Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I actually believe we would match up well against PL sides in the Cup competitions as well at full strength and our "edge" to the gulf in talent would be Rafa's preparations, tactics, and management of the match itself. I believe he's built that type of side through the transfer window and how he's setting them up to play.

I actually believe we would match up well against PL sides in the Cup competitions as well at full strength and our "edge" to the gulf in talent would be Rafa's preparations, tactics, and management of the match itself. I believe he's built that type of side through the transfer window and how he's setting them up to play.

Don't think there is a huge gulf between our squad and a good few PL sides

Just seems to me that he's so disciplined about seeing us as a long-term project. What we're seeing now are the first few steps, getting the basics of defending drilled in, making sure that the entire squad - even the fringe players - understand their roles and understand that we have to be solid and compact throughout the side. Considering how mentally fragile we've been, that's no easy task.  You can see the growth in Gouffran, Anita, Shelvey (to an extent), Lascelles, even Colback isn't quite as horrible as usual these days.

I think we'll see this sort of match a lot over the first few months. Ideally once we're more comfortable and confident, there'll be a bit more flair. For now, this is exactly what we need. Settle the team down, get used to controlling matches and winning. We haven't had a mentality like that for a long, long time.

I guess especially since we've had such clowns in charge for so long, to see a boss with a genuinely earned air of authority is reassuring.

Who would have thought shit players play better against shitter opponents :lol: 

I agree with you by the way. Love how Rafa is building this team.

:lol: I'm going to have to recalibrate. mrs n said this morning, "How's your bruise?". I'm like "my fucking what, now?"

She said "Look at your upper inside arm, from where you fell over like a startled goat when they scored a second goal, you massive fucking idiot".

Fuck me, I've got a massive fucking bruise. I have no idea. No pain at all, what did I hit?

Investigations continue. Love Rafa and all his works.

Don't think there is a huge gulf between our squad and a good few PL sides

I think you're right there tbh. The thing that's far different today than even last season and the obvious big name players is we are playing like a Rafa side which means we are intelligent, compact, and hard working on both ends of the pitch.

Really hope we get a (lower half) Premier League side should we beat Wolves in the cup. Should be good timing for us with Rafa's tactics having settled with all the new players and to test us how good we are against that quality of opposition.

Really hope we get a (lower half) Premier League side should we beat Wolves in the cup. Should be good timing for us with Rafa's tactics having settled with all the new players and to test us how good we are against that quality of opposition.

I agree, I think it was really important in the 92/93 promotion that we drew Boro (who were in the PL at the time) in an early round of the League cup and beat them comfortably, I would like to say it was 3-1. This gave us confidence I think in that we were more than good enough.

I agree, I think it was really important in the 92/93 promotion that we drew Boro (who were in the PL at the time) in an early round of the League cup and beat them comfortably, I would like to say it was 3-1. This gave us confidence I think in that we were more than good enough.

0-0 at home and won 3-1 in the 2nd leg at Ayresome Park.