Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Although he's in that top tier of managers today, I can't say I ever really fancied him.  I must say that I have been impressed with the way he has willingly got down into the mud and given a great effort to lift the club up.  I will always have a high opinion of him for his effort.

Pretty sure I'm being overly optimistic but I've chosen to believe that his break clause was only publicised as an added incentive for the players to stay up. i.e. Stay up this year and you get to work with a world class manager next year. Go down and it's back to working for has-beens and charlatans.

Newcastle United will beg Rafa Benitez to stay - even if they are relegated to the Championship

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/20/newcastle-united-will-beg-rafa-benitez-to-stay---even-if-they-ar/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Newcastle United will plead with Rafa Benitez to remain as manager, even if they are relegated to the Championship, and hope the emotional bond he has built with supporters will persuade him to stay on Tyneside.

Newcastle ambassador and board member Bob Moncur has already asked Benitez to give an assurance he will stay after relegation, but Benitez is not willing to promise anything at this stage and will only discuss the matter at the end of the season.

Benitez has a clause in his contract that allows him to quit if he fails to save Newcastle from relegation and he is extremely reluctant to manage in the Championship. As things stand, he intends to leave if they go down.

However, Benitez is also aware of how much support he has among the club’s fans, who sang his name throughout Tuesday night’s 1-1 draw with Manchester City and he remains excited by the club’s untapped potential.

The Spaniard only took the Newcastle job because he believes it can eventually challenge for a Champions League place, in the same way Tottenham Hotspur have achieved with similar resources and fan base.

However, he also knows the size of the task will be huge if they go down and there is no guarantee they will make an immediate return to the Premier League.

For a manager who was in charge of Spanish giants Real Madrid at the start of the year, the thought of trips to Rotherham and Preston holds little appeal.

Benitez has carefully avoided answering questions about his future if Newcastle go down, merely saying he wants the club to remain in the top flight.

Newcastle, though, are determined to keep him, even if he fails in his short term aim, and are willing to make a series of promises to the former Liverpool, Chelsea and Real boss in a desperate effort to stop him quitting.

Benitez will be given full control over recruitment, which will almost certainly lead to the departure of chief scout Graham Carr, and will also be allowed to retain the players he wants to keep from the current squad.

Several of the club’s best players will want to leave if they are relegated, but Benitez will not be ordered to part with anyone who is willing to take on the challenge of returning the club to the Premier League.

If he is going to change his mind about managing in the Championship, Benitez will want assurances he will have the funds needed to rebuild the squad, despite the financial catastrophe of relegation.

That could force owner Mike Ashley to put his own money into the club, something he has previously insisted he is unwilling to do.

That could be achieved  if the owner is willing to start paying for the free advertising he receives at St James’ Park and at the club’s Benton training ground.

The stadium is covered in branding for his sports shop, which are also prominent on the electronic billboards around the pitch.

Telegraph Sport understands the possibility of Ashley paying for this perk of ownership has been discussed and the billionaire has not ruled it out, particularly as it would help Newcastle comply with the Football League’s Financial Fair play regulations.

Newcastle players are also desperate for Benitez to stay, impressing them with his leadership skills and coaching since replacing Steve McClaren last month.

The bit in bold is interesting.

In the Crows Nest after the match, Rafa came on the telly, everyone did the whole "shhhhhh" and listened in revered silence. Reminded me of when we used to do that with Keegan and Bobby.

Yep, I've talked about this before on here, specifically about Bobby. That's when you know the fans and the team are really together. Great stuff.

In the Crows Nest after the match, Rafa came on the telly, everyone did the whole "shhhhhh" and listened in revered silence. Reminded me of when we used to do that with Keegan and Bobby.

Yep, I've talked about this before on here, specifically about Bobby. That's when you know the fans and the team are really together. Great stuff.

You mean you didn't do that for Pardew and Carver? My word...

Walked past the radio at work today just as Rafa's interview from last night started. I froze like a mad man all lop sided so I could get clear air between the speaker and my ear  :lol:

Under Pardew or Carver the radio would have been going out the window.

Newcastle United will beg Rafa Benitez to stay - even if they are relegated to the Championship

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/20/newcastle-united-will-beg-rafa-benitez-to-stay---even-if-they-ar/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Newcastle United will plead with Rafa Benitez to remain as manager, even if they are relegated to the Championship, and hope the emotional bond he has built with supporters will persuade him to stay on Tyneside.

