Tokyo Paralympics 2020

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Those Gadirova twins must have very special parents man. Frightening how well they speak and handle themselves at 16 years of age. Going to be a huge credit to team GB in the future.

One thing I have noticed across most sports in recent years: the maturity and clarity that youngsters show when interviewed. No way aged 16 could I have spoken so eloquently or been so calm and measured when questioned. A real credit to the youth of today tbh. 

Footballers (in the main) cricketers, athletes, they all seem so well rounded.

(Exceptions to the rules apply obviously! I thought the interview with the young British sprinter lad was horrendous yesterday: from interviewer and interviewee!)

8 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Can someone explain the craic with Christine Mboma and Beatrice Masilingi to me? I'm reading they're banned from events because their testosterone levels are naturally high? The fuck? 

"World Athletics' testosterone rules only apply to events between 400 metres and one mile."

Something about there being inadequate data outside of that range of events to ban them from 100m/200m etc. Not entirely sure what the data are supposed to say though? 

Anyway, they are required to take testosterone reducing drugs to participate in 400m -> 1mile.

Just now, Froggy said:

Is that not mental? I checked their wiki's thinking they'd be born men or something but they seem to be biological females.

According to the IAAF the levels of testosterone they're banning would infer that the person had a "Difference of Sexual Development". Like, the vast majority of women come nowhere near. They're basically saying that these women haven't developed like a 'normal' woman.

Also, “The latest research we have undertaken, and data we have compiled, show that there is a performance advantage in female athletes with DSD over the track distances covered by this rule,” said Dr Stephane Bermon from the IAAF Medical and Science Department.

So they appear to think that these testosterone levels are only helpful between 400m and 1 mile. Now that seems mad to me. Like they're smashing the 400m but at 200m all is good? Makes no sense.

The issue is around female athletes born with intersex conditions. The testosterone level in the average woman tends to fall somewhere between 0.3 and 2.4 nmol/L. Some athletes with intersex conditions have been found to possess much higher levels of testosterone, and after much back and forth, athletics decided to cap testosterone levels at 5 nmol/L for events ranging from the 400 metres to the mile.

Caster Semenya is the obvious test case. She excelled at the 800 metres, so much of the focus around testosterone levels and intersex conditions has fallen on the middle-distance events. Today to compete between 400 metres and the mile, female athletes with naturally high levels of testosterone must reduce their levels artificially and prove themselves over a period of time.

The two Namibian athletes Christine Mboma and Beatrice Masilingi were pulled from the 400 metres owing to high testosterone levels, but have been allowed to compete over 200 metres where the same rules don't apply. Athletics suggests that it doesn't possess the same body of evidence over the shorter distances. It's an ethical quandary, but jarring to see two newcomers storming past some of the best in the world.

23 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Can’t believe the US got beat at baseball. [emoji38] keeping the World Series in-house not working for them these days.

Meh, our team is filled with retirees and minor leaguers. It’d be like England rolling up with a squad of active League One players and Michael Dawson. And it’s the middle of the MLB season.

Japan is always up for baseball, particularly on their home turf.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

11 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Meh, our team is filled with retirees and minor leaguers. It’d be like England rolling up with a squad of active League One players and Michael Dawson. And it’s the middle of the MLB season.

Japan is always up for baseball, particularly on their home turf.

Which is a fucking disgrace.

Just now, Wullie said:

Yeah I was wondering what the selection criteria was for the baseball, is it like football where they all/mostly have to be a certain age or what?

MLB doesn't allow players to participate. So it's players from the feeder teams for MLB teams. So either young shit cunts who maybe will be good one day, or old AF fat cunts riding out contracts.

• Disco changed the title to Tokyo Paralympics 2020