Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

overjoyed and elated at this news - Rafa is the real deal not a patsy or bullshitter - it feels nice to be optimistic once again (fickle I know). As people have said it is late in the day but wow - if these players can't motivate themselves for this guy they never will.

Absolutely love that he had them in training today. That's a proper manager.

That was possibly my highlight from today, a day of many highlights.  It was like him quietly walking into a meeting, saying nothing and just hammering his fist into the table.  He's told them straight away that he's here and he means business.

My mood has completely changed like, hope it lasts. Doesn't feel like we have to grateful for shit anymore either, the likes of nob ends like Sissoko coming out in the press talking about us like we're fucking Brighton or something.

Like we're back to being an actual club players should be roud to play for again. It's going to fucking kill me when we go down.

overjoyed and elated at this news - Rafa is the real deal not a patsy or bullshitter - it feels nice to be optimistic once again (fickle I know). As people have said it is late in the day but wow - if these players can't motivate themselves for this guy they never will.

Nothing fickle about it we've gone from washed up dross to a proper manager with coaches who have pedigree.

My mood has conpletely changed like, hope it ladts. Diesn't feel like we have to grateful for shit anymore either, the likes of nob ends like Sissoko coming out in the press talking about us like we're fucking Brighton or something.

Like we're back to being an actual club players should be roud to play for again. It's going to fucking kill me when we go down.

Important moment for people like moussa, the club have finally matched his ambition let's see how he plays/behaves now.

Guest Howaythetoon

Interesting that Rafa barely trusted Gerrard in the true CM role and that's because he lacked the ability to keep it simple, give and go, pass and move etc. like Alonso which was the staple of Rafa's philosophy at the time, ball retention and possession. I once called Rafa's football nothing football because a lot of it was sideways passing football without venturing forward, but it was basically me being ignorant of the trends outside of the PL. He almost made it work here. I can see Anita becoming a key player for us and maybe Shelvey pushed further forward or wider as a narrow midfield. I'm sure Rafa liked his full-backs to push up at LFC. Mind, I don't know how he has progressed since his LFC days as I've not taken any interest in European footy clearly /Ronaldo

:smug:

Absolutely love that he had them in training today. That's a proper manager.

That was possibly my highlight from today, a day of many highlights.  It was like him quietly walking into a meeting, saying nothing and just hammering his fist into the table.  He's told them straight away that he's here and he means business.

This - exactly this  :smug:

Wullie, midds et al, does this make you want to get back behind the team?

It does. I thought investing the money in the summer was a step in the right direction, another was making some signings in January and this appointment is another sign of intent. However, I don't think we'll fare well until we get another CM, commanding defender and a left-back of quality. (Yes I think Mitro can be the guy for us).

Guest Howaythetoon

His appointment makes me now give a fuck. I now want us to win and to stay up and for the team and club to succeed. Although I won't be attending games until Ashley goes. And talking of that cunt, if relegation meant him leaving I'd take that any day of the week. I'd take relegation to the Conference if it mean he sold up. MA will never be the right man to own this club, Rafa appointment or not.

Rafa moved Gerrard from cental midfield to behind the striker due to Gerrard not being great tactically and leaving too many gaps there.

We may very well see the same with Shelvey who actually played a more forward attacking midfield role coming up at Charlton. Think it would improve our midfield solidarity.

Someone start a Rafa tactics thread ...

Perhaps longer term Shelvey will be pushed forward but I think that is quite difficult to pull of this season where we have too many attacking midfielders and no one that can play well in central midfield other than Shelvey.

Having said that though, if he were to make a good box to box central midfielder out of Wij or Moussa that would be amazing.

He tends to be play with two pivots, i'd be surprised to see any box to box players although our squad isn't suited to his system at all.

Saivet and Sissoko as the pivots for me. Sissoko has experience in that role from his Toulousse days and we need to utilise his strength and pace in midfield. He can then get forward in counterattacking scenarios.

From what I've seen I like Saivet's positioning and discipline in that role, and he is another good athlete. Both French so hopefully can develop some chemistry too.

Gini and Perez can then play in the wide attacking midfield positions and tuck in a bit, with Shelvey in a number 10 spot. Mitrovic upfront.

I think that would be an interesting approach.

Guest The Little Waster

His appointment makes me now give a f***. I now want us to win and to stay up and for the team and club to succeed. Although I won't be attending games until Ashley goes. And talking of that c***, if relegation meant him leaving I'd take that any day of the week. I'd take relegation to the Conference if it mean he sold up. MA will never be the right man to own this club, Rafa appointment or not.

This ...

Ultimately the only thing that can rescue our horrendous defence is getting that midfield two right, and playing two players in there that can really support our defence and close things up for opposing teams. We cannot afford to have Shelvey as one of the two with the defenders we have at the club.

Guest Howaythetoon

A mate of mine today said he would take Rafa and relegation than staying up with SMC and another 3 or 4 years of him.

By the way if we do go down, I could see a scenario where Rafa stays and takes us back up. Its about the project with him!