Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder  3m3 minutes ago

Rafa on transfers: "We still have time, names and targets. We are trying to do business. It also depends on agents and prices." #nufc

Surprised to hear Rafa toeing this line. As more money pisses in to the Premiership then prices everywhere will inflate. If promotion first time is the priority I'm sure dropping a few extra million here or there is well worth it over missing out on key players. I sure know another year in the Championship will cost us more.

Its how it should be. We pay what we feel a player is worth and if we can't reach agreement with the other club then we don't do a deal.

So you would be happy to see out the rest of this season with the squad we have right now and chance it instead of over spending? Seems a bit mental really. Any over spending will be a fraction of what it would cost to fail at promotion first time round.

He's just saying what every manager says man, calm doon. We'll sign players.

Rafa on transfers: "We still have time, names and targets. We are trying to do business. It also depends on agents and prices." #nufc

Surprised to hear Rafa toeing this line. As more money pisses in to the Premiership then prices everywhere will inflate. If promotion first time is the priority I'm sure dropping a few extra million here or there is well worth it over missing out on key players. I sure know another year in the Championship will cost us more.

Its how it should be. We pay what we feel a player is worth and if we can't reach agreement with the other club then we don't do a deal.

So you would be happy to see out the rest of this season with the squad we have right now and chance it instead of over spending? Seems a bit mental really. Any over spending will be a fraction of what it would cost to fail at promotion first time round.

In reality though no one just hands over any transfer fee or condition asked by agents. Rafa's not saying we refuse to negotiate, just there'll be a fair price and one where you have to walk away. It's how any club is operated.

This window we've either paid around fair prices or better than that. To get the last few key positions filled I could live with a few million quid slipping on each reaming one as long as they're the right players. If the rumors of us seeking £25m+ for Sissoko is true then we are hardly playing but the rules we are setting for our own signings.

He's just saying what every manager says man, calm doon. We'll sign players.

I'm calm about it, just a surprise to hear it. It was the trademark saying for years at this club as we signed next to nobody. As a said in the post straight after my original one, I can understand Rafa getting frustrated with the inflated market.

I think there will be shitloads of deals getting done on deadline day

Definitely.  No emergency window anymore. Players who are out of favour will hang on to the last day or so to see which clubs come in for them. They'll then go to the best option. Clubs will lower their demands to get unwanted players out so they aren't stuck with them.

Two or three is slightly worrying considering he is alluding to two wingers and has already stated he wants two wore strikers and a left back. Plus needing another cm with Sissoko, tiote, saviet leaving. 

If it's two or three is am thinking LB is now not a priority and he is happy with dummett, haidara returning and gamez/anita/clarke/colback as cover. 

A winger, versatile AM/number 10/winger and out and out striker would be much choice. Would still like a LB though.

Left back, 2 wingers and a striker are what we really need. A CM would also be good but not an absolute necessity, IMO. Good wingers and strikers will see you cutting through most sides in this division. Especially when Benitez likes his wide midfielders to come inside and act as pushed up CMs.

In reality though no one just hands over any transfer fee or condition asked by agents. Rafa's not saying we refuse to negotiate, just there'll be a fair price and one where you have to walk away. It's how any club is operated.

This window we've either paid around fair prices or better than that. To get the last few key positions filled I could live with a few million quid slipping on each reaming one as long as they're the right players. If the rumors of us seeking £25m+ for Sissoko is true then we are hardly playing but the rules we are setting for our own signings.

I'm pretty sure we'll get the players in we need, just Rafa doesn't strike me as a  fool when it comes to doing deals. He made sure he had his own contract with the club in his favour before committing. If he really wants a player we'll get him IMO.

I'm pretty sure we'll get the players in we need, just Rafa doesn't strike me as a  fool when it comes to doing deals. He made sure he had his own contract with the club in his favour before committing. If he really wants a player we'll get him IMO.

