God of War: Ragnarök

Mole_Toonfan

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect I’m half way through this now. The only major gripe I’ve got is the puzzles that involve connecting those pink/purple effects (forgot what it’s called) then setting them on fire. Tedious and I’m shit at it. Convinced I do I the wrong way most of the time. 

I also can’t think of another game that comes even close to the satisfaction you get from the noise of collecting that axe. 

43 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I suspect I’m half way through this now. The only major gripe I’ve got is the puzzles that involve connecting those pink/purple effects (forgot what it’s called) then setting them on fire. Tedious and I’m shit at it. Convinced I do I the wrong way most of the time. 

I also can’t think of another game that comes even close to the satisfaction you get from the noise of collecting that axe. 

One of the things I miss about older games is how much better sound effects generally were. They had much more oomph to them. The sound of collecting coins and rings in Mario and Sonic compared to newer games. The sound of the guns in Doom making them so satisfying to shoot compared to newer FPSes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished main quest. Dome some side missions aswell. Took 40 hours in total. Overall a fantastic game. Story was very good and really heated up towards the end. Combat is excellent. My only gripes are those stupid Signal arrow puzzles, proper did my head in. Pacing wise, could have been a little tighter, but definitely a 9/10 for me.

Edited by samptime29

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this yesterday. Solid 8/10. Maybe I’m being a tad harsh as it was an overall good experience. I do feel the same about it as the Horizon expansion, both sequels played it very safe and I didn’t get the same GOAT feeling like I did after playing both initial releases. Maybe that’s a good thing though as anything too different could have been disastrous. I do feel some of the filler stuff wasn’t necessary though and the game would have been better staying more streamlined like the first. 

Major spoilers:

Spoiler

The first Artreus section was a real wow moment then every time I swapped to him after I mostly hated it - despite it telling a real good side of the story in Asgard. The section with agreboda was painful and lasted forever. 

The Tyr twist was spoiled for me scrolling through my youtube feed and it pissed me off as that section would have landed like a bomb. 

I also think the end game section where everyone split off to get some group on board for Ragnorak would have been a better use of the main quest than most of the stuff you did. Although that seems a tad harsh as it was good overall. 

The combat was the most satisfying part of the game and to the last second it didn’t get boring. 

There seems to be a ton of end game stuff which is great value - although I’ll likely move on. 

Fuck signal arrow puzzles.