Newcastle United 3-0 Swansea City - Post-match delight from p.20

Disco

Not a great performance, but hopefully that's a confidence-booster.

We got that vital first goal, and we should have then been able to hit them on the break. Trouble is, whenever we had a turnover, we weren't technically good enough, or maybe composed enough, to take advantage. We just gave it away. So I'm not surprised about the 34% possession stat.

It changed when Mitrovic and Perez came on. I understand the point that Cisse is more mobile than Mitrovic, but the guy doesn't play with his brain and hasn't much physical presence.

There's some hope left because looking at the remaining fixtures Villa are down and Palace are safe, so they won't be busting a gut. Hopefully, Spurs will have lost out to Leicester but secured a CL place, so will have nothing to play for. City are more interested in the Champions League. The only one that looks doomed is the Scousers away.

Those two further goals are almost as important as the win itself. Everyone knows we're lacking in character and quality but by all accounts (and this includes when McClaren was in charge) there's a staggering drop in confidence between training and matches. Getting a result like that could do wonders for us.

Those two further goals are almost as important as the win itself. Everyone knows we're lacking in character and quality but by all accounts (and this includes when McClaren was in charge) there's a staggering drop in confidence between training and matches. Getting a result like that could do wonders for us.

:thup:

Was bricking it at 1-0 around 75 minutes, looked like they could've won it never mind got an equaliser.

Good for the goal difference.

could be out the rele zone on tues night. :lol:

The ONLY thing going for us against city are that they're gonna try and protect key players for the CL semi.

As close as we've been to looking like we can get out of it in absolutely ages. It's possible that we can lose against Man City and Liverpool, then beat Palace (Ugh God, I'm not looking forward to that match) and still go ahead of them. Although Sunderland obviously can too and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they beat Arsenal.

Both play Arsenal, so we could really do with them playing at their best

And they have Chelski match today... ah well.

As long as we can keep this half of the squad fit :p

That clean sheet and +3 in goal diff is just as important, only -1 behind Norwich now.

As close as we've been to looking like we can get out of it in absolutely ages. It's possible that we can lose against Man City and Liverpool, then beat Palace (Ugh God, I'm not looking forward to that match) and still go ahead of them. Although Sunderland obviously can too and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they beat Arsenal.

Both play Arsenal, so we could really do with them playing at their best

Arsenal are a funny team, I think they play better when there's no pressure to win. They can do all their exhibition stuff and it might actually free them up to play the football they prefer to play rather than choke like they usually do when they are chasing the title.

We only had 34% possession.

Atletico won with 23% possession the other day.

You must have missed my reply: -

We only had 34% possession.

Ahhhh shit, does that affect the result?

Nope. Just proves it means nothing even though McClaren wanted us to keep the ball all the time. Leicester have done alright always having the lower possession stats.

Wish they'd done that all season. Bar a 10 minte spell I thought we played very well, especially allowing Cork and their centre backs the ball and not allowing Sigurdsson any room.

Thought Lascelles was great, although that Paloschi was terrible

The sort of performance I expected Rafa to help us grind out. Was always going to take a few games to sort out, but the hope was we picked up a win or two riding on the wave of his appointment. Just such a shame we forfeited the Stoke and Bournemouth games - he could have had almost another month to work with the side

Can anyone confirm if Townsends corner went out of play and back in for the 1st goal??

Everyone around me thought so and was expecting a flag.

Assume not since we have goal line technology now. Or is that only covering the width of the goal?