Rimworld

Deserves its own thread really. It's one of the most infuriating games in the world, but I can't stop playing it. Literally, I'm getting up earlier in the morning to squeeze in a few more hours of misery.

Also, the subreddit has some of the most depressing stories of colonies ever. :lol:

I had embarked to an icecap, averaging -40F in the heat of summer, reaching around -145F in the coldsnaps of winter. Two of my initial three were brilliant. "Fox" was an expert researcher, who quickly got geothermals and hydroponics online. Mayfield, an elder surgeon and something like the colony patriarch, was the genius doctor who could treat frostbite and bullet wounds alike with only a slate shiv and garden herbs. The other one, Xavier, was able to scrabble together a metal hovel for the gang to cower in, burning away scarce firewood until they could get heaters up and running.

The poverty was gripping, but so was the ingenuity of the first three. They tunneled into a small hill and called it home. Dozens of heaters kept frostbite at bay, bare subsistence agriculture permitted them to survive the first terrible winter. There was a great scarcity of metal because no one could go outside mining, but other than that, they were safe. Fox suggested the name Novgulag for this cruel place, and it stuck.

How were they insulated? After the cold was banished from the interior of their base, it remained outside, menacing the colony through the marble airlock doors. But they were also insulated from many other dangers. No fearsome animal life threatened them, nor sickness. Raiders would regularly come in the dead of winter, in weather well below -100F, and would freeze at the colony gates. All that needed to be done was to repair the blast doors in shifts, and let the raiders succumb to the frost.

Then summer would come. Precious little sunlight would shine among the ice. It would not melt. It would never melt. But at -40F, the colony could send out engineers and technicians for a few moments to set up new geothermal generators. Every summer the colony would expand, like a tree with its rings, as fresh power brought fresh agriculture, brought fresh wealth. But there was a darker side to this vision.

The icecap spared nothing, not even basic human decency. While a few migrants may be accepted, most people died at the gates. The cold was too bitter to open the doors, even for a moment, and it would just be another mouth to feed anyway. With the coming of summer, the corpses were harvested, butchered. Mountains of bodies under the snow. The meat was sold off, the hide used to make comfortable human leather armchairs. Mayfield was especially fond of spending his spring, autumn and winter days relaxing on those chairs, watching television, and drinking.

One summer the colony had done extremely well. The original hill could not hold all of the colony anymore, so they expanded to a neighboring one. A covered and heated walkway was built at great expense to enable interaction between these two parts despite the bitter cold. This expansion harbored more hydroponics tables, more heaters, and even a prison system so that colonists would not be endangered by captives being held in the room next to them, and kept in check by a turret line. All this space mined out by the barrel-chested Xavier.

Mayfield suggested that the medical facilities be overhauled, and that there be made an emergency bunker in case of impending doom. The next summer, it was made. The covered walkway was extended, brought down to a hill in the south, and rooms were dug out. A cryosleep chamber was built. In it, maybe a dozen caskets were arranged together. To its side was a food storage room. Normally one might need a lot of energy to keep it all frozen, but in Novgulag the colonials simply didn't heat the freezer. Turrets were also installed at the entrance in case of emergency.

All this building was done by the first migrant, a pretty girl named Stella. Fox took a liking to her. Everyone did. She was the best builder in the whole colony. In a place where summer means you have to work fast, her ability to set up power generation, heating elements, and external structures was greatly appreciated.

Mayfield, Fox, Xavier and Stella were "the four." They were the ones who kept the colony together. Foolish migrants might get themselves killed in a lot of different ways, but the four played it safe. To someone from a warm land it might seem silly to rely solely on geothermal generators, but they have steady power output and don't need batteries. Batteries cause fires, and no one wants to be stuck between 500F and -150F.

Then came the third year, known notoriously as the year of three raids. Legions of pirates came during the peak of summer, and didn't freeze. They mined through the first hill and breached the interior walls. Fierce hallway fighting eventually won the day, and while the injuries were severe, Mayfield kept everyone alive. Then came the mechanoid drop pods. Being machine, not man, they refused to freeze in the cold, and threatened to cut the external power supplies. A tough decision was made and the whole colony sallied forth into the bitter frost. Three scythers circled around the colony, but were isolated from one another and targeted individually.

