Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Feels like most of his time here has been epilogue. But a brilliant signing overall given his fantastic contribution in the Championship. A good bloke too.

CC: Ciaran Clark, Matt Ritchie, Isaac Hayden...

2 hours ago, Minhosa said:

Bit disappointed we didn't get any sort of fee for him tbh. He's basically guaranteed goals at that level therefore, even on a hefty salary, he'd surely be worth a few million?

As it is, we're probably funding some of his wages too.

Regardless, wish him well and he goes with plenty of good wishes.

Not much we could have done about itbh, it was badly mishandled years ago when we were trying to get £15m for him instead of £10m back when Ashley was here. Now he's worth what he's worth, no one wants to pay a fee for a 33 yr old and PL wages.

1 hour ago, midds said:

Speaks volumes of the recruitment policy that's been in operation for the last few years that we've amassed a standard of players that is literally worthless. Hayden, Clark, Hendrick, Gayle, Woodman have all left without bringing in a fucking bean. We've essentially given them away as no other club deems them even worthy of a nominal fee. Another example of Ashley being such a fantastic businessman - allowing a fucking moron to accumulate players who tank in value so much they literally worthless. 

Problem being is there are another 3 or 4 at least who are in a similar boat - worthless and unwanted, stuck on hefty contracts because they simply couldn't be fucking bothered to scout for better. It's fucking scandalous how they used to run the gaff. 

We only paid fees for three of them and all were more than worth what we paid in terms of getting us back into the PL.

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

There’s no guarantee he’s staying. Let’s see where we are at the end of the window. Ritchie won’t want another season of no first team football

I'm sure he will be more than happy to assuming he's getting paid three or four times what he would at any championship club.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Him, Ritchie and Clark were absolutely phenomenal signings like. Pissed me off no end when folk would slag off Rafa's signings. He built a team that won the league whilst certain other fat messes were spending in greater numbers to achieve bottom half finishes. 

Are you calling Benitez fat? Careful or the Rafia on here will put a contract out on you.

36 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Feels like most of his time here has been epilogue. But a brilliant signing overall given his fantastic contribution in the Championship. A good bloke too.

As an aside, his brother Dean, who was in my class at school and lobbed a dictionary at James Hancock in English in Year 10 - knocking him clean out - was an absolute fucking cunt. [emoji38]

26 minutes ago, Beth said:

I'm sure he will be more than happy to assuming he's getting paid three or four times what he would at any championship club.

If that’s what you’ve taken from watching him for the past 5 years you’re a terrible judge. He loves the game and battle more than anyone else in the squad. He’ll fucking hate every minute on the bench

I thought he was unlucky not to get more game time in the first season back up, and found it a bit weird that Rafa straight away on promotion didn’t seem keen on him. Since then he’s contributed nothing, which is weird and sad because I had time for him. Best of luck you odd, odd looking man.

A clever signing.by Rafa to get Dwight in for us in the Championship. Did his job, phenomenal season. Didn't work out too well for us in thr PL but he continued being a good pro. Good luck to the lad and hope he does really well at Stoke.

He must be for the younger ones something like my generation's Ned Kelly.  Excellent Division Two centre forward, not quite top-flight quality.  The difference is Keegan sold Kelly as he'd bought Andy Cole, but Gayle was here under Ashley's ownership ... a pity, as I think he'd be even more fondly remembered if he'd been sold when he should (immediately after promotion).  Still a top gadgie as far as I'm concerned - and not to blame for the club offering him a daft contract

10 hours ago, gdm said:

No disrespect to Gayle & the others that have left but how good is it to be getting rid of players that aren’t good enough to be playing for this club now. Under Ashley Hayden still starts, Clark and Gayle make the bench and Woodman is still touted as the future

Bit harsh to apply that to the players, even if you don't mean any disrespect. Gayle et al would have done a job in the Championship when we were inevitably relegated again.  They might not be PL players, but we can hardly claim we were a PL club.

Basically, it's nice to be able to claim we ARE a PL club now.

Edited by Happinesstan

20 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Waiting for this one to go through before bringing a replacement in?

Just waiting to get numbers down in general I reckon and that’s around four now we’ve moved on this window?

That’s decent and moving on these type of players every window is important

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

Bit harsh to apply that to the players, even if you don't mean any disrespect. Gayle et al would have done a job in the Championship when we were inevitably relegated again.  They might not be PL players, but we can hardly claim we were a PL club.

Basically, it's nice to be able to claim we ARE a PL club now.

Haha I was confused for a min but realised you meant we’d be a championship club if Ashley was still here. That’s a fair point 

Hopefully he hasn't wasted his last good years on the bench with us when he could've spent them being a Champo hero.

Wish him all the best and will definitely look out for if he gets himself back on the goal trail. 

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

Hopefully he hasn't wasted his last good years on the bench with us when he could've spent them being a Champo hero.

Wish him all the best and will definitely look out for if he gets himself back on the goal trail. 

Think he’ll be shite. Too much loafing for too long.