Group B - Wales (Q), England (Q), Slovakia (Q), Russia

Wullie

We're in trouble now like. Lose to Wales which you just know will happen and then its hopefully beat Slovakia and finish on 4pts. Only 2 3rd place teams go out so i guess 4 should be enough but you just dont know.

Worryinf that we made so many chances and the only goal we scored was a free kick. Some of th final balls were terrible.

Hodgson is fucking useless as well, how he is still here afer the world cup performance is a joke in itself

Are we going to qualify then? Will 4pts be enough? Im working om the proviso we lose to Wales and beat Slovakia. Been going through the groups to see the 2 3rd place teams that go out. Romania/Switzerland maybe and hopefully Hungary or Iceland to only get say 3pts. Going to be tight. If we do end up scraping out though we"ll obviously go out in the last 16 so i guess its pointless really.

If Kane plays like that again next match and there's only room for one forward then he needs dropped for Vardy or Sturridge. Utterly perplexed re Vardy, thought he'd be on after an hour at worst, he's the one player in the squad who is walking on air at the minute yet with something to prove to the world and he's sat on the bench.

Tbf looking at the attacking options. Everyone offers something different. I can see the logic of not bringing Townsend if you're taking Sterling. Sterling despite being awful for months was always going if fit.

I'm not really sure why. He was up against the a defence that couldn't cope with his pace for the first 45 mins yet produced nothing of substance. He's done exactly the same for Man City all season. Someone mentioned earlier that we have turned out the shit version of Arsenal, and I think that is how this team has been put together. A bunch of fashionable names put together with no coherent strategy how to get a result.

We played some lovely attacking football but the reality is:

Lallana had a good chance, 5 goals last year, cut it wide.

Sterling went through on goal, 6 goals last year, got tackled by the last man.

Sterling had a ball drop with only him & kane in the area, waited for it & lost the opportunity.

Rose smashed a ball across, no one ran bar Alli.

Our best chance bar the goal?

Wayne Rooney shooting from outside the area.

The attacking instinct needed to finish chances it what makes the margins. A cruyff turn in the box to get it back to 2-1 v Germany. A backheel from a near post run later. These are the margins Sterling & Lallana do not have.

Kane has it, Vardy has it, Rooney has it thats why he came closest to scoring?

There is no point playing one upfront. Rooney tonight w Vardy & Kane running up top and you're looking at chances galore.

Townsend would have been a perfect option to replace Sterling.  But oh no, we had to take Rashford, who wont see a single minute of action; Barkley, who has just had a rubbish season and is not proven at international level; and the poster boy of years gone by, Rooney.  Roy just casually ignored a) the form Townsend finished the season in and b) his skill set, which the players he has selected lack.

fwiw, I reckon a team the team that started tonight minus one of Lallana or Sterling with Townsend instead would have won with ease.  Just cos neither Sterling nor Lallana are a direct goal threat, but Townsend is and Russia would have had to have set up to defend that.  An extra dimension we lacked by playing two utter Hlebs on our wings.

I thought we did OK and deserved to win the game, but when you don't take your chances....... Rooney started well, then disappeared - Sterling was hotching. Danny Rose probably MoM for me and my old man. Fed up of ITV's way OTT praise of England and Rooney though, especially. Don't believe the hype!

All it takes is a couple of those telegraphed slow loopy passes out to the right for Rooney to have put in a 'midfield masterclass'

They're fecking impossible to control as well. He never passes it on the bloody ground. Takes all pace out of the game and relies on Walker doing something brilliant.

Hodgson is an absolute wet-arse in the same mould as McClaren. Those subs today were horrendous. If he's taken Rashford to gain 'experience' at the expense of Townsend then he's an absolute buffoon.

Kane did not have a single touch in the opposition box against Russia.

Yet the odd person on here thought he shouldn't be subbed. I think he's great but he looked fucking awful last night. Just wasn't ready for it.

Hodgson is an absolute wet-arse in the same mould as McClaren. Those subs today were horrendous. If he's taken Rashford to gain 'experience' at the expense of Townsend then he's an absolute buffoon.

Seemed a classic Pardew mistake to me. Selection worked well, team were on top and playing well, go a goal up let's close it out and make some 'safe' subs. Concede.

When has closing out games ever remotely been a strength of English teams, wish one of these managers would just cotton on that we can't fucking do it.

When the teams were lining up in the tunnel before the game, Kane looked petrified. Normally, he seems a very relaxed, confident lad, eager to get involved and not afraid to throw his weight about. We didn't see any of that.

Gary Neville was quoted as saying the most nervous he felt as a player was playing for England for the first time in a tournament game. There's a psychologist attached to the squad, and he needs to do some work on Kane.

I'd give him another chance, but if the same thing happens, I'd sub him for Vardy.

But I think really if that equaliser hadn't gone in, we'd all be saying how promising the performance was, instead of this doom and gloom.

You'll be fine, this group phase is pretty ridiculous, even finishing 3rd you have a good chance of going to the knockouts. And there's just no way you'll finish last :lol:

I enjoyed watching England play, which is a pretty novel feeling. You're usually boring and ponderous. Even if this tournament comes still a bit early, your spine is so young you can expect nice things from this team in the future.

The whole build up to the tournament should have been finding a way of playing two strikers. Eng don't need to play one striker till the face a top 10 side.

Kane behind Vardy should have been what was deployed against an aging and one paced Russian side. Sterling has to be dropped. They think they can't play Kane behind Vardy cause where would Alli play? It was pretty clear to me that Alli isn't quite there yet although he is clearly a huge talent.

We played really well for about 60min and then the subs should have been made. Vardy for a knackered Kane and Sturridge for Sterling with Lallana coming over to the left and Sturridge cutting in from the right. The pitch would have been lengthened by the appearance of sheer pace and Eng would have seen the game out.

Hodgson is too fearful.

He needs to take Kane off set fecking pieces, like. If the lad's nervous then having him deliver one wank corner/FK after another isn't going to help him gain a bit of confidence.

I woke up as pissy as I went to bed, like.