Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Guest godzilla

There’s nothing to suggest we wouldn’t have if Joelinton had played there though? Now we look safe we’d be better off giving someone who may turn out better with more support now than persist with someone who we know isn’t Premier League level.

Just the full season demonstrates that it wouldn’t be better,. The amount of times he is nowhere near the penalty box is criminal He has been guilty of misses just as bad as Gayle also on numerous occasions. Just don’t get this thing some have about Joelinton, when ex players like Shearer, McDonald and Quinn are questioning his ability, it tells you something as all 3 certainly knew the striker role. I wouldn’t have either in the team currently but at a push I’d have Gayle as he certainly offers more.

There’s nothing to suggest we wouldn’t have if Joelinton had played there though? Now we look safe we’d be better off giving someone who may turn out better with more support now than persist with someone who we know isn’t Premier League level.

Just the full season demonstrates that it wouldn’t be better,. The amount of times he is nowhere near the penalty box is criminal He has been guilty of misses just as bad as Gayle also on numerous occasions. Just don’t get this thing some have about Joelinton, when ex players like Shearer, McDonald and Quinn are questioning his ability, it tells you something as all 3 certainly knew the striker role. I wouldn’t have either in the team currently but at a push I’d have Gayle as he certainly offers more.

nobody is saying he should be playing central striker are they?  quite the opposite for me

bit in bold is important like, it's a clear problem but i do wonder what gets worked on with him during coaching because that IS the kind of thing coaching can improve yet he's actually getting worse in this area imo

he's not lazy, again imo, but is possibly the type of player that needs strict instructions and coaching

that's why managers and coaches exist of course, to improve the performance of players - PFMs like shearer and macdonald aren't worth listening to man, it's always the players fault with them never the manager until the moment the manager gets sacked

well lets say he can't play as a lone striker then, standing 20-30 yards from his nearest teammate and having 60 yard balls launched at him ain't his thing :lol:

i'd play the same system as yesterday with him, ASM, Almiron behind Gayle until the end of the season to see if they can find an understanding, but i suppose that would presume bruce knows what the fuck he's doing

59 in 100 in the Championship.

21 in 111 in the Premier League.

Perfect example of a Championship striker in the Earnshaw, Graham, Beckford bracket.

And Joelinton isn't even in that bracket. At least with Gayle we actually look like we have a chance at scoring.

It looks like Joelinton and ASM both prefer playing on the left and Almiron just behind the striker. I thought we looked poor yesterday when we put ASM to the right.

So one of Gayle or Joelinton will have to be on the bench imo and Lazaro should be on the right. Bruce will probably stick with Ritchie or put Almiron over there though

Guest godzilla

nobody is saying he should be playing central striker are they?  quite the opposite for me

bit in bold is important like, it's a clear problem but i do wonder what gets worked on with him during coaching because that IS the kind of thing coaching can improve yet he's actually getting worse in this area imo

he's not lazy, again imo, but is possibly the type of player that needs strict instructions and coaching

that's why managers and coaches exist of course, to improve the performance of players - PFMs like shearer and macdonald aren't worth listening to man, it's always the players fault with them never the manager until the moment the manager gets sacked

He was bought to play as a central striker though. I have not seen one thing to demonstrate he is anything like a Premier League standard player never mind a 40 million one. Shearer and McDonald were both top class strikers and certainly will know a players quality in that role that's for sure. Players with ability (i.e. Ben Arfa) will show even glimpses of this no matter the setup. Whilst I agree top coaches will develop and improve that ability, the player has to have that ability in the first place for that to really bear fruition. Our former manager didn't want Joelington at even half that price.

He was bought to play as a central striker though. I have not seen one thing to demonstrate he is anything like a Premier League standard player never mind a 40 million one. Shearer and McDonald were both top class strikers and certainly will know a players quality in that role that's for sure. Players with ability (i.e. Ben Arfa) will show even glimpses of this no matter the setup. Whilst I agree top coaches will develop and improve that ability, the player has to have that ability in the first place for that to really bear fruition. Our former manager didn't want Joelington at even half that price.

sure but we know all this, the £40m has been paid and there's nothing we can do about it now so surely the best solution would be if our coach did something to get an end product out of the lad because he's not going anywhere and we're very unlikely to go and spend another £40m on a striker that can play up top on his own

aye gayle, he'll get one every 10 or something but at least he's in position to miss them

Agreed. If we'd started Joelinton up front yesterday he would have probably been lingering outside the box for all of those chances that Gayle missed.

It's incredible to me that we have had Joelinton stuck upfront alone in that awful formation all season, and now we have finally changed to a more attacking formation that can help him actually start to develop more as a striker, we've benched him :lol:

Benching him for a striker that we were trying to get rid of previously and who is no long term solution and who continuously proves to be unreliable.

So typical. So ridiculous. So unsurprising.

aye gayle, he'll get one every 10 or something but at least he's in position to miss them

Agreed. If we'd started Joelinton up front yesterday he would have probably been lingering outside the box for all of those chances that Gayle missed.

Him 'lingering' outside the box in this setup allowed Almiron to get in behind and score his first against WBA.

He also set up Almiron's second with a clever back heel while in the box against WBA.

He also linked well with ASM to lay it off for his strike off the post against WBA.

I'd argue that with Joelinton we likely see the attacking midfielders become more of a threat in general.

Not as straight forward as 'he's not in the box, so no goals!'. Goodness sake.

Id like to see Muto given a chance between now and end of season..is he still injured?

He was fit again at the same time as Gayle. After Bruce complained he had no striker cover, as soon as Muto recovered he hasn't been in the squad. I think he was on the bench a couple of weeks ago.

He's in the latest training pictures.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/galleries/toon-in-training-all-set-for-the-saints/