Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

It's also the reason why I dont think we will get relegated.

I do worry about us at home though. Last year wasn't good enough.

We were unbeaten in 5 at home in Premier League under him mind and that was against a range of levels of Premier League teams.

Finished "Inside the Rafalution" by Mark douglas today. Overall a good read with some interesting insights, especially in the pre-Rafa era.

The book seemed to be strangely rushed at the end though. I kept looking at the remaining pages thinking there was so much to cover and so few pages left. Not sure if there was a publication deadline but took the taint off a good book imo

Finished "Inside the Rafalution" by Mark douglas today. Overall a good read with some interesting insights, especially in the pre-Rafa era.

The book seemed to be strangely rushed at the end though. I kept looking at the remaining pages thinking there was so much to cover and so few pages left. Not sure if there was a publication deadline but took the taint off a good book imo

It might have been rushed to get out to compete with Martin Hardy's 'Rafa's way' which I'm currently reading and it's quality!

His first two NUFC books are well worth a read too!

It might have been rushed to get out to compete with Martin Hardy's 'Rafa's way' which I'm currently reading and it's quality!

His first two NUFC books are well worth a read too!

Heard good reviews but I'm too tight to spend £20 on a book. I'll wait for the paperback!

Jonjo Shelvey reveals Newcastle United are working on a new gameplan for the Premier League

Newcastle United will do things differently in the Premier League, admits Jonjo Shelvey

Jonjo Shelvey has revealed Newcastle United are working on a new gameplan to cope with top flight opponents who will dominate possession.

United hit Wolfsburg on the break in Wednesday’s 3-1 win in Germany, with Christian Atsu and Aleksandar Mitrovic’s goals both coming as Newcastle utilised their pace and passing precision to spring their opponent’s defence.

It was not a coincidence, admits vice captain Shelvey , who says that Newcastle are fully aware that they will need to set up and execute differently against better rivals in the top flight.

Asked by NUFC TV whether the counter-attacking was part of a change in emphasis by the team, Shelvey said: “We’ve been working on that sort of gameplan because we’re going to come up against teams in the Premier League who are going to have a lot more possession than we have. It was different in the Championship where we were the the team to go to at the end of the day.

“We need to get used to not having the ball and being compact and narrow. That paid off (against Wolfsburg).”

Although there has been much talk of the deals Newcastle haven’t managed to do yet, there have been some signs in pre-season that existing squad members are ready to step up and deliver.

Shelvey himself has looked in good shape and he created the third goal in Germany with an excellent run after latching on to Javier Manquillo’s through ball. He admits that he’s fitter than he’s ever been before coming into a new season.

“It’s always good to be as fit as you can be,” he told NUFC TV.

“There’s no doubt with the ability side of my game but it’s the fitness that’s come in. I feel the best I’ve ever felt playing football so it’s going to be interesting this season.

“You want to play as many minutes as you can in pre-season. It’s good that I’ve got 90 minutes in the tank.”

“I’m a little bit fitter now and I need to do that sort of stuff now.

“I was just having a conversation with Dwight in the dressing room, saying ‘Would you have shot there?’ He said ‘Yeah, probably’ but the way I play if there’s a player in a better position you find them.

“It doesn’t matter who scores, as long as the team does.”

United kick off in the Premier League a week on Sunday when they entertain Tottenham , who finished second last season. Shelvey is excited.

“I can’t wait for the Spurs game. It’s boring without it. I’ve just been watching a load of rubbish on the telly,” he said.

“It’s just good that the season is back up and running. I can’t wait for it all to start.”

For the bold/those with ScriptSafe installed: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jonjo-shelvey-reveals-newcastle-united-13426799

Part of the reason I think we'll be alright is because we have looked very dangerous when able to play a more cautious/counter-attacking approach with this group of players. There's no doubt our possession % is going to drop significantly this season, so it's great to hear that we're working meticulously on being effective when that's the case.

Could still do with adding some more options with pace, but we're building a decent core of people who can facilitate us playing quickly now. Quick brains, quick feet.

For the bold/those with ScriptSafe installed: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jonjo-shelvey-reveals-newcastle-united-13426799

Part of the reason I think we'll be alright is because we have looked very dangerous when able to play a more cautious/counter-attacking approach with this group of players. There's no doubt our possession % is going to drop significantly this season, so it's great to hear that we're working meticulously on being effective when that's the case.

