Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

First half of the season - incidentally the period we dominated - Shelvey was the heart of our team. During our winning streak everything went through him, bringing it out of defense and transitioning to the attacking phase was all his responsibility. He got the best out of Gayle and has been the essential cog for Rafa's system, particularly with us lacking in a decent #10.

He should also be congratulated for transforming his fitness. It's clear to see he's a different player physically than 12 months ago, particularly in the last few minutes when he's chasing lost causes. Never would've seen it before this season.

He's got my vote. Honorable mentions to Ritchie and Gayle.

Shelvey needs to finish the season very strongly to be in the top 3 for me.

Would say as of now for me personally its:

1. Gayle

2. Clark

3. Ritchie

4. Shelvey

5. Darlow

I'd not argue too much with that. I think Murphy's cameo performances have been notable. Funny business in a team game this.

1. Gayle

2. Clark

3. Ritchie

4. Shelvey

5. Darlow

I'd not argue too much with that. I think Murphy's cameo performances have been notable. Funny business in a team game this.

Yeah I was going to mention Murphy. Shows that it's been a strange season if Darlow is our 5th best player when he's had some pretty poor games. Think Dummett (defensively) has had a better season than Darlow

Darlow at 5. Wow. From the core starters he's been a weak link along with whoever is at AM. And yes Dummett has been better.

I'd at least have Hayden and Gouffran in before Darlow. Maybe Yedlin too. Darlow has been average in what has been a relatively easy season for a GK.

1. Gayle

2. Clark

3. Ritchie

4. Shelvey

5. Darlow

Yeah I was going to mention Murphy. Shows that it's been a strange season if Darlow is our 5th best player when he's had some pretty poor games. Think Dummett (defensively) has had a better season than Darlow

What it really says is that only a handful of players have had outstanding seasons. Dummett and Darlow have been handicaps as much as assets. Gayle, Shelvey and Ritchie have stood out. The rest have just filled in the blanks for the most part.

Think Shelvey deserves more praise. Ok in the 2nd half of the season he hasn't been as good as he was in the 1st, but you can clearly see he's having an effect on the others. I see players pulling off passes that he pulls off that they have never been able to do so before, so he's clearly working with others on the training ground.

Think Shelvey deserves more praise. Ok in the 2nd half of the season he hasn't been as good as he was in the 1st, but you can clearly see he's having an effect on the others. I see players pulling off passes that he pulls off that they have never been able to do so before, so he's clearly working with others on the training ground.

16Jvx.gif

Darlow at 5. Wow. From the core starters he's been a weak link along with whoever is at AM. And yes Dummett has been better.

I'd at least have Hayden and Gouffran in before Darlow. Maybe Yedlin too. Darlow has been average in what has been a relatively easy season for a GK.

Gouffran :lol: :lol:

Given what he said about Tiote being perfect for us a few months back, I think the time for taking BrickTop seriously has come and gone.

But yeah, Gouffran's been mostly shit. Fortunately he'll be off to Ligue 2 soon.

Darlow has made far too many ricks but when you consider the only (fit) alternative, it's been a fucking Godsend that we've had Darlow.

I'd rate 'most significant contribution' in this sort of order:

1. Probably Gayle

2. Ritchie*

3. Clark*

4. Shelvey* [*these three are barely separable imo]

5. Dummett

6. Perez

Guest neesy111

16Jvx.gif

Perfect gif usage.

The only one coming out of the game tonight with any credit imho.

Not influencial enough first half for me. Good second half.

Four shots on target. Most of our play going through him. One crazy effort full of quality and then a goal. I'll take that tbqh.

just getting back to newcastle from the game. furious at shelvey - real wasted that free kick in injury time. i know they had a decent wall but the keeper had left most of his goal unguarded and it just needed a curler into the corner rather than just being blasted straight at the side the keeper was standing.