Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yup and they also say that he played as an attacking mid against us but he was definitely in a midfield 2 with McDonald and Johansen ahead of both of them.

I sound like a broken record saying in every thread that Johansen is the player that plays in the number 10 position for Fulham not Cairney

Yup and they also say that he played as an attacking mid against us but he was definitely in a midfield 2 with McDonald and Johansen ahead of both of them

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39162732

Looking at the lineup, that seem to be the case tbf

Anyway if we signed him and McCarthy, I think Rafa would play Cairney as a 10

The fact the article specifically mentions he wants to pair him with McCarthy specifically states Rafa doesn't see him as an AM either.

I know he was great in the championship before his suspension, but i wouldn't be surprised if Rafa wants more options at CM tbh. Should be remembered that Shelvey wasn't a starter in the PL under him.

That's not to say he's going to get rid, bench or anything just more competition for places. I know it's a foreign concept for many of us, but if we want to do well in the PL, it's going to be necessary.

I suspect the AM target hasn't even been linked yet.

Shelvey wasn't set to be a starter in the Championship either tbf.

At the minute I wouldn't trust anything we hear in the papers, they pretty much never guess our transfers this far in advance iirc. I don't think we'll be spending £30m+ on 2 central midfielders personally.

Marca also claiming we are looking at activating Pires' release clause - http://www.marca.com/futbol/leganes/2017/05/21/5921e41c268e3e4c538b460a.html

Newcastle, coached by Rafa Benítez and recently promoted to the Premiere League, is considering the possibility of paying the termination clause of Gabriel Pires. The Brazilian was already the object of desire of the magpies in the month of January and only the fact that the English set was in the Championship stopped the operation. Gabriel has been one of the key players this season in the permanence of Leganés. He has played 30 matches and scored 5 goals. Among others, somewhat from the center of the field before the Betis. He also scored against Barcelona and Real Madrid. And gave Alex Szymanowski the assistance that led to the goal of the stay in San Mamés. The operation, if closed, is estimated to be between 6 and 7 million euros.

Marca also claiming we are looking at activating Pires' release clause - http://www.marca.com/futbol/leganes/2017/05/21/5921e41c268e3e4c538b460a.html

Newcastle, coached by Rafa Benítez and recently promoted to the Premiere League, is considering the possibility of paying the termination clause of Gabriel Pires. The Brazilian was already the object of desire of the magpies in the month of January and only the fact that the English set was in the Championship stopped the operation. Gabriel has been one of the key players this season in the permanence of Leganés. He has played 30 matches and scored 5 goals. Among others, somewhat from the center of the field before the Betis. He also scored against Barcelona and Real Madrid. And gave Alex Szymanowski the assistance that led to the goal of the stay in San Mamés. The operation, if closed, is estimated to be between 6 and 7 million euros.

Sporting a very dodgy tache in a recent article. Would surely be just a squad filler.