Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Not his fault we didn't ship him the moment we sealed promotion with Rafa if you ask me.  There was plenty of money swimming about the champo then and we should have forced him out and recouped a decent fee instead of the usual bollocks we do to try and avoid spending money.

Who knows if we'd done that then we might have no ended up with Joelinton.

• 3 months later...

Page 4 before I could find his thread. :lol:

Time for his agent to find him another club. Wood and possibly Ekitike (U21, does not need squad registration) means we have to clear a slot. Took us out from the Championship but another player whom we kept for far too long. Non-entity for the past few years.

I always liked him. Was stupidly good in the Championship and never forced any of the usual mawkish crap to try and win favour with the fans. He just got his head down and did his best.

Lives next to my mum and dad in Medburn. Really nice lad apparently and should leave here with nothing but good wishes. 

He has repaid what we paid for him. I think due to his pretty quiet/laidback personality and average record in the prem is why he was never really a fan favourite but by all means did his job to his best ability and that's all you can ask. I still wouldn't get rid this month but should be heading out end of the season for sure.

I always thought he got slightly shafted bu Rafa - for me he’d earned a crack at being the main man for the first season back up, at least until Christmas. I trust Rafa but just thought it became too public knowledge too quickly that he didn’t think Gayle was up to it, needless knock to his confidence. 

For the present moment though it’s just a situation that’s gone on way too long with no manager or fan believing in him while he sucks up his wages.

He still has another 2.5 years to go on his latest deal which will be way more then he'd get anywhere else. He's going nowhere other than out on loan with us still paying the majority of his wage.

Wish he'd been fit for the FA cup game. He hasn't had much of a chance to do anything since Howe came in, and I really thought he'd be starting on Saturday, was shocked to see him missing from the squad. Assumed he'd fallen out with EH until I heard about the Covid. 

I quite like Dwight Gayle and think he should have been tried more. He's limited as a Prem striker of course, but the key stat is how many minutes did Bruce play Joelinton at CF and what did it produce? I think Gayle would have contributed more had he been given the chance. We would probably have seen more from Joelinton earlier too had he been tried in a deeper position. It felt like Bruce was playing Joelinton at CF simply to appease Ashley for big punt on him.

On balance. He turned down chances to move on to sit on the bench or because he didn't fancy the Championship, likewise had that bust up with Jones earlier this season.  

Could be said he hasn't had a fair shake of first team games but he has also been crocked and looked no better than anyone else, if not worse when given the chance. 

Don't have any ill will towards him but happy to see him out and replaced. Three years too late.

21 minutes ago, toontownman said:

On balance. He turned down chances to move on to sit on the bench or because he didn't fancy the Championship, likewise had that bust up with Jones earlier this season.  

Could be said he hasn't had a fair shake of first team games but he has also been crocked and looked no better than anyone else, if not worse when given the chance. 

Don't have any ill will towards him but happy to see him out and replaced. Three years too late.

He’s had ample opportunity to show he could be the guy and fluffed numerous chances. He knew a move would mean a pay cut, so I won’t be devastated when he leaves.

• 4 months later...