Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HTT II

His leadership and commitment is second to none, shit footballer who should have been peddled along time ago, but in this current team, he’s been massive. 

We know he does need replacing if we are to improve the team, but I have to say his attitude and committment since he has came back has been second to none. He could very easily after the Bruce carry on said 'fuck it', he didn't and you have to give big credit to him for this. 

Edited by et tu brute

Remember when the manager fucked him about sending him down to Bournemouth before canning the move before throwing him under the bus after a shite result then got pissy and shoulder barged him on the training ground? I can only assume that was all just belting man-management and the players definitely aren't pulling us through in spite of the troglodyte in the dugout. Manager of the month! 

He does, but I don't think there's many in the squad who you could accuse of not caring. It's a big reason why relegation has been comfortably avoided: they care.

The talented-but-couldn't-give-a-fuck brigade were cleared out by Rafa, and were replaced with many players over those three years who are still here and have retained very high standards when it comes to workrate and application. 

• 6 months later...

I'd genuinely love to know how many goals he's been directly responsible for us conceding. The fact we've persisted for so long to play someone who isnt a defender in a defensive position has been a major contribution to us being in this position. Moving him out for an actual LB would bring drastic improvements in results. We'd concede noticeably less imo

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I had a quick look and inSTAT has him as having 7 errors this seasons leading to a goal. Haven’t compared with others though 

Was going to ask if anyone knew how many he’d been responsible for, was thinking about 8 or 9.

48 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

His entire career he’s had 37. So 14 of them in the last two seasons. @Richdo you have any access to like attacking zones oppo data against us?

So a lot of those will be errors he's made defending, whilst playing in an attacking role over a number of years, Id imagine? I dont remember him being a LB before us. He's played there for us what 3 years now? Responsible for 21+ if you try and follow the trend?

38 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Never in a million years a left back. Was once a competent midfielder who is now far too slow for top level football.

Yep. The spirit is willing, the body just can't fulfill any more. 

I feel a bit sad thinking about Ritchie. 

Around the time Rafa Benitez left I thought he was primed for status as a Cult Hero that could ride off into the sunset, ala Kevin Nolan. Instead, and I don't blame him for this, he's hung around and got older, slower, and moved further back to the point where I believe every team sees him as a point of vulnerability. I can't question the guy's commitment or his willingness to do better next week, but the same is true of John Beresford and I wouldn't want him starting midweek either. 

I like Ritchie, he plays his heart out for the club, never a lack of effort from him.

But oh my fucking god, Newcastle managers, STOP PLAYING HIM DEFENSIVELY. His defending ability is absolutely shocking, he should play as a winger and nothing more.