Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest ManDoon
10 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

White is a better player than Young from what I've seen. Neither are nowhere near Anderson 

For a DM role? Would have Young there all day personally. Agree about Anderson but who does he come in for, Willock? He’s not good enough to justify that. We need a mobile DM, badly. 

Edited by ManDoon

Potentially very unpopular opinion but I think our midfield is better when Shelvey is in it. Shelvey can actually pass the ball relatively well forwards. He's still a twat and fucking liability, plus it's probably more an indictment on how bad our midfield options are but aye. Much rather he started than Longstaff, but if we played a 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1 or any real midfield which requires 2 central midfielders my choices are Hayden and Willock. When Willock isn't available or fit, I'd go for baldy.

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Potentially very unpopular opinion but I think our midfield is better when Shelvey is in it. Shelvey can actually pass the ball relatively well forwards. He's still a twat and fucking liability, plus it's probably more an indictment on how bad our midfield options are but aye. Much rather he started than Longstaff, but if we played a 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1 or any real midfield which requires 2 central midfielders my choices are Hayden and Willock. When Willock isn't available or fit, I'd go for baldy.

That all depends on the opponents and type of game imo. If it opens up and there is space and time Shelvey can be an asset. If we have enough of an offensive threat that can make the opposition defend maybe we can open up some of that space. Brighton tired badly in the second half, which is where Shelvey started to remember what he was capable of. If he does nothing the rest of the game and mince around creating more work and space for those around him to have to cover then he isn't worth it. The likes of Longstaff, Almiron and Hayden haven't had a chance because they are covering some much ground for Jonjo. 

He can up his game though. There was a great period under Rafa where it looked like he could start back on the journey to fulfilling his potential. Workrate was high, lots of tackling and dangerous in possession. It just never lasted though. I expect something similar, so wouldn't be surprised if he gets time on the pitch under Howe. At least until January, if not the summer. 

• 2 weeks later...

He’s got a long way to go but games like today show why he’s still a premier league footballer. In the right system, with enough time and space, he offers something most other teams don’t have. Just doesn’t have the legs to take it up a level or the brain for consistency. 

29 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Can’t believe I saw him running back, at pace, to defend after we lost the ball. ‘kin hell.

As we know with Jonjo though, he’ll have one of these games and another four where he can’t be arsed.

Him & Joe were my MotM and they were also our best defenders.