Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

What's to say Townsend didn't just decide he wanted to stay and help keep Palace up? We've been very restricted when you look at who/what we've been linked to. We don't want to spunk shitloads of cash now on players who won't cut the mustard in the premier league. Sheff Wed have spent 10m quid on Jordan Rhodes! He couldn't get a game for Boro who aren't prolific.

We've decided to stick. Let's see what Rafa says in the coming days and more importantly look to the summer. If things start to go wrong there then yes there's a problem. But for now let's just hope we do what we need to in order to be promoted

I'd like to believe that the club haven't been a bunch of tight cunts, and there was some other mitigating factor keeping the Townsend deal from being done. But that's probably wishful thinking. Even if there was, we should've been after someone else then.

It's really disappointing, and if it really is a case of us simply not paying a couple million quid, then we're basically back to the old transfer window mentality.

However, the circumstances are different now to other transfer windows. Yes, they're doing the whole "we know best" thing again, which has always invariably backfired on them... but we do have the most expensive squad in the division. It's a squad with decent depth and has many of the most talented players in the league - as well as having the best and most expensive manager above them. Like I said last night, Rafa was never going to convince the board that we absolutely had to recruit.

It's frustrating and bodes badly for the future, but as of right now, it's a pretty low risk imo.

:thup:

I just hope it's a case of Mike whiteying at the thought of spending any more money in this division. It's the best I think I can allow myself. Just going to enjoy the season and pray we have a plan for the Premiership. We will spend money if/when we go up, no doubt about that, it just needs to be with the full backing of Benitez however much it is.

Maybe the players we wanted this window (ones that Prem quality for next year) maybe just didn't, I don't know, want to come to a fucking Championship club? It's really not that hard to understand and maybe had nothing to do with Rafa or Ashley.

Once we go up, expect a huge summer.

hope rafa comes out tomorrow and eactually explains what happened.

It will all be very coded I reckon

Yes - too wily to start slagging the owner at this point.

Will carry on until summer,  he or his agent all the while receiving offers from more ambitious clubs until another transfer fiasco results in a move away after a sizeable compensation payment to Ashley...lovely jubbly for him !

Fans the only losers once again and will have to settle for a Warnock-type appointment to keep the club above the bottom PL places...provided Rafa has been able to get the club up.

As predictable as the sun coming up in the East...only a massive transfer kitty in June will prevent this or something like it.

We have a mint team man, I don't know what is going on here.

A mint team...? That's already LOST 7 matches with only half a season gone and no team strengthening after we blatantly struggled when Shelvey was out..?

Not my description at all - promoted sides hardly ever lose more than 5 or 6 games in a season.

We have a mint team man, I don't know what is going on here.

A mint team...? That's already LOST 7 matches with only half a season gone and no team strengthening after we blatantly struggled when Shelvey was out..?

Not my description at all - promoted sides hardly ever lose more than 5 or 6 games in a season.

I agree with what you're saying to an extent, and I too am worried about automatic promotion but having said that its worth mentioning that we are currently 2 points better off now than we were after the same amount of games played in the last promotion season.

It does irk me massively that there's a fairly good chance we could be into double figures for losses by the end of the season but if we make up the points with the wins how much does it really matter?

It is something Rafa is yet to solve though, why do we seem incapable both mentally and tactically of coming back into a game we go 1-0 down in?

We needed two new faces in, decent quality CM cover in case Shelvey is crocked, and a solid winger, and it looks like we've missed out on both, I pray it doesn't come back to bite us.

P.s your previous post is bang on, and sadly exactly what I think will end up happening down the line.

We have struggled to come back from losing positions in the league for years. We only came back to win something like 4 times under Pardew, we have had a mentally fragile squad for ages now and the heads go down as soon as we go behind.

We have struggled to come back from losing positions in the league for years. We only came back to win something like 4 times under Pardew, we have had a mentally fragile squad for ages now and the heads go down as soon as we go behind.

True, but if we're "trusting Rafa" then surely we should be able to rely on him to sort this out? It's been over half the season.

If we go up, Rafa will not want to manage a team whose sole ambition is to survive.  He's ambitious - a winner.  I have no doubt that fatso will not back him suitably to fulfil his ambitions and it'll end in tears, just a matter of when.  If Ashley has let him down over promises at this early stage, Rafa should walk and let it implode and let Ashley reap the consequences.

If Rafa can't get this squad to finish in the top 2, he would have to take his fair share of the blame like. He's a world class manager, and has arguably the best squad in the league. Good thing is that he's doing well enough so far and I have no doubt that he will continue to do so.

If Rafa can't get this squad to finish in the top 2, he would have to take his fair share of the blame like. He's a world class manager, and has arguably the best squad in the league. Good thing is that he's doing well enough so far and I have no doubt that he will continue to do so.

And he will get us up. Comfortably

I'm as anti Ashley as they come but there is need for cautious calm here, we've had our wobbles but the points and goals totals are as good as hoped. I think a midfielder was necessary and summer is the time to worry if the same games are played because the right acquisitions then will be vital. Little trust in the bank for them to do it but we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm not worries. Promotion is definitely doable from our position. Nobody other than Ashley and Charnley really know the ins and outs of any of our deals and the real reason we didn't sign anyone. Its understandable why people think the worst with Ashley though and it always will be, we need to remember going into every window that je's the man in chanrge and stop kidding ourselves (especially in January) that we're going to go radge on deadline day spunking millions on average players for the sake of getting extra bodies in, because we're not, and that for me is why we didn't sign shite like Barrow.

How many Championship clubs have signed players this January, for reasonable fees by today's standards, that we should have signed?

And he will get us up. Comfortably

:thup: It would take either disastrous management or horrific luck with injuries to fail to get automatic promotion, given our position and the strength of our team. In Rafa we trust.

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW, not getting players in isn't really the issue. The issue is Rafa explicitly saying that we need players and the club once again failing to get them.

FWIW, not getting players in isn't really the issue. The issue is Rafa explicitly saying that we need players and the club once again failing to get them.

But, Townsend aside (as we don't truly know who/why the plug was pulled on that one), should the club pay over the odds for players, just because the manager says he wants/needs players in?

I'm sure Rafa would understand this - that while promotion is still far from certain, there are some players and fees the club cant realistically justify paying. Or the flip side being, we sign (more) average squad filler, just so we can say the manager wanted them, so we got them??

January is a crazy window to be buying players, as selling clubs know the buyers tend to be desperate, so the prices are artificially inflated.