Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Last season he was one of the best midfielders in the division (only Cairney arguably was better). This season he just needs to be a top half midfielder, which he comfortably is IMO.

He's a good player and that's what we need, good players.

We need to bring the rest of the squad up to his and Richie's standard.

i also have my doubts about his consistent effectiveness in the PL if i'm honest; nobody is daft enough to give him the time and space on the ball he needs - i said ages ago rafa should have him working heavily on moving the ball with one touch or at least much faster in pressure situations

if he improved that aspect of his game and rafa sorts the formation to release him to wander a little he could improve but unless these very specific circumstances occur i don't think he's going to be that good for us

Personally I think some of the criticism of him last season was way OTT. He was often the only player trying anything other than a safe pass, with that comes an increased likelihood in losing the ball. One huge positive is that he probably isn't going to get man marked, at least at the start anyway.

He's looked pretty sharp in pre-season so far... obviously he has a big challenge this season but it looks like he's prepared for it as well as could be expected.

physically sharp is cool but i feel he needs to be mentally sharp with it, a player like him needs more range to his game to be able to make a very quick pass without thinking at times/when necessary...he always wants a touch, turn and a little think before he picks his pass

if he can add some variety to that side of his game then he won't be as predictable for the other team either

i also have my doubts about his consistent effectiveness in the PL if i'm honest; nobody is daft enough to give him the time and space on the ball he needs - i said ages ago rafa should have him working heavily on moving the ball with one touch or at least much faster in pressure situations

if he improved that aspect of his game and rafa sorts the formation to release him to wander a little he could improve but unless these very specific circumstances occur i don't think he's going to be that good for us

people honestly think rafa needs advice from the likes of us?

Sadly, I'm with Mole on this one.

Shelvey is VERY VERY good at one or two particular things, but he went missing in a lot of games last year, and I can only see it being a lot harder for him this year.

Last season he was one of the best midfielders in the division (only Cairney arguably was better). This season he just needs to be a top half midfielder, which he comfortably is IMO.

Disagree with both of those points. A, he wasn't even our best midfielder last year (Richie), and B, if he was comfortably a top half midfielder he wouldn't have been playing for bottom half / Championship teams for the last 4 years.

All that being said, I do like him when he's on form... I just think he's going to find it really hard this year.

Sorry didn t realise I had to specify centre midfielder.

He was our player, that's why he was playing in the championship. That's kind of the way it works.  :lol:

In the same way Coloccini, Enrique and Nolan (for a time) were top half premiership players last time around.

Shelvey is a good player, but he does have his draw backs. He needs space, for a start, which he will get less of in the premiership.

ah guess not, lets shut down the fucking forum then

ah guess not, lets shut down the f***ing forum then

just the way you phrased it, man. and no need to get angry.

Well we'll see obviously, but there aren't many midfielders around with his passing ability.

No one has ever raised any doubts about that, but the top sides won't carry a midfielder who won't be able to do the less glamorous work which makes up 80% of the game. He's put a lot of work in tbf, but he's just not that good at it.

ah guess not, lets shut down the f***ing forum then

just the way you phrased it, man. and no need to get angry.

:lol: shaking with rage....just my opinion obvs, think he needs to start moving the ball faster with more variety to be a better midfielder and give the side more but obviously if rafa wants him to keep holding onto it to pick his passes then i bow to greatness

maybe his holding the ball became a feature due to how deep he's been playing and lack of options ahead, perhaps playing merino/hayden and him might change that dynamic (hope so)

Well we'll see obviously, but there aren't many midfielders around with his passing ability.

No one has ever raised any doubts about that, but the top sides won't carry a midfielder who won't be able to do the less glamorous work which makes up 80% of the game. He's put a lot of work in tbf, but he's just not that good at it.

There's some truth to that, but then again not every top midfielder is some sort of football machine who can do everything. Would Arsenal look better with Shelvey instead of Xhaka? Or if Spurs swapped him in for Dier?

See how he gets on this season, hopefully he has really worked on his mobility and his acceleration.

There's no real point in talking about it until the season starts. Shelvey may be fit but we won't know about the mental side of things which is even more important until we play a few games

No one's right or wrong here, while he's one of our best players, how many Premier teams would want to buy him off us? It just highlights how bad our midfield has been for the last few years. At least it looks like Colback won't be starting games soon, while he's there you aren't going to get the best out of Shelvey. He's a ball player not a grafter, we need someone with an engine in there alongside him. Hayden was good in spells last season.

Given a season in the PL I've no doubt Shelvey will be in demand again. He could play for anyone.

You're a lunatic. Shelvey can pass a football exceptionally - that is it. Nothing else about his game is top level.

I never really cared much for Shelvey before we signed him. In fact I used to take the piss out of him fairly regularly and laughed my sack off when Ferguson had him seething.

However having seen a fair bit of him up close I have to say I'm convinced he's actually quality. He's not the fittest, he's mental and he goes missing a lot but as a footballer he is pretty special. His range of passing is top notch but what I like most about him is that he's always trying to go forward. This results in hollywood balls now and again but unlike Gerrard for instance most of the stuff he attempts comes off when he's not trying to play the final ball.

This is a big season for him and it seems as though he's aware of it. If he starts like he did last year by christmas he'll be in England contention. However there's always the if with him. Should he ever decide to do something with himself now is the time.

I seem to remember him as a player I irrationally disliked; mainly, I think cos I thought he was a Scouser and I was all over hating Liverpool around that time. :lol:

But last season new applied himself really well and he could've controlled some of those games wearing slippers. I see him a bit as of those 'our' twats, in a similar way to Bellamy for instance.

I think he'll be good next season. He's got a lot to prove and I think he's found a place here at Rafa's NUFC. He'll be touted for England again and there'll be one of those Football Focus features about him and his good November form, I'd wager.

When he's confident and swaggering around the pitch playing really good passes hes really a joy to watch. I think he's capable of doing much more so have high hopes for him that he'll continue to improve under Rafa's management.

I'm impressed with his determination to improve his fitness over the summer.  It was pretty obvious that he ran out of steam a little bit in the 2nd half of last season and he's realised that this season is gona be even tougher for him if he doesn't address the issue.  He said wants to go to the World Cup so he wants to give himself the best chance possible.  Fair play to him, i hope he's rewarded for it. 

If Rafa plays him as one of the two defensive midfielders in the normal 4-2-3-1 I think his lack of physicality, mobility and pace will hurt both him and the team, if he's prepared to play him pretty much any where else he should have a good season.

Maybe Hayden and Merino sitting a bit deeper taking turns to make runs forward with Shelvey in a traditional CM role picking passes.  Both Hayden and Merino seem to have the athleticism needed for that role and it frees up Shelvey from some defensive responsibilities.

Tbf I'm sure I've read articles about him improving his fitness in each of the last three summers

Me too. He's just not athletic or is doing something wrong in the season. Not sure i've seen a player in his mid 20's suffer so badly with athletic fitness - perhaps Guthrie.

2 years ago I know he got a Chef.

Last year - working harder than ever apparently.

This year - again.