Two of them died without much fuss. Some colonists darted out into the chill, fired potshots, and returned to the warmth. But the third had to be hunted down. In the melee, the scyther cut Stella's leg clean off. Others sustained injuries. Despite the damage to his own body, Fox managed to drag Stella to the cryochamber while Mayfield treated other colonists.

Trade ships were rare, and silver was even more so. Mayfield patched everyone up, but the colony couldn't scratch together enough to get Stella a bionic leg. Instead, she was unfrozen and a pegleg was temporarily installed. Fox promised her that he would get her a good replacement, but she didn't seem to mind. Her mobility limited, she spent most of her time indoors with her friends, Fox most of all.

But then came the devastating third raid. Pirates breached the prison wing, and heat was rapidly draining from the colony. They had to be repulsed, but refused to budge. A disastrous charge resulted in the deaths of a few migrants, and the raiders were repelled. But at great cost. The pirates carried off a wounded Mayfield.

The four were now the three, and Fox tried to fill Mayfield's shoes. But he just couldn't. The colony walls were shattered, and Stella, the great builder, couldn't hobble through the snow. Painstakingly it was rebuilt, but was never the same. The winter came and the colonists sat around, drinking and playing chess. But Mayfield's human leather chair remained empty.

Around Christmas something fell from the sky. A ship. Or a piece of one. It made everyone anxious for no real reason. A vote was held, and it was decided to investigate the thing further. A fast scout was sent out to get a good look at the craft, and suddenly mechanoids emerged. Not only were there scythers, who took Stella's leg, but also centipedes, armed with nasty chainguns and launchers. They killed the scout with ruthless efficiency.

The exterior doors were sealed, and the colony placed on alert. Attack, it was believed, was imminent. But it never came. The mechanoids sat in their snow, content to walk the perimeter of their ruined vessel.

Then the psychic field became worse. Callahan, an emotionally unstable artist, would wander the halls and not respond to anyone talking to him. Everyone could feel the tension, and everyone feared for the worst. Another terrible vote was made, and it was decided to send the whole colony minus Stella, who couldn't really walk through the snow, out into the worst of winter to destroy the infernal machines.

Three colonists went through a mountain path behind the mechanoids to cause a diversion while Callahan and Xavier took up sniping positions, hoping to destroy the ship before the machines could retaliate. Fox remained off to the side, ready to rescue injured parties, a tribute to Mayfield's memory. But the distraction party strayed too close to the mechanoid encampment, and were instantly blown to pieces. At the critical moment, the psychic field became utterly unbearable. Callahan, always a little melancholy, suddenly snapped under the psychic pressure and tackled Xavier. The distraction party obliterated, the Mechanoids turned to Callahan and Xavier, mowing both of them down as they wrestled on the ground.

Fox could only watch in horror, and fled the scene. He trudged back against bitter snow, the psychic field like ringing in his ears. But in his mind he remained focused. He thought only of seeing Stella again. With great effort he opened the blast doors, and returned to the warmth. He looked for his only surviving comrade to tell her the bad news.

She was sitting in Mayfield's chair, watching static on the television. She heard Fox come in, and turned towards him. Her mind was unhinged by the psychic droning. Hobbling faster than she ever had, she attacked Fox, and he could only recourse to slashing at her with a knife. Fox ultimately prevailed in the struggle, but saw his friend, no, the woman he loved on the ground, bleeding to death.

Fox was not Mayfield. He would never be. He knew nothing about medicine or leadership or anything that made Mayfield such an inspiration. He could not help her the way Mayfield could. Fox knew how to research. Fox knew how to sew parkas. But most of all, Fox knew that he loved Stella.

So he turned off all the lights. He turned off the primary heaters. He turned off the television and the crafting stations. Fox turned off the prison wing turrets, and he turned off the hydroponics tables. All of the power coming from the geothermals was now routed straight to the emergency bunker and cryochamber room. So long as at least one generator survived, the bunker would remain operational, with heating and defensive turrets.

