Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Guest Howaythetoon

59 in 100 in the Championship.

21 in 111 in the Premier League.

Perfect example of a Championship striker in the Earnshaw, Graham, Beckford Young Andy Cole bracket.

Id like to see Muto given a chance between now and end of season..is he still injured?

No just still shit.

Always handy to have a couple of shit strikers on hand in case one gets injured.

Play Joe wide right. He can be the new Sissoko.

No way is he a wide attacking player.  He is definitely not a centre forward.  It's simple really.  Do not let him anywhere near the first team.

But weird how so many have turned on Gayle. Done so much more than so many for the club.

Think it's more to do with him getting over praised just to have a go at Joelinton. I've always liked Gayle, but he's struggled for goals and fitness since we got promoted.

Feels like we've said it of so many players/people through the Ashley years, but it was clear as day two years ago that Gayle had to be ungraded on. Two years on and we're still relying on him. It's ridiculous and, in a sentimental way, unfair on the guy. If he'd left permanently in summer '18 he'd be tearing it up in the Championship and would be remembered here as a vital contributor to our promotion and consolidation.

Christ knows what we're gonna be saying about Shelvey and Ritchie in three years' time. Folks will barely even remember their positive contributions by the time they're gone.

Thought he was good for us in the Championship but what we’ve done with Gayle is the equivalent of us not upgrading on David Kelly after promotion (I know we signed Cole a few months before but point stands). Criminal that he’s still starting for us 3 years after promotion.

Feels like we've said it of so many players/people through the Ashley years, but it was clear as day two years ago that Gayle had to be ungraded on. Two years on and we're still relying on him. It's ridiculous and, in a sentimental way, unfair on the guy. If he'd left permanently in summer '18 he'd be tearing it up in the Championship and would be remembered here as a vital contributor to our promotion and consolidation.

Christ knows what we're gonna be saying about Shelvey and Ritchie in three years' time. Folks will barely even remember their positive contributions by the time they're gone.

People refuse to acknowledge his positive contributions the moment they happen.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Probably said elsewhere, but the big difference between Gayle and Joe Linton is that Gayle actually gets into positions to score. Gayle's movement into scoring positions is miles better and more instinctive than Linton's. Aye, Gayle's finishing stats are fucking dreadful in the premier league, but he does actually get into goalscoring positions, whereas Lintonsy just doesn't. Because he isn't a central striker. Yet.

I've never taken to Gayle as a player for some reason. I have a fondness for his Championship season with us, but of all the "prolific" strikers we've had over the years, he's some way down my list of favourites.

That said, I like to think I'm rational enough to praise him when he's deserving of it, even if he's not one of my favourite players.

But weird how so many have turned on Gayle. Done so much more than so many for the club.

Think it's more to do with him getting over praised just to have a go at Joelinton. I've always liked Gayle, but he's struggled for goals and fitness since we got promoted.

Should have just swapped him for Rondon.

My criticism of Gayle is 100% based on the fact that he's an unreliable striker for this club today because of 1) injury issues destroying his pace and time on the pitch and 2) he's not scoring the goals.

He should have gone a year+ ago - there is no question he was fantastic for us in the Championship and by all accounts a really good guy on and off the pitch. So no issue there. The sentimental attachment just simply has to be removed - he's not good enough in his current health/form. 

Guest NobbyOhNobby

My criticism of Gayle is 100% based on the fact that he's an unreliable striker for this club today because of 1) injury issues destroying his pace and time on the pitch and 2) he's not scoring the goals.

He should have gone a year+ ago - there is no question he was fantastic for us in the Championship and by all accounts a really good guy on and off the pitch. So no issue there. The sentimental attachment just simply has to be removed - he's not good enough in his current health/form. 

But better than the alternative who - through no fault of his own - is not fit for purpose.

We genuinely would've been better off keeping Joselu

Probably said elsewhere, but the big difference between Gayle and Joe Linton is that Gayle actually gets into positions to score. Gayle's movement into scoring positions is miles better and more instinctive than Linton's. Aye, Gayle's finishing stats are fucking dreadful in the premier league, but he does actually get into goalscoring positions, whereas Lintonsy just doesn't. Because he isn't a central striker. Yet.

But Joelinton does set up more chances for teammates when they actually get up in support of him.

Probably said elsewhere, but the big difference between Gayle and Joe Linton is that Gayle actually gets into positions to score. Gayle's movement into scoring positions is miles better and more instinctive than Linton's. Aye, Gayle's finishing stats are f***ing dreadful in the premier league, but he does actually get into goalscoring positions, whereas Lintonsy just doesn't. Because he isn't a central striker. Yet.

But Joelinton does set up more chances for teammates when they actually get up in support of him.

I'm not sure that's true. Gayle's support play is quite good, played a great through ball to ASM at the weekend to put him through on goal