General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest neesy111

http://www.nufc.com/html/1996-97html/1996-97.html

Mad that we weren't in the top 2 from the end of November until the last game that season!

Would had won the league imo if KK hadn't quit.

Not a chance. Dalglish did well that season points wise. For us to accumulate a further 7 we'd have had to be ridiculously good. Better than we ever were, to be honest. It took very good results at OT and Highbury to sneak 2nd.

It was only that late run that got us to 2nd with some very good results mind seem to remember it was when he started playing Asprilla behind Shearer and Ferdinand that our results vastly improved, our results were very hit and miss until late March under him.  I think we would had got more under Keegan as things had started to click for us.

Guest neesy111

Elliott in for Ginola was surprisingly the difference maker.

That run of goals he went on was ridiculous.  Ended up more than Mackems top goalscorer that season.

I think the real thing that killed us in 96/97 was the injuries to Shearer and Ferdinand in November and December.  Shrearer's goal record that season was excellent considering the number of games he missed.

Guest firetotheworks

The football was often awful under Dalglish even that season like, or at least that's how I remember it, it was probably incredible compared to now. I know that second 4-3 is often shoehorned in with the other one, but we were as bad as I'd ever seen us in that match.

The football was often awful under Dalglish even that season like, or at least that's how I remember it, it was probably incredible compared to now. I know that second 4-3 is often shoehorned in with the other one, but we were as bad as I'd ever seen us in that match.

Yep was terrible game. Was pissed but seem to remember some lad running on the pitch to throw his season ticket at the dugout.

Steady on, like. We were poor but it was nothing compared to losing 0-6 at home to them 4 years ago and the plethora of other pathetic beyond words displays during Pardew's tenure.

Is there a worse game than that? Bit young to have experienced the late 80s and very early 90s but that is as bad as I've ever seen. Even the 0-3s off the mackems can't come close to what a storm of shite that sorry excuse of a performance was.

Steady on, like. We were poor but it was nothing compared to losing 0-6 at home to them 4 years ago and the plethora of other pathetic beyond words displays during Pardew's tenure.

Was more in comparison with the performances under Keegan really.

Guest firetotheworks

I walked out of the 0-6 like, it wasn't even a football match. Liverpool we're just casually passing it into the net.

Elliott in for Ginola was surprisingly the difference maker.

That run of goals he went on was ridiculous.  Ended up more than Mackems top goalscorer that season.

I think the real thing that killed us in 96/97 was the injuries to Shearer and Ferdinand in November and December.  Shrearer's goal record that season was excellent considering the number of games he missed.

Was watching some VHS back of clips from that season the other night. The fact we played our best 11 in the UEFA Cup every warmed my heart.

Keegan was questioning the desire of the squad after a couple of the early defeats, could tell it really rankled with him. Particularly the loss at Halmstads, even though it was irrelevant

That Liverpool game was awful, embarrassing and they could have had more.

But you know, some of the shite served up and hammerings we've had from absolute nothing clubs pissed me off more. Getting done 5-1 by Crystal fucking Palace etc.

Guest firetotheworks

If you have the entertainers video, watch the bit where Keegan talks about consolidation. It's probably my favourite interview with him and completely sums him up. Everyone around him talking about staying in the league after just being promoted and he's like nah, we'll try and win the league. [emoji38]

The 1-5 would have been 1-9 if Elliot or Darlow were in nets instead of Shay.

The 0-6 was fucking hideous, but I would say the worst NUFC performance I've ever witnessed was the Stevenage game under Pards.

No idea where this should go, so whatever

from the horrific chronicle websitee

Rafa Benitez has revealed his plan for Newcastle United’s goalkeeping brigade this summer.

As it stands, Benitez - who has been linked with a move for Udinese’s Greek goalkeeper Orestis Karnezis - intends to hold on to Rob Elliot and retain the services of Freddie Woodman.

He could still sell Karl Darlow but Benitez has admitted that Tim Krul no longer has a future on Tyneside.

In a summer that has already seen Newcastle linked with Pepe Reina, Willy Caballero and Joe Hart, before his switch to West Ham, Benitez told the Chronicle: “I explained to them from day one I want somebody with more experience in the Premier League.

“What I have seen from them I decided Rob Elliot is a good option with experience, Karl Darlow knows my idea and he knows we had an offer and considered it.

“But we needed a keeper with experience and he could still compete with Rob.

“After that we have young Freddie Woodman who has been doing well.

“We know that it will be difficult to keep him without playing him in the first team because he could be number 3.

“He could play in the Under-23s and then later he could go on loan if necessary he could do that.

“Still we have to wait to see what happens.”

However, the future is not looking so good for Krul at United and having been told to train at the club’s Academy, the Dutchman is looking for a new club.

Benitez said: “I told Tim Krul he has to look for another option.

“I told him that before and I have told him one month ago along with his agent.

“He knew what that situation was and has to understand that to find another solution.”

Darlow was left out of the Newcastle squad for Tuesday night’s game against Bradford City with Elliot and Woodman sharing duties between the posts in the 4-0 win at Valley Parade.

Darlow’s omission coincided with talk of a swap deal for West Ham’s Adrian.

Benitez said: “We needed to take two keepers. In the last game we took three keepers and they got some time.

“We decided to take just two to Bradford and he was fine. At the moment we don’t have anything or at least anything we want so we have to wait.

“The three keepers know they have to keep fighting. And Tim knows my idea.”

Benitez could take a look at Darlow again today in the friendly against Mainz 05 while Woodman may get another chance to shine at the Opel Arena.

Ruthless. Love it.

Players no longer dictate and he just ruthlessly changes it when required. Been needed for a long time and all the players know they have to step it up to stay at the club, no free rides anymore

That Liverpool game is the only time I've ever left early. Can't remember if it was 0-3 or 0-4 at the time.

Suarez was suspended as well. The f***ing s*** Pardew got away with, man.

Same for me, only game I've ever left early

If you have the entertainers video, watch the bit where Keegan talks about consolidation. It's probably my favourite interview with him and completely sums him up. Everyone around him talking about staying in the league after just being promoted and he's like nah, we'll try and win the league. [emoji38]

I love this!