Fox picked Stella up and put her in the same cryochamber that he had put her in so long ago. Fox sealed all the doors, thanked Mayfield for his foresight, and Xavier for his sacrifice, and laid down in his own cryochamber. Perhaps one day other crash survivors will find Novgulag and breach the walls. Perhaps one day the mechanoids would leave and the cyrochambers would be opened. Fox just hoped that he would fulfill his promise to Stella. Fox just wanted to get her a good bionic leg.

Link to the game : http://rimworldgame.com/

Subreddit: http://reddit.com/r/rimworld for the game and https://www.reddit.com/r/TalesFromRimWorld for stories.

It's insanely fun and difficult. Thankfully there are a lot of micromanagement ideas added to help with the (relatively) dumb colonist AI, e.g. drawing "areas" on the map only indoors and then restricting them to those in the event of toxic fallout etc. Also if people have the Nightowl trait you can set their 24 hour schedule to sleep in the daytime so they don't get that -mood penalty.

You definitely get attached to your little idiot colonists and, now, their pets though. Had a dog catch on fire trying to rescue a colonist who went down while firefighting but then everything around the pup went up in flames and he was lost. Almost cried tbh.

:lol: I hate every colonist. Hate them all. Every time. I don't think I've ever liked one.

There's a cool mod called 'Plan Carefully' where you can design your initial colonists. I've had some pretty cool ones.

I just can't survive in the arctic environments, everyone snaps and goes mad.

The breadth of the game is just great too. Bought five elephants off a trader. Trained them up then hauled the map clear of rocks/metal pieces in ten minutes flat then turned them into meals for a year. Money well spent. 

:lol: I hate every colonist. Hate them all. Every time. I don't think I've ever liked one.

I'll take anyone :lol: Lum Oaf, 12 in mining, 0 in everything else? Great. Here's a pickaxe and a mountain, go hog wild. You have a job for life with me.

Are you picky with your starting colonists?

I'm going to create an horrific arctic base of terror next I think, with the colonists being cannibals. They'll feast on nothing but the flesh and bones of raiders and refugees, unless they are cannibals themselves.

Yes, this is all coming together.

My only condition is I absolutely won't put up with 3 colonists incapable of 'dumb labor'. I'll take whatever I get for the first two but will reroll the third if the first two have it.

Kind of sucks when there's no specialty shooter/doctor at the start but someone passable will usually join or be captured/converted in a failed raid before too long.

My cannibal colony is going well. They've taken a battered over the last two seasons but the 5 of them have held on strong. Food isn't an issue as I've bored into a mountain and set up a killbox for any raid parties. My colonists sniper off any fast movers and feast on the remains. Any prisoners are stripped and their organs harvested for the black market.

It's a bit too easy actually. Much more challenging if you don't eat humans it seems. Also infestations are far too difficult to deal with.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just started a new game as a tribe with a custom scenario. First day went great; nice starting location, got everything set up really quickly, all going well. Second day, accidentally dug into ancient ruins inhabited by a scyther and a centipede. Tribe exterminated before breakfast. Welcome back to Rimworld.

I had a great colony going and then we got attacked by a rabid pack of boomrats. My colonists hid indoors for days hoping they'd go away but then got driven mad by hunger. Those that went outside looking for food were savaged by the rats and ended up in bed with infections, including my doctors and most eventually died in bed due to lack of medical care. The final cherry on the cake was when the colony's pet raccoon went crazy after his owner died and it wiped out my remaining badly injured colonists.

Cheers Snowflake.

eats time like nothing else :lol: Even more than Civ V I find.

My only wish is that I didn't have to micro-manage people out of the line of fire of hunters/people killing aliens/etc. so many headshotted colonists. so dumb.

eats time like nothing else :lol: Even more than Civ V I find.

My only wish is that I didn't have to micro-manage people out of the line of fire of hunters/people killing aliens/etc. so many headshotted colonists. so dumb.

In the latest build you can configure them to automatically flee/do nothing/attack if they see enemies