Could still do with adding some more options with pace, but we're building a decent core of people who can facilitate us playing quickly now. Quick brains, quick feet.

I certainly think a lot of folks on here are underestimating the ability we do have in the squad when assessed against the vast majority of the sides in the PL. They seem to be trying to compare us to Chelsea, Manure, Liverpool or Spuds. Of course we are nowhere near that quality, but we are a lot closer to the likes of Watford, WBA, Stoke , Southampton and even West Ham than folks on here want to make out.

If we can steer clear of major injuries we'll be absolutely fine, where we will have problems is if we have to dip to far into our squad as there is a huge drop off in quality in certain areas.

I certainly think a lot of folks on here are underestimating the ability we do have in the squad when assessed against the vast majority of the sides in the PL. They seem to be trying to compare us to Chelsea, Manure, Liverpool or Spuds. Of course we are nowhere near that quality, but we are a lot closer to the likes of Watford, WBA, Stoke , Southampton and even West Ham than folks on here want to make out.

If we can steer clear of major injuries we'll be absolutely fine, where we will have problems is if we have to dip to far into our squad as there is a huge drop off in quality in certain areas.

I think most understand that, i just feel like most expect a lot more than being involved a relegation scrap with Rafa managing the team and the owner is threatening that.

When asked about transfers after the win against Wolfsburg, Benitez said: “We are where we are. For us it has been a difficult transfer window.

“Hopefully we can improve the team a little bit but we have to move players out and also look to bring players in.

“But we are trying to find the balance.”

Benitez knows the fans are anxious for transfer news but after 250 supporters made their way out to Germany for a midweek game with an afternoon kick off, Benitez offered his thanks to those who travelled.

And the manager and his staff mingled with some fans before the game after they turned up at the Innside hotel in Wolfsburg to greet the players.

Rafa said: “We met them before the game. The told me they were enjoying the weather and it was also good to see them around and supporting the team.

“They are quite vocal and it’s a big positive.

“It was a good day for them and a good day for us and hopefully everybody linked with Newcastle.”

I think most understand that, i just feel like most expect a lot more than being involved a relegation scrap with Rafa managing the team and the owner is threatening that.

As long as Shelvey and Gayle stay injury and suspension free, I don't think we will be involved in a relegation scrap with Rafa managing us. Chris Hughton and Pardew managed us to a comfortable return the last time we went down, Rafa is way better than those two of course and this squad is better than that squad. Right now we are a team with mid table aspirations rather than a one that people here are panicking about that hovers around the bottom three all season.

I'd be amazed if this team didn't outperform the McClaren team like.

That team was relegated by 2 points.

And this absolutely, look at the pre-season prep we had that year, look at how we were so mismanaged, is that squad any stronger than the one we have now ?

Guest Howaythetoon

Yay, lets scrape survival with Rafa, 53,000 fans and 100m + TV revenue....

For what its worth I feel this team as is would struggle. I don't think we would go down and that's purely because of who our manager is but fuck me, what a life to live just surviving.

I guarantee Brighton and Huddersfield will be hoping to achieve more than that.

For what its worth I feel this team as is would struggle. I don't think we would go down and that's purely because of who our manager is but fuck me, what a life to live just surviving.

howay man i don't think anyone is saying we should be aiming to scrape survival, certainly not as a long term goal

we might just have to suck it up this season until we can sort ourselves out a bit more and suckle at the PL teat for a bit as well

Guest Howaythetoon

While i agree with HTT in general, it sure as hell seems like Brighton are not aiming for much at all. I don't recall them signing anyone at all so far.

To be fair its their first season in the PL so anything above survival will be a huge bonus and therefore considered good going compared to us, but I guarantee CH will be looking at more than  just surviving.

Guest Howaythetoon

For what its worth I feel this team as is would struggle. I don't think we would go down and that's purely because of who our manager is but f*** me, what a life to live just surviving.

howay man i don't think anyone is saying we should be aiming to scrape survival, certainly not as a long term goal

we might just have to suck it up this season until we can sort ourselves out a bit more and suckle at the PL teat for a bit as well

I'm not saying anyone is... The owner and board, however...?!

Guest Howaythetoon

Erm... I don't think they will. Offer either of those sides 17th this season and they'd take it IMO.

I honestly think they wouldn't, their spending over the last few years, their managerial appointments and their upwardly ambition all suggest otherwise.