Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Saw Dwight Gayle yesterday, he was in the car park at Newburn Leisure Centre when I arrived late morning for my sons match.  I asked him if it was OK to get a photo of my son and him together and he was more than happy to.  He was really quite nice, he gave two young kids who were hanging around some boots and shin pads out of his boot and stayed around for ages chatting to people.  Not at all in a hurry to get away or avoid people.  He must be pretty pissed off that even with Wilson injured that he is not getting anywhere near to playing....  don't get me wrong, I know he is limited but, he is a striker and definitely puts in more effort that Joelinton when given the chance.  Although I am equally sure that his salary cheque each week helps to ease that pain.....

28 minutes ago, Ed210 said:

Joe contributes far more in a game than Gayle. He might score the odd goal but he is anonymous 99% of the time. 

I'm not even a Gayle fan and think he is just a good Championship player.  But I think 99% seems a bit extreme!  Especially when comparing him to such a poor player. 

What does Joelinton offer exactly?  Occasionally he shows the odd bit of skill and nice touches in tight areas.  But he never gets into the box or looks like scoring, he's slow, he's weak for his size, he doesn't seem to have a position and he's very rarely getting in behind or on the end of a cross.  He's just such a nothing player and seems like his confidence is shot to bits, or worse, he doesn't give a toss.  

13 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I'm not even a Gayle fan and think he is just a good Championship player.  But I think 99% seems a bit extreme!  Especially when comparing him to such a poor player. 

What does Joelinton offer exactly?  Occasionally he shows the odd bit of skill and nice touches in tight areas.  But he never gets into the box or looks like scoring, he's slow, he's weak for his size, he doesn't seem to have a position and he's very rarely getting in behind or on the end of a cross.  He's just such a nothing player and seems like his confidence is shot to bits, or worse, he doesn't give a toss.  

maybe it’s due to the fact we have only seen him whilst he has been managed by an imbecile?

40 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He's still the best option we have by far, makes no sense not playing him. ASM is neutralised by not playing on the left, Joelinton is irrelevant to the game. You only have to be able to jog and kick to be a better option, it's idiotic.

"Which absolute dog shite striker can we pick today?"

What a time to be a Newcastle fan. 

Have a hard time sympathizing with Gayle. He had ample opportunities to leave but turned moves down due to money.

He is just a part of two handfuls of players that would have been shipped out under rafa or a competent manager and are simply no better than premiership squad players at best.

Dunno if anyone remembers last season when ASM was back after injury/covid, there was a video of training, and ASM being interviewed, Gayle jogs past and sarcastically mutters “The saviour of Newcastle”, thought he was an absolute bellend from that point.

I’ve no time for him, or sympathy. He’s seemed happy to pick up wages and not play the last 2 seasons, what should essentially be the peak of his career.

The argument about Gayle being crap at getting into games is a fair point, but when all is said and done you need to score goals to win games. I don’t think it’s necessarily an argument of Joelinton vs Gayle tbh. If your second striker (Gayle) has a specific set of strengths and weaknesses that are different to your first choice, well then the system you use should be adapted to try and reduce the impact of the weaknesses and play to his strengths. It would require some form of plan which we clearly do not have. Gayle has to start games when Wilson is out. He is the only other striker we have that can finish chances. In fact we don’t even have another striker.

Despite his shitty attitude I'd have Gayle starting ahead of Linton every single game. The most tragic thing is we gave him an extended contract in the vain hope of getting a transfer fee for him rather than him fucking off on a free, which we will do in three years time anyway with him having scored maybe 10 more goals in total.

Edited by Beth

On 17/09/2021 at 07:44, Optimistic Nut said:

Even then he misses a decent number.

Yeah, when you don't do much else you need to be a pretty clinical finisher. But Gayle is a goal scorer, given our lack of them, then it's a surprise Bruce hasn't found a place for him. But then Bruce doesn't seem to have much of a clue in any area of the pitch. 

Joelinton has a better game outside the box and can somewhat contribute to overall team play but is dogshit in the box and in front of goal

Gayle is literally dogshit everywhere besides the odd goal and is not a stranger to missing sitters (Remember the Man City one from last year? Still haunts me).

Basically its like comparing whether you prefer a holiday with ISIS or Al Qaeda.

Edited by Amir_9

Became a completely different player after we came up to the PL. I really liked his attitude and style of play in the Championship under Rafa but has looked nothing but a moody, confidence lacking backup striker if I’ve ever seen one.