Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest ManDoon
1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I think there was such a desire to press as instructed that we then went steaming in to win the ball back a bit carelessly at times and the ball ran through for them to capitalise. Happened on both their first goal and their last one. 

Good to see the effort from the team, but just needed to be a bit more under control when going for the ball. Think we'll get better at that as they continue to work on the new approach.

Yeah, makes sense. He basically made the situation worse, Murphy was fine and Shelvey leaving his man, offered an out ball and obvs the shot that went in. Definitely nice to see him putting in some effort though. 

Disrespectful through the wording of whatever that muppet was trying to ask. Would have loved to see roll extended there and Shelvey properly put him in his place.

Don't know the lad, but strikes me as type of character that sort of would worry about shit said on social media, and probably has/does affect him. Whatever interview I've ever seen him do is when he's at start of his next 'redemption cycle', out to prove critics wrong etc. Does seem a pretty reserved, decent enough lad though - remember somewhere reading years and years ago that the shit he got from his alopecia when he was younger was tough for him. 

End of the day, there must be some reason why he's never responded to the carrot or stick when he's been given both by every manager he's ever played under since leaving Chalton at 17.

Edited by Abra Dubravka

That possibly makes our club media puppet the football journalist with most integrity in the world. Imagine asking a question that all fans wants to ask him, and answering truthfully when Jonjo asks him why.

That's both absolutely the right thing to ask Shelvey and totally not the right thing to ask him, at the same time.

Fuck Shelveys feelings TBH, a couple of weeks ago he trotted onto the pitch and got himself sent off because the match wasn't going our way. Fuck him.

He's got one of the worst mentalities I can recall seeing in a professional footballer.

He has a proper defeatist attitude (see his comments within days of the takeover happening "well I guess I won't be here" or something to that effect), cannot take any criticism and cannot maintain his temper when he's singled out, be it by fans, opposition players or in fact anyone. You could see him mouthing back to a fan (or possibly some staff on the sidelines) even in our last game and I'm sure at one point he snapped towards one of our players (possibly ASM).

He's absolutely not the kind of personality you want in a squad. We do, unfortunately, need him now though.

Not saying Shelvey has always given 100% or even 70% this season or even the last one but honestly who wouldn't be fed up playing so defensive and lacking fitness or tactical training, also playing in a team that's so lacking in confidence and a crowd and fanbase that's has been so fed up, any player that isn't really a defensive type of player would have struggled and been disheartened every game. If your game is mostly about spraying balls about and not having nobody in space or having any room to do it then he isn't going to thrive, not even sure what he was asked to do during Bruce Ball. Definitely should be given another chance this season as with others in same position and prove there worth playing for the badge.

What boils my piss with Jonjo is that he shared a dressing room with likes of Gerrard, Carragher, even fucking Craig Bellamy - and seemingly learn't fuck all. Likely down to his personality. I don't think he's lazy by mindset - if he was he, you simply can't be lazy in application to sustain a PL career even under Bruce.

Not everyone can be James Milner, hungry for the power - I can accept why I would take exception to him being lazy. 

Aye, I've never believed for once he's not trying his best - but I'm sure if we hoyed a 39 year old Xabi Alonso in our midfield, he'd be able to ping balls around too.

JS has a 'shithouse aggression' in him, but it's never throughout his career been channelled correctly. Each season he just continuity fucks himself, and the team.

Whatever is said about Wor Jonjo, I'll still stand by the fact he's one of the best players to ever grace the second tier of English football. That 16/17 he was the Zidane of the Championship - Tarrabt QPR, Merson Portsmouth, Shelvey Newcastle

Edited by Abra Dubravka

He’s basically not a very good footballer, for all the praise of his passing, yes he does have good technique, but I could hit a 70-yard ball to feet or space under zero pressure or with space and time, it’s not a skill, it’s a technique.

He is lazy, he has a poor attitude to training, to self improvement and fitness, to his own game, to his team-mates and to in game demands. He is very lucky to still be playing at a high level for NUFC in the top-flight, there are harder working, more committed and overall more talented players in the Championship and all over lesser leagues in Europe.

He’s a luxury player basically, but a very poor one; mutton dressed as lamb! I’d be happy to never seem him wear our shirt again along with the majority of them, that will happen in due course.

In the mean-time if Howe can get some kind of tune out of him, good, any asset no matter how invaluable long-term, is valuable at the moment for our cause and needs. He played really well last weekend, really well. hopefully he can maintain that until we are safe and then be shot of!

Edited by HTT II

Personally I think he's a good footballer and a poor athlete, with a bad attitude to boot.

As much as I dislike him, IMO to say he can only ping a ball is a bit of a disservice to him.

He's pretty good at most of the technical elements of the game; his close control under pressure is pretty decent and is often able to manoeuvre himself well enough to retain the ball. He can certainly see a pass under pressure and make it, be it short or long - which is more of a skill IMO than just being able to "ping it".

He deserves the criticism buy unfortunately if we are going to survive this season I think we are desperately going to need him, we don't have any other midfielders that can control the tempo, start of attacks from the centre or ping balls about. Can't see us actually singing that many players in January as who wants to come into a team bottom or nearly at that stage of season.

Every PL midfielder who played against Bruceball this season had all the time in the world to hit 70 yard wonderpasses to feet. Or even 30 yard ones, given the height of the Bruceball press. Anything down the sides only had to clear Matt Ritchie's heed.

Guest ManDoon

I don’t even think he’s a good footballer anymore. He’s always been a terrible athlete. Was he ever that good? He’s a highlights player. Looks great on MOTD. He’s Odell Beckham, essentially 

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

Personally I think he's a good footballer and a poor athlete, with a bad attitude to boot.

As much as I dislike him, IMO to say he can only ping a ball is a bit of a disservice to him.

He's pretty good at most of the technical elements of the game; his close control under pressure is pretty decent and is often able to manoeuvre himself well enough to retain the ball. He can certainly see a pass under pressure and make it, be it short or long - which is more of a skill IMO than just being able to "ping it".

Agree. He's good with the ball, apart from the passing range, he's also pretty good at keeping possession under pressure. His real problem is just his lack of athleticism and stamina. He plays the game at walking pace like he's back in the 1980's.