Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Rafa is getting the best out of him and whilst I don't particularly like the fella he is undoubtedly the most effective player in the league

When was the last time he had a run of games where he played well in  ?

Must be well before he got himself banned.

Guest Howaythetoon

If I were an opponent I'd look at Shelvey and think to myself, I can boss him out of the game no problem. He lacks real physical strength, genuine pace and genuine mobility. He's a luxury player in the sense that Juan Román Riquelme was (although a class below obviously). For such a player you need at least one real powerhouse next to him and you need pace up front and out wide to stretch the opposition so space opens up in the middle of the park where a fantastic passer with the vision Shelvey has can work his magic. At home to the likes of Hull next season if we were to go up and they were to stay up he'll be fine. Away to say West Ham though and its a different ball-game.

If I were an opponent I'd look at Shelvey and think to myself, I can boss him out of the game no problem. He lacks real physical strength, genuine pace and genuine mobility. He's a luxury player in the sense that Juan Román Riquelme was (although a class below obviously). For such a player you need at least one real powerhouse next to him and you need pace up front and out wide to stretch the opposition so space opens up in the middle of the park where a fantastic passer with the vision Shelvey has can work his magic. At home to the likes of Hull next season if we were to go up and they were to stay up he'll be fine. Away to say West Ham though and its a different ball-game.

Yeah - this season hasn't done anything to make me think we can build a PL midfield (and attack) around him, which is what you would need to do to get the best out of him.  And even if you do that, I don't think he's good enough to make 'that' much difference.

Guest firetotheworks

It's honestly like you're talking about a different player whenever you talk about Shelvey. I just don't see what you seem to see as his deficiencies at all, I've never seen anything to back up what you're saying in this league or the PL. When he can be arsed, he's been one of the better midfielders in the Premier League, that happened. And it's the him being able to be arsed that's the weakness in his game for me. 3 v 2 in midfield would be a problem for most midfields that are the 2, but put him 3 v 3, 2 v 2, or 3 v 2 with him in the 3 and him being out-muscled etc wouldn't be something I'd particularly worry about tbh.

Shelvey's been one of the successes for me, and I wasn't a fan at the start of the season. His main weakness is defensively, he's a poor tackler and runs out of gas in the second half. But fitness wise he's much better this season, and on the ball he's one of the few players who rarely loses possession, and that's gold in this team at the moment. Especially when you consider he doesn't opt for the easy passes either.

Yeah - this season hasn't done anything to make me think we can build a PL midfield (and attack) around him, which is what you would need to do to get the best out of him.  And even if you do that, I don't think he's good enough to make 'that' much difference.

Same. Thoroughly unconvinced by him. In this division he's often the best midfielder on the park - he just has to play. In the PL he won't be regularly, can he still play a part and contribute on the back foot? Consistently? I don't know. Hope so.

Guest Howaythetoon

It's honestly like you're talking about a different player whenever you talk about Shelvey. I just don't see what you seem to see as his deficiencies at all, I've never seen anything to back up what you're saying in this league or the PL. When he can be arsed, he's been one of the better midfielders in the Premier League, that happened. And it's the him being able to be arsed that's the weakness in his game for me. 3 v 2 in midfield would be a problem for most midfields that are the 2, but put him 3 v 3, 2 v 2, or 3 v 2 with him in the 3 and him being out-muscled etc wouldn't be something I'd particularly worry about tbh.

One of the better players in the Premier League? Seriously?

He's bang average at that level with fleeting glimpses of his ability and this is what we have seen here at Newcastle since he signed.

He's played very well this season at times, but given his ability he has kind of disappointed in general and in many games he goes missing or is too easily marked out of the game to the point where it seriously effects us.

It has nothing to do with being arsed either, he just doesn't have that natural athleticism and stamina nor the mentality needed to go with such assets to dominate a game, to grab it by the scruff of the neck and to impose himself. Space and time and he will play lovely passes and generally look very good on the ball.

