Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

I'm not old enough to remember terracing as an adult so I can't pass any judgement there, but it feels like people are reimagining previous atmospheres at St James.

It's been poor for the majority for as long as I can remember. Mike Ashley royally fucked the club over in more ways than one, and the matchgoing fans being one of them.

Level 7 singing section were too vocal in their protests and were eventually turfed out, for the biggest family section in the league I think!? No mass move was allowed to another section and most people have ended up in areas without like-minded fans.

In the perfect world, 50k people would turn up and sing for 90 mins, but that has never ever been the case in my time supporting nufc.

The sport has changed and peoples outlook on football has changed. I've had mother's telling me off for telling the ref to fuck off man [emoji38]

Trust need to prioritise a ground reshuffle proposal to the club as soon as the summer for me, it's the only way to help push on the atmosphere.

Also, less gimmicks (wor flags aside) and quieter/no announcements or music prior to kick off.

Did enjoy hearing ACDC again mind.

The pre-match stuff is a challenge to get right, I think the announcer needs to keep out of it if possible. People will wave their scarves and it will ripple out from the gallowgate naturally.

"Enjoy the game" has to go, absolute shite.

NE27 is right though, I can't remember a consistently loud atmosphere ever. Sure, when dramatic things are happening on the pitch, but it soon dies down when the game goes quiet. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Might be wrong but think it's maybe an argument for having a massive stadium. Yes, it'll not always be full, and yes, we'll have a lot of the prawn sandwich brigade there, but there'd be enough room to have supportive supporters get together and do their thing too.

At the moment it's a bit of a zero sum game re: who does and doesn't get tickets. So many characters have gone from St James' over the years and can't get back in even if they want to. The comatose ones who drifted along with Mike Ashley are still here, still drifting, and now with added residency rights.

1 minute ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Need to get some drums in or something. Practically a morgue for the majority of the match last night. 

I think we definitely need something to make the songs go more slowly. They just fly by and people can't keep up, so by the second verse everyone gives up.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The pre-match stuff is a challenge to get right, I think the announcer needs to keep out of it if possible. People will wave their scarves and it will ripple out from the gallowgate naturally.

"Enjoy the game" has to go, absolute shite.

NE27 is right though, I can't remember a consistently loud atmosphere ever. Sure, when dramatic things are happening on the pitch, but it soon dies down when the game goes quiet. 

92/93 season was the only season I remember when the atmosphere was amazing all the way through. Been hitty missy for the rest of the time tbh but that was the biggest game at SJP in decades last night and the atmosphere was dreadful. One thing about NUFC fans is that for one off big games we could really raise the roof. Looks lile we're losing that ability now.

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

92/93 season was the only season I remember when the atmosphere was amazing all the way through. Been hitty missy for the rest of the time tbh but that was the biggest game at SJP in decades last night and the atmosphere was dreadful. One thing about NUFC fans is that for one off big games we could really raise the roof. Looks lile we're losing that ability now.

True, but honestly, that last decade of Ashley has changed it for me.

I was nervous last night even with the wealth of evidence that tells me we should and will beat Southampton at home with a 1 goal lead.

His version of nufc ruined something, hope probably.

8 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I'm not old enough to remember terracing as an adult so I can't pass any judgement there, but it feels like people are reimagining previous atmospheres at St James.

It's been poor for the majority for as long as I can remember. Mike Ashley royally fucked the club over in more ways than one, and the matchgoing fans being one of them.

Level 7 singing section were too vocal in their protests and were eventually turfed out, for the biggest family section in the league I think!? No mass move was allowed to another section and most people have ended up in areas without like-minded fans.

In the perfect world, 50k people would turn up and sing for 90 mins, but that has never ever been the case in my time supporting nufc.

The sport has changed and peoples outlook on football has changed. I've had mother's telling me off for telling the ref to fuck off man [emoji38]

Trust need to prioritise a ground reshuffle proposal to the club as soon as the summer for me, it's the only way to help push on the atmosphere.

Also, less gimmicks (wor flags aside) and quieter/no announcements or music prior to kick off.

Did enjoy hearing ACDC again mind.

You don't have to go back to the days of the terraces for when the atmosphere at games was great. The first 6 years of our time in the PL SJP was a bearpit, the best atmosphere in the country by a long way, and never went quiet in the way it does now. The expansion spoiled that to a degree but even for another 10 years it was still a lot better than what we witness now.

The desertion of the 10k a few years ago has really damaged the SJP atmosphere as its clear that the 10k included a lot of the more vocal supporters. And now we have all of this manufactured music dirge making things even worse.

3 minutes ago, petenufc1985 said:

The atmosphere was fucking crap in level 7 next to away fans, some people don't even seem bothered about what's happening on the pitch.

It was probably better in gallowgate/strawb corner though.

Out of interest did you try to start any chants?

I think L7 is a bigger issue than the atmosphere more generally. I was in the Gallowgate last night and the first 25 mins it was really pretty good. People understandably got nervous when they scored but there was still a sizeable contingent trying to sing throughout.

L7 during the Leicester game was a fucking morgue. 

I thought the atmosphere for the majority of the first half was really good in Gallowgate / Strawberry corner, as well as the south side of the Milburn. Very flat in the second half barring the last 15 mins, but I feel like that was due to the magnitude of the game and the way the team had dropped off.

Just now, petenufc1985 said:

I was also in L7 for Chelsea and the atmosphere was quite good.

I’d say L7 will always be hit n miss as it’s where the last lot of tickets are generally bought so just depends on the type of person lucky enough to get a ticket and where they are sat within the section.

Start of the PL era with Keegan was class and one of our more successful times(whilst winning nixxy).

We are 30 odd years deep now and our last 10 or so years have been soul destroying for me. Ashley literally stole my belief that Newcastle could be a top club ever again.

The weird thing for me with the SJP atmosphere is that in league games it's always been better than in the cups, but then we get to a semi, the season ticket holders come back, but it still has largely has that same cup atmosphere.

Last night was pure nerves from what I could tell.

17 minutes ago, Wandy said:

You don't have to go back to the days of the terraces for when the atmosphere at games was great. The first 6 years of our time in the PL SJP was a bearpit, the best atmosphere in the country by a long way, and never went quiet in the way it does now. The expansion spoiled that to a degree but even for another 10 years it was still a lot better than what we witness now.

The desertion of the 10k a few years ago has really damaged the SJP atmosphere as its clear that the 10k included a lot of the more vocal supporters. And now we have all of this manufactured music dirge making things even worse.

It really wasn't. I can remember when we beat Bolton in the January to go 12 points clear and looked like certs for the title and the place was absolutely dead! Worse than last night. We could raise the noise levels when the bigger teams rocked up here mind.

Edited by Wallsendmag