Wrestling

Loved the look of the card myself, other than the Minneapolis Street fight. That whole feud has been shite, especially as someone who doesn't understand the appreciation for Lambert's already-stale shtick nor Jericho's weekly masturbatory entrance. But tbh the match itself did its job when the MMA fighters hid. Hopefully that's that, though. 

All in all loved the show. Hangman's moment makes that match of the night but otherwise I probably would've said Darby/MJF. 

On 14/11/2021 at 01:02, samptime29 said:

I think it's a strong card but I respect your opinion. See how the PPV goes. 

20 quid is a good price point for me. 

I had no issue with the card to be honest. It was a blend of wrestling and sports entertainment. It was never going to be one way or the other, but I don't really have much interest in the sports entertainment side so I was able to cut plenty of it out.

CM Punk is by far the best wrestler they have on the show. He's close to 96-97 Bret Hart level in my opinion. His matches always have solid psychology and he never looks like he's cooperating with his opponent to do moves. It's all very much laid out to look like a believable physical contest. Better still, he elevates the other guy, not only by being in the ring with him, but manages to put them over, even when he wins the match. Kingston may have lost, but he came away looking like a bigger star than when he went into the match.

I enjoyed Danielson vs Miro as well. When they are doing serious things with Rusev, I can get onboard with him. He can fulfil that heel Batista role very nicely.

I'm not sure what I thought of the main event. It had that overbooked feeling to it, that I'm not sure was necessary; referee bump, Caliss intereference, Hogan brothers arriving at ringside. I really would have preferred a one on one contest with a straight forward ending that saw Page kick out of Omega's finisher and beat him clean. For a world title match, there was just too much going on there for me. Less is more, particuarly when it comes to the big title.

In skipping through the show, unfortunately I caught parts of the disasterous 20 plus minutes of the Elite vs Christian & Jurassic Express. Looked like the worst match on the card by a long distance. Unsurprising.

Edited by O Neill

@O Neill, is Danielson doing the HBK thing where he's intentionally wanting us to feel like his career is on the verge of being ended (again) multiple times a match?

If so, it's working and he's fucking brilliant at it. Can't remember the last time I stayed up until that late watching wrestling, although having it for free through the dodgy Firestick probably helped.

12 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Hangman vs Danielson is a very interesting title match. I assume we will get on that TV next month.

Battle of the Belts in early January? Looking back at the (albeit brief) history of the belt it seems 6 weeks isn't out of the ordinary as far as time between winning and first defence.

First week of January should be great considering you'll have that special as well as them wanting to make the first Dynamite on TBS pretty memorable.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

@O Neill, is Danielson doing the HBK thing where he's intentionally wanting us to feel like his career is on the verge of being ended (again) multiple times a match?

If so, it's working and he's fucking brilliant at it. Can't remember the last time I stayed up until that late watching wrestling, although having it for free through the dodgy Firestick probably helped.

I assumed he was legit injured given how long he was out of action with the WWE. With head injuries I guess there is always an on-going concern that the next match could be his last match. You don't want to compare to Chris Benoit, but the thought is always in the back of the mind. I would think of the recent names they've brought in, Danielson is the one that will have the shortest run.

I'm not so sure they'll be doing a Danielson vs Page match soon though. I don't think that's a match that helps either guy. Page just won the belt and I'm not sure they want to be beating Danielson at this stage. They've already done the time limit draw with Omega, so I don't know where they go if they decide to do that match. It would have made more sense to me not to have done Page vs Omega and left the belt where it was for Danielson to beat Omega.

29 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

They'll announce Windham Rotunda imo.

Never seen Jay Lethal wrestle before, assuming he's legit?

He is, but the issue is that he is probably more famous for the Black Machismo (Macho Man Randy Savage rip-off) gimmick or the Ric Flair feud, where he basicaly imitated Flair and used his promos, than he is for being Jay Lethal. He also hasn't been on mainstream TV for a while, so it's not like bringing in Adam Cole or Bobby Fish. He's probably going to be someone they can put into the mid-card that will work a few good matches.

56 minutes ago, wormy said:

Battle of the Belts in early January? Looking back at the (albeit brief) history of the belt it seems 6 weeks isn't out of the ordinary as far as time between winning and first defence.

First week of January should be great considering you'll have that special as well as them wanting to make the first Dynamite on TBS pretty memorable.

Yeah actually, you're probably right.

I only got a chance to catch Hangman's National Cowboy Shit Day celebration before work but I just have to give a shout to (do we do spoilers bearing in mind most UK fan won't have watched yet? I feel like only a handful of us care about AEW anyway but here goes!):

Spoiler

BD for managing to draw heat so damn effortlessly. Granted, Page's home state, the past 2 years build up etc. But to so seamlessly go from a chorus of yes chants to boos in a handful of minutes was just masterful. Makes a mockery of more than a few comments I've seen online asking how on earth they were going to book Danielson as Page's first defence because 'hE nEeDs A hEeL'.

Jesus and the match. He's just so good at playing whatever role is needed. Even down to refusing the chop battles and the extra venom in 'I've got five'. 

I knew nothing of Lio Rush and wasn't feeling his manager role, which I think put me in the minority. But dear God that guy can go. There's something so satisfying about his dodges.

Just a great night from start to finish.

And on the more lighthearted side, any fans of Danhausen here? I can't shake the desperate urge for him to show up at Rampage during Darby/Billy Ass after all the Twitter antics. :lol: Even with a broken leg that guy would be gold. 

Again, watching the opening segment before work and leaving the rest for this evening. But my God I'm actually in awe of how well-mapped out AEW is in general. Obviously having just caught up on the 2+ year Hangman story arc that was impressive enough. But the fact that I find CM Punk getting 'stale' with the love everyone and everything shtick? Of course, because that was the whole point of his arc. And then I've started getting a bit worn out by MJF's constant cheap digs lately? Of course, because he was lining it up for CM Punk to express his disappointment at. It's actually amazing.

EDIT: Get the feeling they ran over considering the technical glitch of Excalibur voicing over the Dynamite ad break graphic about things moving around? :lol: Good call to let them do so though; more than worth it.

Edited by wormy

:lol: Andrade's flailing legs trying to divert attention did amuse me. 

Cody's current shtick seems to be rubbing a lot of fans the wrong way but I'm highly intrigued and amused by the HHH nods. 

Oh, and Brandi looked like she enjoyed watching her husband burn way too much. :lol:

Love that Danhausen. He's even managed to get the Gunn Club over ffs. I just want him to show up in AEW following the Dark Order around like he's always been there while they wonder where the hell he came from. I imagine he'd already be there but for the leg break. 

Last night was just fantastic imo. The Bret Hart effect of MJF in Long Island (was quite nice how genuinely overwhelmed he seemed by the reception). The whole Battle Royale and all the overarching storylines. Hayter/Riho was so fun and BD/Johnny Hungee was as good as expected. 

Random but I think I'm on board with the House of Black theory and I'm all for a heel Julia Hart if it goes down. Been thinking she could make a quality badass turn based on nothing but the fact her constant smile looks so forced. :lol: