Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Lets clear up this relagation experiience nonsense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Ben%C3%ADtez#Early_career

It's all nonsense anyway, you only have relegation experience if you are shite to begin with. There is no reason at all why a top class manager who has won things at the very top and dealt with the pressure of winning every week would have any issue with dealing with the pressures at the bottom.

Lets clear up this relagation experiience nonsense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Ben%C3%ADtez#Early_career

It's all nonsense anyway, you only have relegation experience if you are s**** to begin with. There is no reason at all why a top class manager who has won things at the very top and dealt with the pressure of winning every week would have any issue with dealing with the pressures at the bottom.

It's one of the dumbest narratives I've ever seen get peddled this much. Completely asinine.

I'm in love with football again.  Happy, buzzing and can't wait of the next match.  Guess it'll take a few games to get to know the players so his early teams may be not quite the finished article. 

This is all Ashley had to do, pay for quality and then buy some decent players.  You've need the infrastructure and have to start at the top with a top drawer manager, and that's what we now have.  I so hope this is a genuine change of philosophy and Ashley will back him with transfer funds and make us at least challenge again.  This being Ashley i'm just fearful that he'll mess it up go back on his word.  I so hope not, this is a massive opportunity and if all parties get it right this will be some team - and Rafa seems to see that too.  Great day.

Guest DonaldGrump

First post here long time fan and sadly going to pour some cold water over the fires of euphoria. Rafa Benitez is a fantastic appointment no doubt. The problem I see is how long he will be here. 

Firstly he has to perform a minor miracle and keep us up, given he cannot bring any players in to help and has to make do with the players we have that in itself is a tall order. We have no goal scoring strikers, Rafa cannot go out there and score them himself, likewise we are woefully ill equipped at the back. He is a good manager no doubt but turning a turd into a chocolate cake and or having Stephen Taylor in the back four and not conceding more than enough goals to plummet out of the division is a very tall order indeed.

Longer term should we stay up you assume that he has asked for Ashleys assurance of the kind of funds required for him to be able to turn this club into a champions league side? Lets face it he wont be interested in managing a mid table side with no european competition. Now given Ashleys track record and our clubs inability to get them over the line I wonder how long it will take for him to feel that Ashley has filled him with shit?

My view is that until the fat retailer is gone from the club we are fundamentally screwed and the arrival of Benitez may lift spirits and may just see us preserve our premier league status by the skin of our teeth, but I would be mighty suprised if Rafa is still here a year from today.

First post here long time fan and sadly going to pour some cold water over the fires of euphoria. Rafa Benitez is a fantastic appointment no doubt. The problem I see is how long he will be here. 

Firstly he has to perform a minor miracle and keep us up, given he cannot bring any players in to help and has to make do with the players we have that in itself is a tall order. We have no goal scoring strikers, Rafa cannot go out there and score them himself, likewise we are woefully ill equipped at the back. He is a good manager no doubt but turning a turd into a chocolate cake and or having Stephen Taylor in the back four and not conceding more than enough goals to plummet out of the division is a very tall order indeed.

Longer term should we stay up you assume that he has asked for Ashleys assurance of the kind of funds required for him to be able to turn this club into a champions league side? Lets face it he wont be interested in managing a mid table side with no european competition. Now given Ashleys track record and our clubs inability to get them over the line I wonder how long it will take for him to feel that Ashley has filled him with shit?

My view is that until the fat retailer is gone from the club we are fundamentally screwed and the arrival of Benitez may lift spirits and may just see us preserve our premier league status by the skin of our teeth, but I would be mighty suprised if Rafa is still here a year from today.

Staying up is obviously going to be tough and if it doesn't happen he'll be gone. Totally accept that. :thup:

But if you can't see beyond that and be excited about this appointment then there's literally no hope left for you regarding NUFC. It's by some distance the most ambitious thing we've ever done under Ashley, and possibly since Robson.

He said "I have committed to a Legendary club...."  Does that sound like a 10 match appointment?  I think he wants to be here for the long haul.

I think he believes he's keeping us up so naturally, but if we do go down i will be quite shocked if he stays.

Staying up is obviously going to be tough and if it doesn't happen he'll be gone. Totally accept that. :thup:

But if you can't see beyond that and be excited about this appointment then there's literally no hope left for you regarding NUFC. It's by some distance the most ambitious thing we've ever done under Ashley, and possibly since Robson.

