Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

Guest reefatoon

It just reminds me of the fantastic Keegan years in the 90's. Everytime i hear it I just go back to then and how fucking amazing supporting the club was.

Edited by reefatoon

When I was younger and hadn't had a chance to get to SJP, it was synonymous with tuning in to the TV just in time to watch the match. Now, whenever I do get up for a match, it still gives me goosebumps to hear it in person.

The lad who plays electric guitar on Northumberland Street once played a rendition of local hero, and I kid you not, people all around slowed down and stopped to listen like nothing I'd never seen before. It was inspirational, even if it was outside of Eat4Less [emoji38]

27 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Out of interest when did it start being used as 'our song' at SJP? Film was 1983 - so not long after that I assume?

At all absolute minimum we were playing it in the 1992 promotion season, and constantly after that for at least a decade.

The final crescendo absolutely gives me chills through my body.

I fucking love it and for being a sax solo it properely pumps me up[emoji38]

Loses its effect a bit because of that dogshit PL anthem that cuts the song in half mind.

33 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

It just reminds me of the fantastic Keegan years in the 90's. Everytime i hear it I just go back to then and how fucking amazing supporting the club was.

I remember we used to come out to 'Simply the Best' in the 92/93 promotion season.

1 hour ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Didn't Ashley (may have been Fat Sam's idea from memory) get rid of it for a while? I'm sure we walked out to Sham 69 for a bit during the 07/08 season - and possibly beyond.

Yes, they claimed it was because the players felt it was Shearer's song which was utter bollocks.

3 hours ago, pedro111 said:

Some Mark Knopfler Geordie magic that's what it is. I know it was written for a film set in Scotland but it just connects so well with NUFC and the local area. How anyone cannot get it is beyond me.

You do know Mark Knopfler was born in Glasgow 😳

Guest reefatoon
11 minutes ago, RS said:

Her with the beehive out of the B52’s used to work in the coach and horses on wallsend high street. 
“Love Shack” could be the new Saudi walk out song 

Think it was the Anson wasn’t it?

Wish Local Hero would play the whole way through, tends to get cut off now due to that shite PL theme which has to be played and our nonce of an announcer who reads the team out for a second time in 15 minutes before kick off. Let it play man.

2 hours ago, Nepharite said:

You do know Mark Knopfler was born in Glasgow 😳

Of course i do. Born in Glasgow and brought up in Newcastle and is very much a Geordie. Can think of at least 5 of his songs which reference Newcastle the Tyne and surrounding areas like Whitley Bay, Cullercoats etc. 

Tunnel of Love, Sailing to Philadelphia, Why Aye Man and Southbound again which is about leaving Newcaslte by train. Down to the Waterline imagines the Quayside. There is a good YouTube clip of him and Brian Johnson back in Newcastle a couple of years ago.

6 hours ago, pedro111 said:

Some Mark Knopfler Geordie magic that's what it is. I know it was written for a film set in Scotland but it just connects so well with NUFC and the local area. How anyone cannot get it is beyond me.

Was queuing on the Central Motorway, ready to start the Great North Run last month and Local Hero came on. Tears instantly in the eyes. :lol: 

46 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Of course i do. Born in Glasgow and brought up in Newcastle and is very much a Geordie. Can think of at least 5 of his songs which reference Newcastle the Tyne and surrounding areas like Whitley Bay, Cullercoats etc. 

Tunnel of Love, Sailing to Philadelphia, Why Aye Man and Southbound again which is about leaving Newcaslte by train. Down to the Waterline imagines the Quayside. There is a good YouTube clip of him and Brian Johnson back in Newcastle a couple of years ago.

I remember causing quite a stir in the row of the East Stand I used to sit in when I revealed to all around me his Scottish origins. The phones all came out to check the validity of my claim. The Wifi signal was awful as usual and they were all getting frustrated.

8 hours ago, Chicken Dancer said:

They deserve their tickets back more than any other. Apart from Rafa and a select few others, these really have been the shining light of NUFC in the Ashley era.

Good on them for taking a stand too, when the trust perhaps didn't. Will always have my respect, as speaking from personal experience it wasn't easy. Top work @Heron and all the others involved. Fucking class.

Cheers mate, really appreciate it!