God of War

Mole_Toonfan

While you assume complete control of Kratos, you also passively control his son throughout the entire game, and both characters grow and evolve. There’s a single button dedicated to your son, and its use depends on the context. He becomes an active participant in combat, traversal, exploration, and puzzle-solving. In this, the game is about passing knowledge onto your child. At the beginning of your journey, you teach a reluctant child how to fire a bow and hunt. As you progress through the game, that becomes second-nature to the boy, and it’s clear that your knowledge has been passed on.

This bond isn’t the only new, surprising element of God of War. The entire game is presented as a single, uninterrupted shot. Once you’re in, you’re in. No load screens, no cinematics, no fades to black. Kratos and his son’s journey across the world of Norse mythology -- which takes place an undisclosed amount of time past God of War III -- will be told in a wholly singular, and honestly unique manner.

Right from the get-go, it was apparent that this was a very different God of War game. We now view the world from behind Kratos’ shoulders, with the previously-static camera now being controlled using the right stick. This part is important, because the world is rife with hidden paths, secret nooks, and collectables hidden all over the place. During my extended demo, we wandered off the beaten path and discovered a number of crafting resources, pieces of armor, and idols. God of War will feature larger, much more in-depth RPG systems, something Sony will discuss further down the road.

While the E3 demo was a quieter, more character-driven look at the game, Barlog assured me that the series isn’t shrugging off its bombastic, cinematic roots. The reason they didn’t focus the E3 demo on a huge, spectacle-filled set piece is that it's a given that the game will have those. Barlog and Sony Santa Monica have mastered those moments, so with this demo, they wanted to surprise fans and non-fans of the series with the unexpected.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/14/e3-2016-god-of-war-made-me-care-about-the-series-for-the-first-time

Can see it being quite controversial for some but personally i can't wait.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Previews are out for this, they are absolutely gushing over it. ( to the point some are comparing it to The Last of Us) Kind of reminds me of the hype pre release around Horizon, hopefully it will live up to the hype like that did and i see no reason why it won't.

• 4 weeks later...

Early review embargo (tomorrow I think) and Sony publicly stating they're expecting a "significant increase" increase in pre-orders once the reviews hit. Promising stuff.

Previews have been insanely positive, like more than any other PS4 game this gen.

The only games I remember having similar press love before reviews were probably Zelda and Mario tbh.

I wouldn't be surprised if it reviews higher than anything that's come out on the PS4 this generation.

It could be a jewel case with a turd in it and it'd still get several 10/10's

I don't disagree :lol: But the reaction to this has been pretty unprecedented in the media tbh.

I don't even remember Horizon, Bloodborne or Uncharted making the media gush this much, the excitement is incredibly high.

[emoji38] That's what they do all the time, though. They shit hyperbole for clicks.

Not this much which is my point, the only other time I saw it this much was Zelda or Mario.

I'm fully aware of what the media does :lol: But even for them this is pretty unusually high.