Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

I guess we're going to find out of the claims from certain people on here that Gayle would be a leading striker for most championship teams are true.

We'll probably find out of he'd be a leading striker for most league one teams before he leaves tbf

I really dont understand this, and that's on Gayle's part. He would surely do better elsewhere, he doesn't look happy here, he's played out of position, and worse players are selected ahead of him. 

Bizarre, the lad could have a final good few years elsewhere, and he chooses this shit.

Edited by mighty__mag

No chance in hell that I will be watching the likes of Gayle, Shelvey, Ritchie, Clark and Manquillo in the championship under the ownership of Ashley and probable management of Bruce. I’ll be switching off full stop from that shitshow. 

It’s a solid signing for the Championship, but it sums this club up. Instead of investing in a better player who would work better in the Championship or be a better alternative off the bench in the Premier League they take the cheap option.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He might not want to stay, he might just want to secure 3 years of salary in case he can't get a move or gets injured before the transfer window.

If his family live here and are settled then at his age/injury record he'd be daft not too. 

8 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Our strikers for next season in the fizzy perp league will be Gayle, Joe Lintone, and Carroll.

Of those 3, who will score fairly regularly?

None. Injuries will blight 2 of them, the other is dogshit in front of goal.

20 minutes ago, hakka said:

None. Injuries will blight 2 of them, the other is dogshit in front of goal.

In fairness, all three are dogshit in front of goal these days. I suppose Gayle might have a chance if we just leave him in the box and somehow find someone to get the ball to him.

Maybe Atsu and Murphy will be those players.

3 hours ago, hakka said:

Keeping Gayle is clearly assuming relegation. You wouldn't even want him as back up in the PL as he has shown to be ineffective at this level. Very grim stuff.

He can barely get a game despite Joelinton struggling all season. That shows quite clearly he's been signed on again for the championship. He'll get injured and miss most of the season anyway so he'll be sitting pretty. 

This would have been the equivalent of Keegan keeping hold of David Kelly as back up for our first season back up, going out on loan for a season the next, then being knackered for a couple of seasons playing the Paul Kitson role as last resort before Dalglish popped up and gave him a nice juicy 3 year deal. It’s ludicrous.

So Gayle signing a 3 year deal and Murphy close to signing a new deal too. That seems to suggest the club have already accepted relegation. It's just baffling any way you look at it. Takeover on, takeover off. Why would Ashley settle for relegation?