I agree Dave, when the alternative was continue the way we were then we are down, we appoint from within how much is likely the change this was the biggest leap forward we could make right now would things have been better if:

we never got McClaren in the first place

we didnt do a Graeme Souness style and spend a big load on players a proper manager may not want

we didnt wait this late in the game to change

However all we can do is move forward a little bit of a clean slate for the big hitter players the team have that have not done it at all he will butt heads and fall out with some and we may end up cutting ties with players we like and he doesnt if we stay up and he stays but such is life.

He looses the 10 games then yeah its the structure its the team and we deserved it most of the season to go down but if your looking for the ray of light moment to come its this change today

Longer term should we stay up you assume that he has asked for Ashleys assurance of the kind of funds required for him to be able to turn this club into a champions league side? Lets face it he wont be interested in managing a mid table side with no european competition. Now given Ashleys track record and our clubs inability to get them over the line I wonder how long it will take for him to feel that Ashley has filled him with s***?

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/familyguy/images/3/33/Buzz_Killington.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090720220816

Newcastle are getting an obsessive in Rafael Benítez. He watched Milan train on his honeymoon and his wife says he introduced her to 4-4-2 on their first date.

Has a good control of his wife. Key.

:megusta:

At current I think we have the 3rd best manager in the league behind Pelegrini and Wenger. Klopp and Pochettino are right behind Rafa with Hiddink and LVG not far behind them. I prefer the style of Klopp and Pochettino, but given the same jobs and resources I feel Rafa would be more successful, especially in Europe. Perhaps he would be more successful in Europe than Wenger with Arsenal also...

Guardiola coming in next season makes him number 1 followed by Wenger and then wor Rafa, if we stay up. Then its Klopp and Pochettino. If Mourinho joins Man Utd he goes to 2nd, Wenger 3rd and Rafa 4th.

If Pelegrini somehow joins another PL club, he becomes 3rd behind Pep and Jose, above Wenger and Rafa.

In short, we have a f***ing world-class elite manager at our club, one of the best in world football and PL football. He's nee Pardew or McClaren though...  :yao:

Antonio Conte nailed on to be at Chelsea too though. He'd be right up there imo.

I am so happy at thisthis I could almost cry! In his honour, I am having my bloody Marys tonight gazpacho style! Outstanding appointment! Let weh gan!

Far too many exclamation marks, but I don't care as I'm so excited!!!

I think you're underestimating the change a good manager can bring, when Sir Bobby took over from a failing Gullit he turned a massively failing squad around quickly starting with a draw at Chelsea and a massive 8-0 win against relegation rivals Sheffield Wednesday. Granted Rafa doesn't have Shearer to call upon but Shearer was going through a barren spell and finding times difficult until Bobby came in and changed his game, saw the problems and helped him work with the strengths he still possessed, he score 5 that day.

Now I'm not saying he's will turn Collback into Makalele overnight or Mitrovic into Shearer but this squad has been badly mismanaged for too long and with the right vision and coaching a lot more can be found from there.

You could be right about Ashley, though he does seem to want to spend what the club has available to it and going for Rafa in the first place is a massive step in the right direction and a statement of intent. I hope (there we go with that word again) that this is a new leaf but again he could just as easily pull the rug out from underneath us. We'll see how it pans out but right now I'm enjoying what's happening and I'll revel in the hope that it brings, if those hopes get dashed on the rocks again so be it.

Longer term should we stay up you assume that he has asked for Ashleys assurance of the kind of funds required for him to be able to turn this club into a champions league side? Lets face it he wont be interested in managing a mid table side with no european competition. Now given Ashleys track record and our clubs inability to get them over the line I wonder how long it will take for him to feel that Ashley has filled him with s***?

I think you're underestimating the change a good manager can bring, when Sir Bobby took over from a failing Gullit he turned a massively failing squad around quickly starting with a draw at Chelsea and a massive 8-0 win against relegation rivals Sheffield Wednesday. Granted Rafa doesn't have Shearer to call upon but Shearer was going through a barren spell and finding times difficult until Bobby came in and changed his game, saw the problems and helped him work with the strengths he still possessed, he score 5 that day.

Now I'm not saying he's will turn Collback into Makalele overnight or Mitrovic into Shearer but this squad has been badly mismanaged for too long and with the right vision and coaching a lot more can be found from there.

You could be right about Ashley, though he does seem to want to spend what the club has available to it and going for Rafa in the first place is a massive step in the right direction and a statement of intent. I hope (there we go with that word again) that this is a new leaf but again he could just as easily pull the rug out from underneath us. We'll see how it pans out but right now I'm enjoying what's happening and I'll revel in the hope that it brings, if those hopes get dashed on the rocks again so be it.

nice one