Cut that off though and he's just an empty shirt floating around with his arms outstretched and his gormless head looking left and right wondering just how he can get into the game. You can't Jon Jo because you don't have it in you and never will.

We need to seriously upgrade on him in the summer if we are to do more than plod on. That goes for a few others too, btw.

He's bang average at that level with fleeting glimpses of his ability and this is what we have seen here at Newcastle since he signed.

He's played very well this season at times, but given his ability he has kind of disappointed in general and in many games he goes missing or is too easily marked out of the game to the point where it seriously effects us.

It has nothing to do with being arsed either, he just doesn't have that natural athleticism and stamina nor the mentality needed to go with such assets to dominate a game, to grab it by the scruff of the neck and to impose himself. Space and time and he will play lovely passes and generally look very good on the ball.

Cut that off though and he's just an empty shirt floating around with his arms outstretched and his gormless head looking left and right wondering just how he can get into the game. You can't Jon Jo because you don't have it in you and never will.

We need to seriously upgrade on him in the summer if we are to do more than plod on. That goes for a few others too, btw.

Kind of agree on the whole but the bolded bit is harsh IMO. He was absolutely bossing it near enough every game before his ban.

Have to agree with all of this.

Guest Howaythetoon

Oh and I actually wanted us to sign him and he's my kind of player on the ball, lovely passing, great vision and aesthetically when he gets on the ball and struts his stuff he is a joy to watch. He's just seriously limited. In La Liga or Italy he would be immense you feel. In the Premier League, he's average. Even top-class players like Ozil and Fabregas, similar luxury type players, struggle to get into the game and assert their obvious talents and abilities.

Guest Howaythetoon

Kind of agree on the whole but the bolded bit is harsh IMO. He was absolutely bossing it near enough every game before his ban.

I agree, after a slow start. He is quite easy to mark out of the game, however.

He was superb at home to Birmingham a game I went to, and I was shocked they allowed him all that time and freedom, absolutely shocked because a school kid could tell you how to nullify his game and render our own somewhat impotent....

I agree, after a slow start. He is quite easy to mark out of the game.

He was superb at home to Birmingham a game I went to, and I was shocked they allowed him all that time and freedom, absolutely shocked because a school kid could tell you how to nullify his game and render our own somewhat impotent....

Again, I don't necessarily disagree but his strong performances against Brighton, Huddersfield and Leeds - all away and against sides canny enough to know how to set up against him - suggest that you're not giving him enough credit IMO.

I agree, after a slow start. He is quite easy to mark out of the game, however.

It's a lot easier to nullify him when there's no one else in midfield doing anything. He's certainly lacking as far as stamina and athleticism, but then what does that say about the others around him, since he still seems to pop up a lot more than his midfield partners.

Guest firetotheworks

Midfielders, not players.

He was very good at Swansea until he decided he couldn't be arsed, which is his main problem imo.

Honestly don't know how you can say this like. :lol: Aside from his stupid rash moments, he's been the focal point of everything that we've done going forward. That stuff about going missing or being marked out of the game is just simply not true like. When he has a quiet game, it's usually because the entire team has had a quiet game.

Disagree.

Total bollocks.

He's the last player that I'd replace considering the other plodders we have. I've said it a canny few times, but I'd probably only definitely keep him, Ritchie, and Gayle. None of them guaranteeing to start, but show me a better, realistic midfielder to sign that ticks all of the boxes that you want ticked and I'll show you a transfer budget spent entirely on one player.

Guest firetotheworks

I think you're overestimating the quality in the Premier League, it's the other midfielder it's essential we replace.

I think you're overestimating the quality in the Premier League, it's the other midfielder it's essential we replace.

There's a good 6-7 players I'd rather see upgraded before Shelvey including the other options in CM before him as you say and the bottom 5-6 teams in the premier league are in my opinion on a similar level to the top 3-4 in the championship, but I still think if we don't upgrade on him we'll struggle again, as we are this season to an extent in the midfield area, we're top and we're well on course but our midfield is regularly played off the park and over ran, that would only get worse in the top division.

• 3 weeks later...