Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest chopey

After a really good start to the window things seem to have ground to a halt, I just hope Rafa is not getting as fustrated as us. When he did his radio Newcastle interview Mick Lowes asked him if he would still be looking for players right up till August 31st and he snapped back that he wants the squad sorted long before then.

I said it back when we were first linked with him, but I'd seriously 100% take Crouch. We are severely lacking in the striking department, he'll bag a decent number of goals, won't stifle the development of Mitro too much, and most importantly, he'd bring us some invaluable experience and character. We sorely need that character in my opinion.

:thup: I'd take Crouch any day of the week. He  has experience and he's a type of player that we need. We have three pacey strikers but only one that can win headers in Mitro. Need to have more options up top and Crouch would be perfect to play whenever Mitro is suspended.

Crouch hasn't scored a league goal for 15 months.

To be fair, he's probably hardly played in that time....

True, but the point is we're after a proven goalscorer. Yes our squad needs more physical presence up front, but a proven ability to get goals is the most important criteria we're looking at.

We should therefore stay well away from a 35 year old who hasn't scored for 15 months and has only managed 44 league goals in the last 7 seasons going back all the way to the time we were last relegated. That's a striker with an average of about 6 goals a season. We can only put 11 players on the pitch, and it's not like we have goalscorers elsewhere in the team. It only makes any sense if we were to bring in two strikers then Crouch is willing to be 3rd or 4th choice behind the new guy, Mitro and Gayle. Given Rafa often plays with one up front, that seems pretty unlikely.

After a really good start to the window things seem to have ground to a halt, I just hope Rafa is not getting as fustrated as us. When he did his radio Newcastle interview Mick Lowes asked him if he would still be looking for players right up till August 31st and he snapped back that he wants the squad sorted long before then.

Everyone does, but as long as the window is open teams will be making deals that force other clubs to sell and some to wait for better offers.

Crouch hasn't scored a league goal for 15 months.

To be fair, he's probably hardly played in that time....

True, but the point is we're after a proven goalscorer. Yes our squad needs more physical presence up front, but a proven ability to get goals is the most important criteria we're looking at.

We should therefore stay well away from a 35 year old who hasn't scored for 15 months and has only managed 44 league goals in the last 7 seasons going back all the way to the time we were last relegated. That's a striker with an average of about 6 goals a season. We can only put 11 players on the pitch, and it's not like we have goalscorers elsewhere in the team. It only makes any sense if we were to bring in two strikers then Crouch is willing to be 3rd or 4th choice behind the new guy, Mitro and Gayle. Given Rafa often plays with one up front, that seems pretty unlikely.

:thup:

unfortunately we are not in a position to pick and choose. we basically need to get the best we can attract.

theres a lot more money floating about and the few quality players who would play in the championship or whose clubs would let go to us are limited.

dont really want crouch but needs must.

Completely against getting more players in if they are going to be like Hanley and Clark, either get proper quality players in or none.

Completely agree with this tbh sick of getting championship standard player's

Completely against getting more players in if they are going to be like Hanley and Clark, either get proper quality players in or none.

Aye, because Premier League players are lining up to be our third/fourth choice centre back or our second/third choice striker. We're a Championship club at the moment. Come December when Mbemba's pulled his hamstring and Lascelles is suspended we'll be pretty thankful to be able to fall back on Hanley and Clark as our backup centre backs to be honest. I'm all for being ambitious but let's not get ridiculous.

Aye, because Premier League players are lining up to be our third/fourth choice centre back or our second/third choice striker. We're a Championship club at the moment. Come December when Mbemba's pulled his hamstring and Lascelles is suspended we'll be pretty thankful to be able to fall back on Hanley and Clark as our backup centre backs to be honest. I'm all for being ambitious but let's not get ridiculous.

The problem is that we should have spent the 10m we spent on Hanley and Clark on a first team centre back and made Lascellas third choice

We need more goals from midfield, last time we had Nolan, Guthrie, Raylor, Barton etc who could get the odd one. Richie's a great addition & Diame should add some. Hopefully aarons will step up, we're a bit stuck then though. De Jong perhaps, another would help.

Id be suprised if we went for another striker

The problem is that we should have spent the 10m we spent on Hanley and Clark on a first team centre back and made Lascellas third choice

Lascelles was superb end of last season enough to become captain which near everyone agreed with, this hindsight fickle switching of ideas is silly man. Have belief in players, he was a cut above at prem level for a period under rafa.

So in the above scenario I outlined (two of our centre backs being out at some point in the season - not an entirely unlikely prospect) who is playing alongside our other remaining fit centre back? And how many centre backs worth £10m are sitting around this summer waiting for an offer from us? We love the club so it sometimes blinds us but I doubt there are many first class centre backs who want to drop down a division.

We need more goals from midfield, last time we had Nolan, Guthrie, Raylor, Barton etc who could get the odd one. Richie's a great addition & Diame should add some. Hopefully aarons will step up, we're a bit stuck then though. De Jong perhaps, another would help.

we had nolan, the end.

pretty sure barton only got 1 that season (free kick i think?) and i'd back diame to outscore both guthrie and raylor, and ritchie to outscore them all.

lets not pretend we had plenty of goals from midfield last time, nolan aside, we really didn't.

We need to create chances for that to happen tbh.

We need to create chances for that to happen tbh.

We need players who can string a few passes together from defence through midfield for that to happen.