Newcastle ambassador and board member Bob Moncur has already asked Benitez to give an assurance he will stay after relegation, but Benitez is not willing to promise anything at this stage and will only discuss the matter at the end of the season.

Benitez has a clause in his contract that allows him to quit if he fails to save Newcastle from relegation and he is extremely reluctant to manage in the Championship. As things stand, he intends to leave if they go down.

However, Benitez is also aware of how much support he has among the club’s fans, who sang his name throughout Tuesday night’s 1-1 draw with Manchester City and he remains excited by the club’s untapped potential.

The Spaniard only took the Newcastle job because he believes it can eventually challenge for a Champions League place, in the same way Tottenham Hotspur have achieved with similar resources and fan base.

However, he also knows the size of the task will be huge if they go down and there is no guarantee they will make an immediate return to the Premier League.

For a manager who was in charge of Spanish giants Real Madrid at the start of the year, the thought of trips to Rotherham and Preston holds little appeal.

Benitez has carefully avoided answering questions about his future if Newcastle go down, merely saying he wants the club to remain in the top flight.

Newcastle, though, are determined to keep him, even if he fails in his short term aim, and are willing to make a series of promises to the former Liverpool, Chelsea and Real boss in a desperate effort to stop him quitting.

Benitez will be given full control over recruitment, which will almost certainly lead to the departure of chief scout Graham Carr, and will also be allowed to retain the players he wants to keep from the current squad.

Several of the club’s best players will want to leave if they are relegated, but Benitez will not be ordered to part with anyone who is willing to take on the challenge of returning the club to the Premier League.

If he is going to change his mind about managing in the Championship, Benitez will want assurances he will have the funds needed to rebuild the squad, despite the financial catastrophe of relegation.

That could force owner Mike Ashley to put his own money into the club, something he has previously insisted he is unwilling to do.

That could be achieved  if the owner is willing to start paying for the free advertising he receives at St James’ Park and at the club’s Benton training ground.

The stadium is covered in branding for his sports shop, which are also prominent on the electronic billboards around the pitch.

Telegraph Sport understands the possibility of Ashley paying for this perk of ownership has been discussed and the billionaire has not ruled it out, particularly as it would help Newcastle comply with the Football League’s Financial Fair play regulations.

Newcastle players are also desperate for Benitez to stay, impressing them with his leadership skills and coaching since replacing Steve McClaren last month.

The bit in bold is interesting.

Not sure why the Telegraph are claiming that as some sort of inside track.  The Mag reported on the statement in the accounts last week that said SD will now pay for promotion.

http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/04/breaking-news-sports-direct-will-now-pay-advertising-newcastle-united/

That article smacks of guesswork. It basically says nowt.

Don't they all, unless they carry quotes? Don't see how the article is different to any other.

It's not like Luke Edwards to write anything remotely positive about nufc hierarchy either.

More importantly, I desperately want to believe it, so how about you back the f*** off eh?

Benitez will leave if Newcastle go down. Simple. It is not his fault.

Probably the fans have a wish that Ashley will sell the club too. Then we will be another Leeds and Wigan.

Stupid cunt.

That article smacks of guesswork. It basically says nowt.

Don't they all, unless they carry quotes? Don't see how the article is different to any other.

It's not like Luke Edwards to write anything remotely positive about nufc hierarchy either.

More importantly, I desperately want to believe it, so how about you back the f*** off eh?

I actually feel pretty positive about him staying.

None of the journos have a clue though.

Guest antz1uk

“For me one of the most important things Benitez does is change a game and his tactical approach within a match; not everybody is able to do that.

“He reminds players of their obligations, he makes substitutions and he makes alterations during the game in terms of formations and so forth.

“That’s something that in the Premier League is still a huge advantage as I still feel there’s too many managers who go through the motions and put everything on the stars and rely on the individuals performing.

“That’s not something Benitez does.”

Pardew v Benitez is like night and day

Having a manager like Benitez and losing him, because of a relegation he could do little about, would be the most disappointing and frustrating thing that has ever happened at a club where disappointment and frustration are the norm.