Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

• 2 weeks later...

One big flag and loads of stickers with "Wheres the money gone Mike" in Sports Direct colours, we could even have a competition to see who can stick their stickers in the most original or far away places

• 1 month later...

Hiya lads and lasses, just to give you all an update.

We decided to get a new surfer a while back as WAU is getting a bit bashed and needs a bit of TLC so we set up a gofundme 5 months ago but due to the general air of gloom it sort of took a back seat.

Since Almiron's arrival there seems to be a bit of a buzz around again and after the reaction to his display we thought we'd test the water and push it again thinking there might be a little bit of interest.

Bloody hell its gone nuts !

We're only pushing it on FB and Twitter so far but we've raised nearly 4 grand in 2 days !!

The WAU was £3,300 but we thought bugger it we'll go bigger. After lots of discussion we ended up deciding to fill the whole  Gallowgate, this we believe will be a UK record size for a flag.

It will weigh 35 stone and cost the thick end of 15 grand !!

The basic theme will be to celebrate Tyneside/ Northumberland and a little bit of Co Durham. It's not quite finalised but will be our proud heritage, landmarks etc.

Obviously NUFC features quite a bit !

We have a plan in place to form the letters of a phrase/name we're putting on from the names of every person who donates. Donaters can also leave the names of folk they'd like to be next to in the comments, family members etc.

So basically could all you fine folk click on the link above and donate whatever you can.

Myself and Heron have always noticed that when we mention stuff in this place there's always a mini surge in donations so thank you all for your continued support. We realise not everyone loves this stuff but I believe the vast majority do.

We decided to get a new surfer a while back as WAU is getting a bit bashed and needs a bit of TLC so we set up a gofundme 5 months ago but due to the general air of gloom it sort of took a back seat.

Since Almiron's arrival there seems to be a bit of a buzz around again and after the reaction to his display we thought we'd test the water and push it again thinking there might be a little bit of interest.

We're only pushing it on FB and Twitter so far but we've raised nearly 4 grand in 2 days !!

The WAU was £3,300 but we thought bugger it we'll go bigger. After lots of discussion we ended up deciding to fill the whole  Gallowgate, this we believe will be a UK record size for a flag.

The basic theme will be to celebrate Tyneside/ Northumberland and a little bit of Co Durham. It's not quite finalised but will be our proud heritage, landmarks etc.

We have a plan in place to form the letters of a phrase/name we're putting on from the names of every person who donates. Donaters can also leave the names of folk they'd like to be next to in the comments, family members etc.

So basically could all you fine folk click on the link above and donate whatever you can.

Myself and Heron have always noticed that when we mention stuff in this place there's always a mini surge in donations so thank you all for your continued support. We realise not everyone loves this stuff but I believe the vast majority do.

An excellent idea for the full stand surfer, and I have donated.

My personal opinion is that it should just be focused on Newcastle United/Newcastle instead of a mix and I think it could easily become too much, however that’s just my opinion and I look forward to the final product.

An idea for going forward, it’s not neccasaitly flags but could we organise people bringing back scarves? I loved it when the whole stadium would swirl a scarf altogether.

Donated earlier but forgot to leave the name comment, will happily donate again. Where do you put it though? Probably being stupid but you put it in the comment box on the donation page right? That doesnt show up on the main fundraiser page?

Donated earlier but forgot to leave the name comment, will happily donate again. Where do you put it though? Probably being stupid but you put it in the comment box on the donation page right? That doesnt show up on the main fundraiser page?

Unless you tick the box then your name shows up. Your name will always show up for the person who set up the go fund me page in anyway.

Guest godzilla

An excellent idea for the full stand surfer, and I have donated.

My personal opinion is that it should just be focused on Newcastle United/Newcastle instead of a mix and I think it could easily become too much, however that’s just my opinion and I look forward to the final product.

An idea for going forward, it’s not neccasaitly flags but could we organise people bringing back scarves? I loved it when the whole stadium would swirl a scarf altogether.

Yeah I agree - Durham is basically Sunderland territory not Newcastle. I know we have a fair amount of support in the are but no I cerainly wouldn't have Durham as part of the flag. If the mackems ever did a flag with anything Newcastle included we would be laughing our cocks off and embarrased for them.

Durham has always had loads of Newcastle fans, it would be a mistake imo to ignore that fact, Washington too far that matter. Seems like Mackem propaganda about their support may be fooling some. Let the Mackems have a dig if they want it shouldn’t stop us celebrating where our support comes from.

Is this planned for this season or next? My knowledge of the timeframe for flags being designed/printed isn't great, so no idea if it would take a few weeks or months!

Guest godzilla

Support comes from every branch of the country; why don't you include Sunderland, Washington, Berwick also as we have a fair number of support from these areas also. Durham is a lot more closely associated with Sunderland (before the change of county lines it was part of Durham) than Newcastle IMHO of course; but I'm not creating the flag so it's up to the people who are to choose what to include.