Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Anyone else think the scarf they gave Rafa was totally embarrassing? :lol:

Just sat watching the news, with a certain other half sniggering at it. :hmm:

Looked like a knock off one you can get from a Spanish market.

Guest Redcustard

What kind of football does he tend to play? I know he's not an attacking manager as such but from memory he likes to pass the ball around and not hoof it iirc.

Is it quick tempo? does he like to use wingers to cross balls in?

It's high energy, hardworking stuff mate. If given time he'll make you really solid, methodical and machine like. You'll be a well drilled and well organised side. The Liverpool echo used to nickname us 'The red crushing machine' under Rafa. Another nickname we had was 'The team of captains'. Due to amount of international captains we had in the side back then.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rafa-benitez-sam-allardyce-set-7540669

Funny stuff - like him even more after reading that.

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7501232.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Southampton-v-Sunderland.jpg

:jones:

Aye :lol:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rafa-benitez-sam-allardyce-set-7540669

Funny stuff - like him even more after reading that.

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7501232.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Southampton-v-Sunderland.jpg

:jones:

Aye :lol:

Rockin on decent garys listening to gabba.

Looked like a knock off one you can get from a Spanish market.

I'm sure it was here, but someone said it looked pixelated.  It fucking does.  I can't take my eyes off it.  His biggest challenge is changing that scarf.

Redcustard has said most of what I was going to say.  Really love this man, and same for me, if we didn't have Klopp I'd be so jealous. 

Don't expect your players to like him though, Rafa doesn't get touchy feely or arm around the shoulder with players, he expects them to be professional and if they need a 'cuddle' it's usually his assistant that does it.  Thus, in 2005 when we won the EC Jamie Carragher said to Houllier 'it was your team that done it boss'.  It wasn't, we won that cup with Rafas know how and coaching and two great Spaniards he brought in, Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia, but it seems that Carragher carried his dislike right through.  In Rafas last few seasons Gerrard and Carragher gained far too much player power with the then CE Purslow, hence the appointment of Hodgson, who Carragher thought was a brilliant manager.

Rafa is as honest as the day is long, is intelligent, and can be very witty, but he's a control freak, he likes to build so don't be surprised if he tries to get control of your academy.  On the pitch you can expect all kinds of football, Rafa has more than a plan b, his go to c,d and e.  We played some of our sexiest football under Rafa, especially once he brought Torres in.

The press never had a good word to say about him when he was here, but that was because Ferguson hated him and we all know who controlled the press in his day.  Hopefully, that's all changed now the man is gone.

His family still live here on Merseyside and they are a much liked and respected family, I've often seen Rafa in town having a meal with his family, but never in the bars.  You have a great man and brilliant manager, who, given the chance, will take you forward.

Redcustard has said most of what I was going to say.  Really love this man, and same for me, if we didn't have Klopp I'd be so jealous. 

Don't expect your players to like him though, Rafa doesn't get touchy feely or arm around the shoulder with players, he expects them to be professional and if they need a 'cuddle' it's usually his assistant that does it.  Thus, in 2005 when we won the EC Jamie Carragher said to Houllier 'it was your team that done it boss'.  It wasn't, we won that cup with Rafas know how and coaching and two great Spaniards he brought in, Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia, but it seems that Carragher carried his dislike right through.  In Rafas last few seasons Gerrard and Carragher gained far too much player power with the then CE Purslow, hence the appointment of Hodgson, who Carragher thought was a brilliant manager.

Rafa is as honest as the day is long, is intelligent, and can be very witty, but he's a control freak, he likes to build so don't be surprised if he tries to get control of your academy.  On the pitch you can expect all kinds of football, Rafa has more than a plan b, his go to c,d and e.  We played some of our sexiest football under Rafa, especially once he brought Torres in.

The press never had a good word to say about him when he was here, but that was because Ferguson hated him and we all know who controlled the press in his day.  Hopefully, that's all changed now the man is gone.

His family still live here on Merseyside and they are a much liked and respected family, I've often seen Rafa in town having a meal with his family, but never in the bars.  You have a great man and brilliant manager, who, given the chance, will take you forward.

Our players have had too many 'cuddles'. What they need is someone who won't take any of their shit.

The most pleasing thing was that there was no f****** about.  Got them straight in for training, no doubt drilling into them what standards he expects. Straight into the dugout for Leicester, coaching staff in place.  Let's just crack and get some results

Exactly this.

He sounds just like the manager we've been wanting for a long time, the fans could see it but the club couldn't.

Hi guys,

Liverpool fan is peace here. Just wanted to congratulate on the appointment of Rafa. You've finally after all these years got yourselves a top manager and a damn nice fella as well. :) And if we didn't have Jurgen Klopp I'd be really jealous of you. I love the bones of this man.

I just hope he can keep you up. Those 6-pointers are going to be vitally important. Win them and you'll stay up imo. If you can do that and he remains beyond this season, with time and a lot of patience he'll build you a side you can all be proud of. First of all he'll try and make you hard to beat and build from there. It will be far from pretty at times and don't expect loads of attacking flair and excitement. Not at first anyway. Expect him to bring in a lot of hard working players with strong personalities and leadership qualities. He values all that above any fancy-dann individual brilliance. Hard work and team ethic is key to a Rafa Benitez side.

Amongst  problems we have had is that we had a collection of players with an eye on their next move rather than a team. Cant see Rafa tolerating not putting a shift in or meekly surrendering and accepting a hammering. Keep us up,  there is hope now that he can where before there was none, and hes got a long time project on his hands turning things around after the last 8 years think most would agree.

Really nice to see so many Liverpool lads popping in to wish us all the best. I was over on Rawk last night just reading the last half dozen pages of the Newcastle thread and pretty much to a man they all said how good Rafa was and the majority were wishing us luck. Contrast that to the makems RTG thread. Someone even said he preferred Allardyce to Rafa anyway. :D

I'm confident we're going to see something of a new manager bounce here. Has to be if how the fans feel is reflected to the players as well. The Derby is going to be electric for the first time in years.

On the pitch you can expect all kinds of football, Rafa has more than a plan b, his go to c,d and e.

:sweetjesus:

Something we have lacked for so,so long.

We lacked a plan A at times.

Guest Redcustard

To be fair though mate. Carra and Gerrard never really questioned his ability as a manager though. Just yesterday Carra said he was the best tactical manager he'd ever worked under. They just didn't warm to him as a person. Basically because Rafa never allowed himself to get too close to the players. He was the boss and he made sure they knew it.

Also, don't be surprised if he doesn't at first buy the players you think he should.  He likes two players for every position first of all, and as the windows come, he upgrades where he can, depending on the money available.

He is also very much a man who likes to buy versatile players.  Gerrards best goal scoring season was when Rafa played him on the right, of course Gerrard didn't like it so, apparently, he got written in his next contract that he'd play in midfield only. 

Guest Redcustard

If Rafa is allowed to spend a reasonable amount of money and replace some of the old guards. Its possibly we can challenge foe the European spots in 3 seasons.

HE will be well well loved here no doubt

That's what he wants. A club that will allow him time to build something and a club that will appreciate him. He hasn't really had that since he left us. Although I know the majority of Inter Milan fans liked him and were sorry with the way he was treated by their club and certain players who just downed tools on him because they still had a massive hard-on for Mourinho.*cough* Matterazzi *cough*