Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The main thing with goalkeepers is that they don't make silly mistakes. I can handle my keepers not making world class saves but when they drop clangers or flap around at corners it's unforgivable.

Didn't Rob Lee go off the boil in a big way too?

most did...the fixtures were mental for us as well that season; in hindsight that 12 point lead was very misleading given who we'd played (and where) and who we had to play (and where)

We also had injuries to Howey and Albert which didn't help iirc?

schmeichel waa the difference in 95/96. Other big factors were Phil Neville crocking Gillespie away at Man u and we lost balance of the team. Signing David Batty slowed the play down too much

I've always said this.  If we'd had a world class goalkeeper that season we'd have won the league.  I loved Pav but he was nowhere near Schmeichel's level and Hislop didn't justify his price tag (which was high for a keeper at the time IIRC).

Remember him when we lost 1-0 to that Cantona goal. We battered his goals and he saved everything. Still maintain if we didn't lose that match we would have won the title comfortably :(

Remember him when we lost 1-0 to that Cantona goal. We battered his goals and he saved everything. Still maintain if we didn't lose that match we would have won the title comfortably :(

He was incredible that game.  Not just that though, it seemed like every week he was making last-minute saves to secure the points for them.  Cantona got all the credit but Schmeichel was probably more influential overall.  The bastard!  :knuppel2:

1-0, Cantona :anguish:

We would have gone on to dominate English, European and World football had we won that game.

Or something.

2002 if Shearer had answered Sven's call, I reckon we'd have won the World Cup, having him leading the line as the spearhead even no longer as captain, with us just getting back in the Champions League, I reckon we'd have taken off, particular back in the Asian market again.

He was incredible that game.  Not just that though, it seemed like every week he was making last-minute saves to secure the points for them.  Cantona got all the credit but Schmeichel was probably more influential overall.  The bastard!  :knuppel2:

This all day long. Schmeical was their most important player that season, and in particular in the final third. He was incredible.

We dominated them in their 0-1 win. We were much the better side.

If we'd have got a draw there, I think we win the league.

most did...the fixtures were mental for us as well that season; in hindsight that 12 point lead was very misleading given who we'd played (and where) and who we had to play (and where)

Wasn't it only 12 points overnight or something? Twelve points was the "headline" number, but it was only really nine on games played (from memory).

Wasn't it only 12 points overnight or something? Twelve points was the "headline" number, but it was only really nine on games played (from memory).

it certainly wasn't very long yeah, until they played their game in hand whenever that was

Sure Man Utd were 8 points clear with 6 games to play when Man City won it on the last day.

They were double digit points clear when Arsenal won it when Overmars was there as well iirc.

It's happened multiple times yet for some reason we are the ones that constantly get mentioned.

Sure Man Utd were 8 points clear with 6 games to play when Man City won it on the last day.

They were double digit points clear when Arsenal won it when Overmars was there as well iirc.

It's happened multiple times yet for some reason we are the ones that constantly get mentioned.

because we're the only ones outside the usual clubs that's come so close and failed, everyone else has multiple titles

because we're the only ones outside the usual clubs that's come so close and failed, everyone else has multiple titles

I've mentioned this a few times. We are far from the worst bottle jobs yet only ones mentioned in the media as it suites their agenda. They make a big thing of the Fergie mind games yet the truth is after KK's outburst he went into the changing room and said he'd just had a mare and everyone laughed at it. Again that doesn't make such a great story so they just go with what they want.

Guest firetotheworks

It was 12 clear in January nothing is ever said about the 13 point lead  that Man United had over Arsenal and lost the league a few years later.....which was later in the season than ours

I think it's just that we were the first in the Premier League era and in hindsight it was all or nothing whereas Arsenal, Man United and Liverpool still won other stuff. I'd argue that it's because of just how ridiculously head and shoulders above everyone else we were at the start of the season as well.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think it was a combination of factors that contributed to us not winning the league that season and not one thing. Schmeichel and Cantona's form, Man Utd's 'easier' run in and their own form, the poor form from key players in our own team and collectively I think everyone shat themselves and kind of bottled it as well. Fans too.

Unlike others I think Batty and Asprilla improved us, but others went off the boil. We would have been even stronger if Ferdinand was scoring more and if Beardsley and Lee's form didn't dip.

Remove Schmeichel that fateful day and we do to Man Utd what we did to them in the same fixture the season after and we go onto win the League and win more honours.

That didn't happen of course. Had KK stayed, however, I think we would have won the league eventually and maybe would have done so at some point if we replace KK with Sir Bobby and not Dalglish.

As ever at Newcastle though poor managerial decisions or bad timing have had a huge and devastating impact on the club's fortunes.

That season probably sums up our club perfectly.

What a season it was though, arguably the best in the history of the PL.

That entire era ruined me. Growing up as a kid and all you knew about football and Newcastle was Keegan's arrival turning things around sparking a run of excitement. This is the norm..!

Guest Howaythetoon

KK after the 4-3 defeat to Liverpool  :love:

He was so upbeat and he said that's the way we play and that won't ever change while he's the manager when asked if he should have been more defensive. Pure football, pure entertainment and pure passion.

As a club we will never be as good as that again, that was us at our very very best, that was the real Newcastle United and that era will never be eclipsed, even if we win things.

Guest Howaythetoon

That whole era was special for me because I was 12 in '93 and by the time we signed Shearer I was a teenager and totally in love with all things football and in such an innocent way as well because I was a kid still. I was obsessed with all things NUFC and when we sold Cole it really hurt, to the point I cried and it took me ages to get over it. That was even worse when KK left, I literally thought well that's it, no more NUFC. Back to the lower divisions etc.

That team he built and the club we were, very United with people in the club there to make us the best in every aspect is what it should always be abut. Sporting success, sporting enjoyment. Not twitter and facebook, or instagram and players having commercial deals and all that nonsense that pervades the sport at every turn. Just pure football.

KK made that happen, he drove it all and turned us into the best team in the land. Man Utd won the league, but we were the better team, played the best football and were the club I wanted to support taking away I'm a Geordie. If I wasn't a Geordie I'd pick that Newcastle United club and team over Man Utd any day of the week. That's how I wanted my team to play, my club to act, my players to be and my manager to be.

Special special days and for those of us fortunate to have lived it be as kids or adults, we were so so lucky.

If I took my kids to the game today they will never feel for NUFC or the game the way I did back in the early 90s because its changed too much. Its not football these days, its akin to a trip to the cinema. Turn up, pay your money, eat your hot dog, sit down, watch the show and get up and leave at the end. Good or bad.