:thup:

You can kill a fly easily with a 50p fly swatter, and you can easily kill a fly with a £500 electric bug zapper. If we don't have to spend £xm to get promoted, then why should we? Just because we have not spent much previous seasons? :lol: Edit: As said above, money spending is a non-issue for me as Benitez makes the calls now. If a player is too expensive in his mind, then he is. Benitez having the full responsibility forces him to have a long term plan as well, and that includes making sure there are funds availbale for extensive upgrading of the squad when we return to the premier league.

The squad and manager/coaching set up as it is today is more than sufficient for automatic promotion imo. Can't fathom why so many on here are desperate to get 4+ new player in before the window closes.

You can kill a fly easily with a 50p fly swatter, and you can easily kill a fly with a £500 electric bug zapper. If we don't have to spend £xm to get promoted, then why should we? Just because we have not spent much previous seasons? :lol: Edit: As said above, money spending is a non-issue for me as Benitez makes the calls now. If a player is too expensive in his mind, then he is. Benitez having the full responsibility forces him to have a long term plan as well, and that includes making sure there are funds availbale for extensive upgrading of the squad when we return to the premier league.

The squad and manager/coaching set up as it is today is more than sufficient for automatic promotion imo. Can't fathom why so many on here are desperate to get 4+ new player in before the window closes.

Strawman argument man. All I've suggested is that I think it would be OK to let the purse strings stretch with getting the final peices of the puzzle together in this window. The reason? Because missing out on them could risk promotion and that is many times more expensive than a little over spend now.

Let's pack the Strawman away and stop over dramatising this.

Strawman argument man. All I've suggested is that I think it would be OK to let the purse strings stretch with getting the final peices of the puzzle together in this window. The reason? Because missing out on them could risk promotion and that is many times more expensive than a little over spend now.

However, splashing millions on players for the sake of it wont guarantee us promotion either!

Have no issue with moving on if clubs/agents are trying to pull our pants down for a player, just because they think we have big money to spend. Also, if he spends too big this window, may mean he has nowt left for January when we might need to reinforcements.

Don't think I've heard the term straw man used as often as on here, it's weird as anything.

It's because the internet seems to elicit them.

Also I think people just want to come over as clever rather than responding to points like a normal person.

However, splashing millions on players for the sake of it wont guarantee us promotion either!

Have no issue with moving on if clubs/agents are trying to pull our pants down for a player, just because they think we have big money to spend. Also, if he spends too big this window, may mean he has nowt left for January when we might need to reinforcements.

Again taking things to the extreme.  :lol:

I'm not advocating allowing ourselves to have our pants pulled down on transfers, but we shouldn't be too rigid if it results in us missing out on key positions we need filled.

Of course money doesn't guarantee you promotion. Never claimed that it does. But having a balanced squad of the right quality certainly helps.

Thank you for making me google what the heck a strawman argument is. Learnt something new today :)

Still don't agree with you because:

1. I don't see much risk of not getting promoted as it is

2. I trust Benitez to set the correct boundaries between what stretching it "a bit" is and "to severely affect our funds for next season"

Don't think I've heard the term straw man used as often as on here, it's weird as anything.

Also I think people just want to come over as clever rather than responding to points like a normal person.

That's the point of a straw man though. Answer different point that's out of context with the original one. Why should I bite against points that are over the top and not in same context as mine?

I agree with not spending silly money for sake of it or going public that we want blow big bucks. I also never said spending guarantees promotion. I never advocated those specific things to that extent so it feels like cheap shots over reasonable debate. They seem over the top against what I was saying.

Why am I even biting? :lol:

Thank you for making me google what the heck a strawman argument is. Learnt something new today :)

Still don't agree with you because:

1. I don't see much risk of not getting promoted as it is

2. I trust Benitez to set the correct boundaries between what stretching it "a bit" is and "to severely affect our funds for next season"

:thup:

Fair enough man, I just don't want a couple million over spend get in the way of completing us getting a final balanced squad. Nerves getting to me as we approach end for the window.

:lol: