.

It's not a criticism, he is a good player. However if we have any aspirations of finishing higher than 16th/17th we need more players who are equally as good or better.

No one's right or wrong here, while he's one of our best players, how many Premier teams would want to buy him off us? It just highlights how bad our midfield has been for the last few years. At least it looks like Colback won't be starting games soon, while he's there you aren't going to get the best out of Shelvey. He's a ball player not a grafter, we need someone with an engine in there alongside him. Hayden was good in spells last season.

No one's right or wrong here, while he's one of our best players, how many Premier teams would want to buy him off us? It just highlights how bad our midfield has been for the last few years. At least it looks like Colback won't be starting games soon, while he's there you aren't going to get the best out of Shelvey. He's a ball player not a grafter, we need someone with an engine in there alongside him. Hayden was good in spells last season.

Given a season in the PL I've no doubt Shelvey will be in demand again. He could play for anyone.

Guest neesy111

Given a season in the PL I've no doubt Shelvey will be in demand again. He could play for anyone.

Really?  Shelvey wasn't exactly setting the championship alight the 2nd half of last season.  He still has a very lot to do to get even close to that.

Really?  Shelvey wasn't exactly setting the championship alight the 2nd half of last season.  He still has a very lot to do to get even close to that.

second half of the season was harder for shelvey as clubs were finally starting to mark him. he was still excellent but the performances were less hollywood. eg.the brighton away game he was fantastic but in a different way to the first half of the season.

He'll look a lot better in a team playing counter attacking football, i.e. us next season. A long-game quarterback with no runners won't look great in any team. Some of the passes/passes to assists he pulled off when he first signed in the first PL games he played where he was bothered were world class.

Will he look better in a counter attacking team?

I like Shelvey but I imagine a player like him needs space and he'll be pressed a lot more and given less space this year. When he was at his best for Swansea I'm sure they were more of a possession team than counter attack.  The two good games he had for us in the PL against West Ham and WBA definitely weren't us counter attacking,  they gave Shelvey the freedom of the pitch

Point I was making is that Shelvey would look better in a team that sits back and breaks, as his main attribute is his long range passing. Quite hard to pass it long range if you're already past the centre circle with the ball.

Well we'll see obviously, but there aren't many midfielders around with his passing ability.

Means absolutely nothing if he can't consistently get space to show it off.

Which has been his problem his entire career and I genuinely don't see it changing.

Well we'll see obviously, but there aren't many midfielders around with his passing ability.

Means absolutely nothing if he can't consistently get space to show it off.

Which has been his problem his entire career and I genuinely don't see it changing.

You see the Bradford highlights? I know the opposition is poor but he absolutely roasted 3 of their defenders for his dissalowed goal. I think it's possible he's improved a lot with the ball from when he was last in the Prem, mainly by just being fitter.