Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

think acoustics is one of the biggest problems, the noise just doesn't travel well at all. I sit bang in the middle of upper Gallowgate and it's massively noticeable. the corner and upper gallowgate (west) are never ever in sync.

can't hear a thing from any other area in the ground, even from the away fans.

also, wish someone would snap the announcers CDs in half, he's absolutely shite.

8 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

It really wasn't. I can remember when we beat Bolton in the January to go 12 points clear and looked like certs for the title and the place was absolutely dead! Worse than last night. We could raise the noise levels when the bigger teams rocked up here mind.

Really? I would have been at that game and have no memory of that happening.

I'm not saying that it could never go quiet but I don't remember it being so consistently silent like it is these days. And you can guarantee that 90s SJP would have been rocking last night. In the 2nd half the crowd would have picked up on the team struggling to find their rhythm and roared them on to give them a lift. Last night in that half the crowd sat like nervous sheep and waited for something to happen.

We can probably put last night down to nerves but it's not an isolated incident to witness such a poor atmosphere, so something has got to change.

Part of me thinks that similar to Wor Flags, we need a fan-lead initiative where a group of fans say right, we're going to all get seats next to each other and sing non-stop.

Another part of me thinks that you have to leave things as they are and that the best atmospheres happen organically 

20 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

If anyone wants to know how poor the atmosphere was around the beginning, at least, of the SBR era, I would suggest watching NUFC V Sheffield Wed. The 8-0 game. You cN almost hear a pin drop most of the game.

All seater killed the atmosphere as Ive said on here before. The transition over a couple of years from the old layout of standing ends and paddocks, to all seater, coupled with people being separated from their mates and other like minded souls did it. I dont believe its got much to do with the acoustics of the ground, as the old open gallowgate used to make more noise than the whole ground does now.  As Ive posted before, watch the NUFC v Charlton game when Keegan scored twice if you want to know what the atmosphere was like in the early 80s.

As someone who grew up on the Gallowgate corner, I always wished that the Gallowgate had a roof back then. Like you say, the noise it could make even without a roof was fantastic. With a roof it would have been unreal. It's the one thing I really envied the Mackems for back then, with the roof that they had over the Fulwell.

43 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Will Wembley allow flags at the final? Didn't the Mackems have an issue with their display when they reached the play-off final one year?

Plans are afoot.

I don't think they'd done their prep, to my understanding...

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Part of me thinks that similar to Wor Flags, we need a fan-lead initiative where a group of fans say right, we're going to all get seats next to each other and sing non-stop.

Another part of me thinks that you have to leave things as they are and that the best atmospheres happen organically 

I see what you mean, I don't like orchestrated atmospheres, but there's nothing organic about what we have now with people being seated randomly in rows alongside people they don't know and maybe don't like, as stewards gaze on at them trying to spot anyone standing up or saying naughty words. So... We are where we are I guess, until the club can assist with seat reallocations or terracing, at least.

This is essentially what happened during the first Championship season. Getting tickets, let alone ones close to each another, wasn’t a fucking ordeal then though.

Need to be like Eddie going to Simeone and send a few lads to Argentina, figure out how they do it.

42 minutes ago, Big River said:

we might need to bring back the Toon Ultras

They used to get nothing but shite from the rest of the support as well. Place is dying  for summit like that now

Edited by jack j

Little know fact that ace referee and all-round nice guy Paul Mosley (PM on here) was once top boy in the Toon Ultras.

Used to love sitting up amongst them for the European games, it was like a different world to the Milburn Paddock.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

100% agree but that will only happen if safe standing singimg section are permitted with forced moves.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

We 100% do. Just with less paedophilia.

Thanks for the reminder that I was most definitely groomed for a bit by L****sy or whatever he was called. Trying to meet up with me after the game to buy me drinks (I was 13 :lol:)

Edited by TheGuv

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Little know fact that ace referee and all-round nice guy Paul Mosley (PM on here) was once top boy in the Toon Ultras.

Used to love sitting up amongst them for the European games, it was like a different world to the Milburn Paddock.

:rose:He still reads the forum regularly too.  Had some great nights up at the back of Level 7!  Would be great if a proper singing section could get going again, the folk in the Strawberry Corner do an admirable job but it just doesn't transmit to the rest of the stadium.  I was in Bar 1892 last night and bar the goals and beginning/end of the game it was rubbish, you can almost feel people's eyes burning through the back of your head when you dare to stand up.

2 hours ago, jack j said:

They used to get nothing but shite from the rest of the support as well. Place is dying  for summit like that now

Yep, everyone thought we were charvas, and bairns and hooligans and all this shit. Was more like a junior Wor Flags tbh.